- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
This was originally supposed to be 20th chapter, hopefully I applied transformation matrices properly to reflect the reordering.






“Everything must be perfect to reconcile Amber and Kate” - thinks Nicole. She needs them both to be thankful for saving their friendship. It will make Nicole look good if she is able to unite the seconds under her lead. She will be able to work on the thirds more openly then – she already found out about Alisa, one of the Lauren's triplets, and offered her her company. Nicole asked around the firsts casually and heard that – for whatever reason – she feels rejected by the other thirds.

Just like Nicole hoped for when meeting Amber.. and Alisa already started hanging out with her and almost seems to trust her already. Apparently the stunt during Amber's graduation wasn't seen so desperate by everyone. If Nicole could be seen as informal leader of the seconds, it would facilitate her other affairs.

That's why she carefully probed how Amber feels about meeting Kate – they haven't seen each other in two weeks since their argument – at least she claims so. Nicole has no reason to doubt her, Kate was very quiet and isolated since she got her zone.. she must have a lot of fun there. But Amber has also matured a lot – they even laughed together about some silly things the firsts are doing with their micros.

But Amber is still Amber, impulsive and always lusting for more – any explosion like the one in their last conversation together would be bad. For everyone.

And doing nothing is not an option now, so Nicole carefully gathers three containers she was “rescuing” from Amber's zone and moves to a new empty one they set up specifically for this occasion. The old playground was worn out already, it was dirty and smelled of their excretions. “Another reason you should not play in your regular zones...” - thinks Nicole. It was Amber to suggest it would be nice to meet up with Kate in a clean one – perhaps she started thinking more clearly? “Only time will tell” - Nicole concludes.

Amber is already there, waiting in the middle of the zone. Nicole looks around for Kate, but she has not arrived yet. She will probably appear on the other side of the zone, so Nicole approaches Amber carrying the transporters carefully. There was some confusion around the timing, since Erica wanted to meet with her in the morning.

That one was strange. Nicole's mother first gave her the usual speech about how responsible she seems, that she matured noticeably and all the rest of it. She used it when she needed something from her daughter – but that hasn't happened for several years now. The last time was when Erica wanted her to spy on the firsts – which didn't work well, since they wouldn't talk to Nicole much.

But this request was.. strange. “Clear those zones, leave no survivors” - she remembers the exact words. Why would Erica waste some of her micros? It didn't make any sense... why not play with them herself? Perhaps they are contaminated – like Amber's zone – but why not just give them to someone? Or simply leave them be.. who cares about some micros.

Not to mention that Nicole never tried to clear all micros in a zone. If anything, she would rather try to leave as much as possible for later – but this request was very direct, so she started to work on it immediately. She even got access to use the micro counter and locator programs – and Nicole quickly found it would be impossible without them. It was still incredibly tedious. Two zones that she already fixed were pretty decent size, two and almost three million, respectively.

Lowering that to couple hundred thousands was no problem – Nicole just stomped all cities and towns she could see, in hurry to get to the party – but finishing the rest... They seemed to hide in the strangest of places – not to mention that killing the last several thousands by ten or less at a time was just... the biggest waste of time Nicole could imagine. “Is it some kind of a test?” - she thought the first time - “to check if I don't smuggle some micros out?”

It wouldn't be unusual for her mother to attempt something like that. She loved to humiliate Nicole, it seemed. Privately and publicly. But if Erica wants to spend six zones to test her, it must be pretty important. Nicole can't think of any other reason to waste micros like that.

Either way, it took a long time. Over three hours for the first zone – Nicole hoped that she would finish them all before afternoon... At least the second was quicker, even though the population was larger – Nicole already knew what to look out for, like groups of vehicles running away from the cities and all kinds of aircrafts. Still, the last few were a real pain in the ass.

But that's done now and she can enjoy her time with other seconds – Nicole can leave the remaining four zones for later. She even mesged Erica about it and she did not have any problems with delaying the rest of the work. Maybe even Nicole could have some fun? Since there is no rush, killing the micros off might be pleasant. If only they didn't scatter like that...

Getting back to the matter at hand, Nicole checks the containers – they seem to be fine, no runners or suicides so far. It takes micros some time to figure the rescue story is a hoax, but Kate should get here soon or else they will spoil. After approaching Amber, Nicole asks if she heard from the last second – but apparently not. “Lets give her a couple more minutes” - Nicole concludes.

