- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Yes, I was running out of words for chapter names... that obvious?






Amber thinks about how strange the day turned out. The party yesterday was different than usual due to Kate's appearance and this whole get-together thing. Andrea also told her a lot of new things. But today...

First her and Kate's confessions and.. Amber has no idea what to think about that. “Stop killing them” - from Kate's mouth, it sounded like something obvious, something Amber should have realized a long time ago, like.. she has no idea what the other second was trying to tell her. She thought about it a lot, why couldn't Kate explain it more clearly.. or is Amber simply too dumb to understand it?

Kate didn't seem to mean any harm – she gave her some more of those neat headphones, even helped Amber with the micros in her zone. It was strange how Kate asked to be let in alone – the reason she gave was that it wouldn't work if anybody else comes with her. Nicole was able to do marvels this way and Amber was surprised how easy it seemed to be, now that she knew how to trick micros... but her trained zone was different. They seemed to know more about the caretakers and it wasn't that easy to convince them to do what she wanted. Sure she could threaten them, but it would probably end up like the other zone... Why hasn't Kate explained what she did? She probably wanted to keep it a secret, she was becoming snub and selfish as the firsts.. with her dress and everything... but the seconds were never like that! At least Amber didn't think so...

She also immediately checked if Kate didn't kill any micros – out of revenge or anything, but it seemed she didn't. The population was the same when she came back.. give or take a couple hundred, Amber never cared about the last three digits of the counter.

Regardless of Kate's motives and methods, micros were more content and confirmed how they will do their best to repopulate – but unfortunately, it will take a long time. Amber didn't need to be told that.. she already knew she will need to wait decades for the new ones to grow up, however ridiculous that was. At least she still has some spoiled micros – but they will need to suffice for much longer than she originally planned to use them in. Even Nicole wanted to gather some more for their get-together – at least two hundred thousand each.. but it was good Amber didn't allow it – that would deplete the population even more and she knows now how long it would take the micros to replenish.

Amber was trying to figure out how to deal with this.. it seemed that every dozen thousands she has fun with will mean slower reproduction and having to wait even longer. Maybe this was what Kate wanted to tell her? Was Amber so stupid that she failed to notice this obvious fact? She thought about it when the new micros turned out to be more problematic than she hoped they would. Especially how the colonies were doing fine and although some food will speed up their further development, they didn't have any problems.

Kate also wanted to talk to the colonies in the morning, shortly after fixing the trained zone – and Amber couldn't hear their responses since they only had one headphone back there. Kate seemed worried about just that single missing micro.. it was crazy, like it probably died on its own before Amber got there in the first place. Should Amber be so concerned as well? She wondered whether they will start killing themselves if she isn't.

Fortunately after talking to the micros in her main zone, Kate assured her that they will be fine now. Maybe she could help with the sick zone as well? It seemed hopeless, but who knows.. the micros have stopped killing themselves and the only reasons for the population decrease were Nicole's “rescues”. It was also funny how the micros she brought into the new zone were asking about some “evacuation” - Amber had no idea what that meant, but quickly figured it must have been Nicole's story to steal them from someone.

But who? It couldn't be any of the firsts – they wouldn't let her in, not to mention that they didn't have such zones and all the transporters seemed to have the same design, which made it unlikely to come from multiple zones. The idea of stealing micros from any mother was scary – it would be terrible if they found out. The only person left was Kate, but.. Nicole wouldn't do that, Amber thought – and additionally the micros would probably be much smarter than those were.

Whatever is the case, the new ones won't grow or even survive on their own, it seems.. they need to be cared for – and although it was tedious and boring, Amber decided to at least try helping them – it's not like she had anything better to do. But they have very little food or tools, they were “expecting” to get them in their destination.. like where should Amber get them from? Sure, she tried to ask in the other zone, but the micros there already explained how they won't be able to fulfill needs of so many others. She wished she would pay more attention to how to use the micro assembler – and now she will need to talk with Kate and Nicole to help her with that. Maybe she could get some food and tools from them?