Eventually, Kate arrives and Amber notices her first. It's annoying that you need to actively look around to see if anybody comes in, especially in empty zones – where newcomers seem to appear randomly. But when Nicole sees Kate, she is.. different.

“Sweet dress” - Amber comments as Kate starts to slowly walk towards them and Nicole concludes it is completely true. Anything other than the standard uniform is considered nice, but this dress looks very good on Kate. She also seems to have lost a couple pounds – but it fits her perfectly. Clearly it must have been made specifically for her.

How was she able to come up with something like that so quickly? Sure she had two more weeks, but with an untrained zone... Nicole immediately requested a two piece suit in her zones, to split the work and speed up the construction. Everything takes the micros forever to accomplish. The last time she was in Kate's zone, Nicole couldn't see anything resembling any kind of construction site – and she specifically looked for it to make sure she will be first to have one.

And Kate is walking so gracefully – like she is relishing every step, obviously bathing in the success. “She must have planned it!” - Nicole realizes - “She probably told the micros to hide it, so any visitors wouldn't notice – very clever.”

This is strange, since Kate never seemed to care about clothes or any things that impacted her image, in fact. She was always more of a solitary type. “Well, it must have changed when she got the zone” - Nicole concludes. She will need to look into possible ways of speeding up her dress even more – but that will need to wait, this get-together is more important right now.

“Hi Kate, so nice to see you” - she speaks when Kate nears the remaining seconds and Amber echoes. Kate must have heard it, since she raises her eyes from the ground and asks:

“Hi, is this.. zone empty?”

“Oh don't worry, we've got the goodies” - Nicole assures.

“Yeah, you can stop walking like any micros could die...” - Amber throws in.

“Amber, that is no way to talk to your friend. She is just showing her new dress, aren't you Kate?”

“Yes.. I still feel strange in it, it's the first time I'm...” - Kate speaks hesitantly.

“See? Didn't you want to say something else, Amber?” - they talked earlier how she should explain that she understands now and apologize again. This bitchy attitude is certainly not helping.

“Well, um... Kate, I know how bad I behaved in your zone. I should have never been killing your micros without permission” - that's much better – she even looks properly sad, thinks Nicole - “I understand how hard it is to keep them in line and it must have been very difficult for you to train them. It was very immature and inappropriate of me.”

Turning back to Kate, Nicole expects some sort of details or at least confirmation, but.. she just stands there - “Yes, Amber really understands – we both do now” - Nicole speaks - “Aren't you glad about that?”

It's hard to decipher Kate – it seems like she doesn't care about that at all, just standing there with neutral and somewhat tired expression. Eventually she responds with sort-of sad voice: “Yeah, thanks.. and yes, it was really hard.”

“I'm sorry I made it even harder” - adds Amber.

After a moment of silence, Nicole figures that maybe some fun will cheer Kate up – “See, we're all on the same page now. But that's not just why I wanted for us to meet up. We've all learned a lot recently, but why don't we have some fun together like we used to?” - she raises her hand with the transporters - “How about a fifty thousand micros each to lighten up?”

Kate looks at her hand and seems.. surprised? Hard to say, but there's definitely something going on there – she must have really had a lot of problems with her micros. No wonder she complained about Amber behavior so much – it's strange she got the dress so quick though. It must be simply because her zone is much bigger, coordinating micros efforts across multiple zones is tedious and Nicole didn't have time for that really...

Amber picks one container and encourages Kate joyfully - “Here, help yourself!” - Nicole takes a step forward and offers the gift.

“I don't know..” - speaks Kate - “I don't think I should...”

“Come on, we're all alone here – your micros won't see this!” - explains Amber.

Kate reluctantly picks one of the two containers but after analyzing it, explains: “No, I'm afraid I might ruin my dress now...”

“Oh please” - Nicole protests - “I'm sure there's plenty of ways you can play with them without doing that. You'll figure something out!” - but is already setting up to play with the last transporter herself. Perhaps something quick, like...

“What are you going to do with them?” - Kate interrupts.

“Jealous? You can join us you know...” - Amber replies.

“No.. I'm just curious what kind of fun you have in mind.”

Nicole wants to suggest her something. Perhaps Kate could put them on her exposed legs or into the ample cleavage – but Amber starts rambling on and on about what kind of things they have been doing with micros for the last couple of weeks.

And many of those ideas were Kate's – Amber was never interested in any more original fun and this left the other seconds alone to experiment. Especially after the firsts graduations – she would hardly even hang out with them. And they were both still having fun together, trying to figure out tricks to enjoy the micros more. It was actually thanks to Kate's advices that Nicole learned to take in the feeling more carefully. She was more like Amber back then – always wanting to have some fun and start looking for the next micros – but Kate has shown her that there are better ways.

Pushing them around a bit first, enjoying their helplessness, making them do things... and everything while giving them “hope” - now it seems obvious, but Nicole cannot believe that earlier she wanted to just squish them and move on. She never understood why some of those tricks worked – or even where did Kate learned them from, but Nicole never cared. At least until she wanted to explain them to Amber and they both started learning more about their playtimes.

In a way, it was Kate's ideas that led them – even though she was working on her zone... It must have been really hard to train them, if Kate had such problems. Well, Amber failed her training big time and Nicole is glad she never had to be forced to go through it in more detail. She is worried what may be happening in those two previously untrained zones though. Nicole didn't care about them earlier, but she will definitely need to check if everything is fine – the idea of micros killing themselves is surely scary. She will need them for later...

At least the trained micros in five other zones are behaving well. Three of them are working on the dress – that's another thing to check on and hurry up.

“Yeah, we got them really convinced” - Nicole coos, Amber seems to have asked about the micros believing them - “and you can enjoy yourself, Kate, there is still plenty left.”

“Yup! Still well over a million. The only problem is that only some defective ones are left” - Amber continues. It's true, they were still eager to be “rescued” but their efforts seemed weaker than earlier. “How did they call it? Children and elders? We may need to start getting more at a time to even feel them...”

“How can you do this?” - comes a muffled question from Kate.

“Oh that's easy. You know, they think I only want to kill them and Nicole seemed nice and helpful, so now she just goes there and promises to get them out” - Amber elaborates joyfully. She seems to be very proud of what they “figured out” there. Kate thankfully doesn't say anything about how most of this originated from her ideas – Amber seems to really adore Nicole thinking that she came up with all this on her own.

“Well, we need to keep reminding them how evil you are...” - Nicole points out.

“Yeah, but that's real easy – I just go there and say a couple things about stupid micros killing each other while stepping angrily on some villages. Don't worry – only the ones that are mostly abandoned already, there is no point in wasting micros” - and laughs, Nicole coos softly.

Those confessions seem to have affected micros performance quite a lot, she can hardly feel them on her teats. “Oh well, it's their decision to no longer be useful” - she thinks while wiping them. They still managed to arouse her a bit and the sight of Kate's exposed skin and underwear only help. Damn she looks nice – sitting down now and the dress still looks great on her. If only she wasn't so uptight...

In the meantime, Amber rambles about how they have been able to turn this dying zone into some fun and even offers Kate help, if her micros are misbehaving. That is a smart idea, actually – regardless of what they think of her, Amber probably seems worse.. especially after what she must have done a couple days after Lauren's party. Nicole still haven't found out what exactly happened then – not that she was trying to, just.. was it important? They were having a lot of fun - maybe she should have pursued it further?

“Later” - she concludes and asks aloud: “Hey Kate, when did you lose weight?”

“Oh, I.. just recently, I just wanted to...” - she answers clumsily. She must feel really awkward here.

“Don't worry, you look great like this. Not that you were ugly before, but now, especially with the dress...” - Nicole starts to compliment her, but Amber interrupts:

“Fucking fabulous, get over it.”

“Amber, you are just as noble and generous as always” - Nicole complains.. of course Amber didn't get it and continues:

“Hey, speaking of generous – Kate, would you mind if I play with your transporter. That is if you're not planning to use them?”

“I...” - Kate seems baffled, but before she continues, Amber raises, leans forward and carefully picks up the container laying in front of her friend.

“Amber! It's not nice to behave like this...” - Nicole starts.

“Chill out, I only wanted to check one thing – yup, they got away” - she explains.