But it really was this part of the day to be really weird – Nicole request and appearance were completely unexpected. She would have asked differently if she wanted to have some fun, not to mention why a new zone... Of course Amber realized that after noticing the pile of transporters – and the population number. If at first she was worried they may be from her other zone, when she looked at the counter to see nine and a half million.. it was crazy!

Yes, she will definitely need to ask for more details, but Nicole already seemed very reluctant to give any – but she mentioned how “technically” it wasn't stealing.. what would that even mean! Regardless.. even if they are caught, then Nicole will probably have to take the fall – as the one actually coming up with all this and Amber can always say she didn't know anything. It would be true – since she still doesn't understand what the hell this whole thing was about.

But now, in late afternoon Amber is trying to watch the new micros – at first she was expecting they would start constructing things immediately. Sure, the micros in two colonies had weeks to set all that up, but there were only a hundred thousands each. Even if they only started clearing and building something, it felt like it should be easily noticeable – but they only sat around the transporters.. it's silly. What if they wait for be told what to do? Amber wouldn't know how to explain anything like that...

Or worse – if they aren't builder-micros, like the colonies seemed to be? If they need everything prepared for them – Amber thought about micros specializations for some time, but couldn't reach any conclusions. She didn't want to ask Kate about it – afraid of sounding stupid again – and micros themselves didn't know anything. Surely they wouldn't – they probably only had contact with their own kind. Perhaps she could bring some of the builder-micros here to help them? She doubts they would immediately spoil or anything like that...

She has so many unanswered questions and doesn't even know how ask about most of them. Like... the firsts and mothers would consider her crazy, behaving like Rachel. And she seemed to be offline all the time – Amber wanted to apologize for not paying attention in school and perhaps ask some questions get a couple things clarified... If only she knew how useful those boring lessons were. Even such stupid thing as using the micro assembler! Maybe Kate finished talking with Lauren already?

Amber writes her a message if she has a moment to talk, but then she thinks whether she can tall the other second what is it that she needs.. best to check with Nicole – so she writes another mesg quickly, inquiring whether she can talk about the micros with Kate. Fortunately Nicole answers first, so Amber will not have to stall.. the answer is brief: “whatever, just don't tell her its from me.” That's strange, Nicole seemed much more concerned, when they talked earlier, but well.. it's just micros, after all. Perhaps Amber is overthinking it?

Like Andrea explained her at some point, the micros should figure everything out on their own sooner or later, it's just that.. losing some would slow down the construction and although helping won't speed up reproduction much, it might be a nice thing for her to do – like, show the micros how good she is, so they won't suspect anything when she will want to use some of them later. Having to use Nicole's help every time she wanted to get some micros from her spoiled zone is annoying.

Suddenly she realizes the light on the headphone is blinking – she removed it and laid down in front some time ago, but it is helpful that the micros have a way of even letting her know they want to talk to them. She can always ignore the light, but now wants to seem nice for them, so picks it up and wears it very carefully – although it is more robust than the usual headphones.

“Yes?” - she asks.

“Amber..” - she told the micros her name already and they seem somewhat uncertain about using it directly, but couldn't – or wouldn't – explain the reasons for it - “are you certain there aren't any ways you could procure some nutrients or equipment? I don't wish to be invasive, but it seems staying here may not be the best use of your time...”

“What, you want me to be leave?” - what are they, afraid or something like that?

“No, no, it's just that.. ma'am..” - why do all micros insist on calling her some strange names - “maybe you could find be some sources of supplies to aid us, such as other caretakers?”

They are right and she can at least try – Amber concludes - “Sure, I'll ask around...” and leaves the headphone while standing up slowly. It would be bad to trash or lose another one, especially given that her micros don't seem to be able to manufacture them.

Amber decides to go back to the facility – and wonders if her prolonged presence inside is a bad thing. It didn't seem to be a problem in her trained zone, but the micros started killing themselves in the other when she started spending more time in it. After Nicole enlightened her, Amber thought it was mainly because she was playing with them so openly, but what if even her proximity can make untrained micros kill themselves?