Nicole quickly realizes what must have happened - “Oh Kate, don't leave micros unattended like that.. now we won't be able to use them!” - she remembers how tedious it was to kill one micro at a time - “Better clear them before they scatter...” - she stands up as well and looks closer and points the group of micros on the ground - “There, they still haven't hid.”

“Hey, what do you...” - Kate starts, but Amber already flattened them with her sneaker.

“What, were you planning to do something with them on the ground?” - Amber inquires, polite as usual – but Nicole figures it may turn interesting and just watches.

“No, I just... never mind.”

“Oh Kate, don't be shy – you can tell us what kinds of games you had in mind” - Nicole suggests intrigued, but she speaks nothing. After a moment of silence, Amber points out after checking her counter:

“What do we do now that we're out of micros?”

“Well, I can go get more...” - Nicole suggests, they never seem to mind being rescued several times a day.

Kate interrupts her: “No, don't.. can't we just sit here and talk? Like the old times...”

Nicole likes this idea of bonding – they haven't spent much time together since their graduations – and she convinces Amber to sit down and talk. Even Kate seems somewhat more open now, sharing some details about her zone – nothing in particular, but it seems fine now and she is content with her micros. That Nicole can understand – if they can manufacture such dress so quickly...

But Amber continues the bragging about how they were able to use the micros from her zone and that Kate should have more fun herself – when Kate explains she is tired, Nicole is not surprised. Still, she accomplished what she wanted – the other seconds seem reconciled now and while there's still some tension between them, there shouldn't be any problems. And some stress is good – Nicole wants them to depend on her, forgiving everything would make her role as a negotiator simply unnecessary.

When Kate departs thanking them both for everything, Nicole figures she should go as well – the sooner she finishes the zones, the better. Perhaps she could have some fun as well? Especially how she is horny after the playtime – getting off in front of her friends wouldn't be nice.








“Why is this happening” - he speaks to nobody in particular. Until recently Sean Kinsey was seaweed farm operator, but now - “what.. is happening?”

The sight is unbelievable, they were used to a ten mile tall figure moving around – but it was always a different person... Rachel Johnson actually saved them – brought them tools, medicine, even other people to help them. They lost all of that after the Collapse – previously renown vacation zone, importing everything from food to high-tech products from outside. Hardly any infrastructure – and millions of people stuck.

Fortunately he was born much later, when the situation stabilized – never had to endure the horrors told by elders in stories. People killing each other for scraps of food and technology... it was hard to believe. They also twaddled how people used to live before the Collapse, with flying cars and everything – even their lives could last forever back then – another one of miraculous things that were lost. It was incredible that anybody survived and started to rebuild after losing so much.

Of course now it's again a reality – but when Sean was twelve, Rachel appeared and gave them everything, from medbeds to computers to seemingly endless energy sources. Old people were still having trouble getting used to it – everybody that knew such things was already long dead, but the younger quickly caught up. She even told them that although she is unable to fix everything, she is working on it. It gave them hope, somebody was trying to bring the normality... although only the newcomers know what that meant – the tales from the past elaborated about huge cities, hundreds billions of people living in peace and harmony. It is simply unimaginable.

They never asked her about the details, surely Rachel has much more important things to do – even though she checks if everything is okay every couple of months. They need to work on their own survival. That's why now, fourteen years after her first appearance, Sean was visiting the automated facilities that were built far in the sea – to provide the people and livestock with basic nutrients. Over three fourths of the zone surface is sea and the rest consists of beaches and mountains – it used to be a popular vacation spot, cultivating much food on land is... difficult at least.

They figured it out though – with the immigrants help, of course. Some of them actually lived and know how the world was like before the Collapse – or, how Rachel calls it, the shutdown. The other zones weren't hit that hard and they retained their technology – some people even remember the old times.

Or remembered, because now...

When she arrived, Sean was working on a damaged filter deep underwater. He arrived on the small platform alone via chopper, but it already looked like a larger team was necessary – with replacement for the seemingly unrepairable piece of junk. Hearing the news that “a caretaker” arrived he surfaced quickly – he loved to watch Rachel since he was a kid, it was truly a sight to behold... even though she hardly moved, careful not to hurt anybody.

But he lost his communication with the headquarters quickly - “damn things always break around here”, he thought. It was strange that Rachel would visit them so quickly – she was just here like.. two weeks ago? Maybe she discovered something and wanted to tell them?