Other seconds were staying in her zone all the time, so Amber didn't think it would be bad, but then she was wrong about so many things.. perhaps she should ask Kate to help her teach those micros what to do? Or perhaps just move some from her trained zone? She heard from them that Kate simply told them to be rebuild quickly and repopulate – but that was exactly what she kept repeating. Yet they were suddenly much more cooperative and understanding.

Now that she teleports back to her room, she is worried for a moment Kate may have told them what Amber intends to do, but.. they haven't started to kill themselves or anything, so it should be good. And why didn't Kate simply tell her exactly how she trained them? She assured Amber it were only some vague points about “how important reproducing is” and that “Amber will be good for them”. Still, it was strange.. before that she couldn't even get anything from the micros. Maybe they needed to hear the reassurances coming from somebody else than Amber?

It did work with the spoiled zone when Nicole did it – perhaps Kate could heal it? Well, it's not that important right now – Amber prefers to still use them, especially that she just received nine million new ones. But she needs to plan ahead – it's at least two decades before she can expect any gains from the trained zone, probably even longer in this new one.

After visit from Kate, the micros even explained her that it takes them almost three decades to reach full strength – it seemed to be even worse than what Andrea said. She thought she should be able to reap some of the older ones before the young fully mature... but what if it slows down the reproduction? So much to think about.

When Amber returned to check on the new micros, she wanted to have some fun – but then remembered that she cannot be impatient now.. she can enjoy herself when she has several nice and healthy zones – preferably more than those two, which means she will need to work on the colonies too. Fourteen hundred thousand left to be used in the next... several years at least. She will need to talk with Nicole to start using some of her micros as well – so far they had a lot of fun with the spoiled micros, but the zone seems to have stabilized and it shouldn't be an issue for some time.

Amber also thinks if she is addicted to all this... She heard this from Christina once – and it was so true, she was behaving like a bitch back then. Just like her mother... Amber promised herself several times, that she will not be like Lisa. She knew how pathetic such behavior was – especially after the destruction in her zone. In the two weeks since that happened, Nicole forwarded some rumors that Lisa was jealous about giving such populous zones on the graduation – and was told to be waiting for some fun with them. But it was ridiculous.. they were owned by her earlier, so why wouldn't she just...

No, it was good that Lisa didn't play with the micros before and even though Amber doesn't understand how things work, she can do better than that – be responsible now. Learn to wait for micros to repopulate and only play with them when she can be sure they will be able to replenish their losses. Yes, this was definitely what Kate meant – stop killing them before they can grow up. She needs to be smart about her micros now. All her life Amber was just a fun-hungry kid – unaware of how hard it actually is to come up with them. She quickly learned it would be no good to ask her mother for anything and merely relied on others to procure the playthings. Still, it must have seemed bitchy and annoying when she complained about such small amounts of them... But she sees it now.

Perhaps Amber should have fun with some firsts using her remaining micros? Show that she is nice and sharing – only she doesn't have much right now. Surely they would start treating her more seriously.. maybe even invite to more parties and everything. Amber sees now just how annoying it must have been for them to watch her behave like a greedy kid... And how good they were to share some fun with her even though she was unable to repay it. Well, now she have zones on her own and needs to show some generosity.

Just.. she has so little micros now... maybe if she used some from the new zone for that? Maybe just a million or so, over the next several months.. but it would be wasteful not to even wait for the first batch of their offspring. Nobody ever complained about Kimberly or Courtney not having many parties – at least after the first several months... Others were simply jealous of their smart training and “better priorities”. Amber only realizes it now and she needs to make sure her own micros can build up and stabilize, the million from the infected zone will have to suffice for now.

But how to “aid” the new zone?

No response from Kate – she probably has some fun with her micros, she's got so many of them... perhaps Nicole could find out if her micros have some spare “supplies”? At first Amber had no idea what they mean by “meats” or “grains”, later they explained it – but why not just say food? It was strange how they have different kinds of it, but then micros seemed to be weird in so many ways. Like why wouldn't they assemble it in the first place...

At least Nicole replies more quickly and wants to meet in her room, so Amber walks there directly. They greet each other inside and chat about nothing in particular for several minutes – but Amber can feel Nicole is more tense than usual.. becoming almost defensive when asked about the blowzy hair.

“It doesn't matter..” - Nicole finally replies - “Say, how's the new zone?”

“Oh, thanks, it's good. The micros are all nice and not suicidal at all” - Amber jokes - “Actually, this was the reason why I wanted to talk with you.”

“Yes?” - Nicole's expression becomes more concerned, probably expecting more questions about the source of those micros.

“But first, thanks again for them, it's really great and...”

“Yeah, what's the problem with them?” - that's unusually direct for her... did Nicole know the micros are somehow defective? After several seconds to think how to explain it, Amber continues:

“Well, they keep complaining that they have no food or tools. I wouldn't even mention that, but since the micros in my other zone are busy with reconstruction and everything, maybe yours have something to spare?”

“Oh, I see..” - Nicole seems relieved. What if this is a bad time to ask this?

“But if you're tired or anything..” - Amber remembers their earlier discussion - ”you don't need to worry about it now – it's just micros, I even feel silly asking about...”

“No, it's fine.. I'll see what I can do...” - Nicole interrupts her.

Amber waits half a minute to see if she adds anything, but realizes that maybe something is wrong and asks on her own: “Listen, Nicole.. has anything happened? Is there anything you want to talk about?” - Amber already feels better after confessing the truth about the fight with Kate, although she is still uncertain if it telling Nicole was the right thing to do. Regardless of those concerns, a friendly chat may cheer up the other second as well.

After a longer period of silence, Amber starts thinking if she should leave – obviously Nicole is disturbed... but she still begins to talk: “No, I'm good, there's nothing to worry. Just tired, that's all – I shouldn't have bothered you with my mood” - it's true – her eyes were already red from lack of sleep when they met earlier and she was anxious, but it can't be everything... Nicole still managed to be more energetic and optimistic earlier, when she brought the transporters - “You should go back there and tell the micros they will be fine.”

So that's it.. - Amber thinks - when she is troubled, she should go to her “friend” for comfort, but when Nicole is concerned... Is this another one of her games? It would be typical for her, but.. she really seemed genuine recently. Or perhaps Nicole has simply gotten better with hiding her true emotions? She did change the topic so suddenly when hearing about Kate's visiting Lauren... Regardless of the truth, Amber feels used and manipulated. Nicole should tell her what's wrong if she really is her friend!

Amber leaves quickly after thanking Nicole again, but doesn't move to that zone – it seems pointless. She already told the micros they will be fine and there's nothing to add. Perhaps she should ask the colonies from Kate how did they build everything so fast – maybe she could pass it to the new micros? Or maybe go ask the firsts for some help?

The problem with the last option is that they would surely consider her crazy and simply respond that she shouldn't worry about the micros. Not to mention how she could even tell them what the problem is? It seemed mothers quickly find out whatever she tells the firsts.. if Nicole really stole from them – they would likely want the micros back. The punishment would also be severe... It's strange how Nicole now isn't concerned about that at all – she asked several times to lay low about this earlier.

Should Amber share this fact with Kate? Maybe she is overthinking it and it will be fine if only she doesn't mention who did she got them from?

After maybe just five minutes in her room she notices a mesg from Nicole – she can arrange some food, but equipment will take some more time. “Good” - Amber thinks - “at least I won't have to talk about this with anybody else...”

With that, she feels much better about the future – with Nicole's help, she will have the micros trained in no time and they will be on track with construction and reproduction. Maybe she could use some males in the meantime? If she understands it correctly, not all of them are necessary... what if she figured out a good excuse to get them out? Yes, Amber will definitely need to figure this out – but she has plenty of time.. that million micros should suffice for long enough.





Chapter End Notes:
Is it too boring already? It should get better... maybe after Gary's death.

And as always – let me know what You think!