Of course now he understands what happened... or at least why there comm went deaf. When Sean surfaced, he noticed why they mentioned “a caretaker” instead of “Rachel” - it wasn't her. And the one here was not at all careful. If anything, she seemed to be overjoyed with the things around her, smiling and playing... With. The. City.

Ten years it took them to build up the capital – the biggest city on the largest island. Hell, it was the only major settlement, really – hence they always called it just “the City”. More than four fifths of the population lived there – but it seems that ratio is much smaller now.

When he realized what is really happening – it took some time to comprehend the view – it seems she is trying to pick some... skyscrapers? With her toes?!? And without a single word. Of course Sean wouldn't be able to hear her – the City, or what has left of it, is good two hundred kilometers away, but he can clearly see she is not speaking at all.

“What the fuck!”

From the top of the floating signaling tower, he could just barely see what is happening under the foot – the zone is completely flat so there is no obstructions, but it's simply far away. It seems that.. buildings are crumbling in slow motion as she... bulldozes and crushes them. Her sneaker lays discarded thoughtlessly on its side – from this far away it's hard to be sure, but it seems it may have been dropped on the suburbs...

Eventually she gives up on the attempt and rotates to sit her knees. She was further back carefully “playing” with her foot – the terrifying reality of the situation hits Sean in this very moment. It seemed like some sort of a dream.. or rather a nightmare – nothing like this should happen in the real world. Sure his parents were afraid of Rachel when she first came, but he was too young to fully comprehend it – and she proved time and again to be the complete opposite of this... whatever kind of monster the one here is.

To him, Rachel seemed like a kind Goddess that approached to save them. It wasn't that far from the truth – they were already running out of fish to eat and it seemed the famine would become even worse. Not to mention the ravaging diseases, he almost lost his little sister to tuberculosis – which was said to be easily treatable before the Collapse... but back then they couldn't do anything with only simple antibiotics. Every blood filled caugh he watched in the local clinic hurt him seemingly just as much as her. With the miraculous medicine Rachel brought, young Lucy not only recovered but grew up strong and healthy. Who wouldn't associate the heavenly help with something divine?

This “caretaker” is completely unlike her - Rachel never actually used that word, others remembered what was her function in the world. No, this must be be a different kind of a Goddess. Even though from the distance she seems like a regular human being, casually moving around. Of course those innocent moves probably translate to thousands dying – she was carelessly sitting in a densely populated area. Leaning forward, she slowly plucks a building.. a large skyscraper... from the ground. There were probably still people in it – it is mere minutes after her arrival, even if they started evacuating immediately, they wouldn't be able to...

But where could they even run? Maybe if they managed to fly or sail away quickly, but... it just seems that nowhere is safe from this “young woman” - these words seem completely inadequate to describe what is happening. But she does look immature, maybe she has no idea what she is actually doing? Young and playful... her image contrasts with the dramatic sight in front of him. Holding the building in her hand like some kind of flower or a toy, it seems like.. is she contemplating what to do with it?

When she starts moving again, Sean cannot believe it – she just unfastens several top buttons of her shirt and.. drops the thing down her cleavage. It falls slowly – he doesn't see the impact, but anybody who was still in it must have died...

She just looks down at it and smiles. How can anybody enjoy such thing! Definitely a toy, but.. “Why...”

She continues to pick up various buildings – the downtown was densely populated, with plenty of large buildings. At first they were building smaller homes and industrial facilities, but once the island was almost completely covered, they had to start building up. Of course even the largest structures were still much smaller than any of her fingers.

And obviously weaker too – some of them simply broke into dust... no, obviously tons of rubble must have rained down in there. The scale difference is just insane – at times, it seems like a girl playing on a beach.

But there were people in the City, almost a million of them! If Sean wasn't out on the assignment, he would also be there... Well, now he would probably be dead. If he can see correctly, the facility where he was stationed was located in the area she is.. sitting. That was probably the reason they went silent...

While Sean tries other frequencies without any success – the City's powergrid must be out – the “caretaker”.. although she doesn't seem to deserve this label, he realizes... She just.. plays with all the lives in front of her. Plucking and destroying buildings in various ways – simply crushing in her hands, colliding with her breasts or stomach, “playfully” dropping on other structures... She even turns her torso and drags one of the last towers on her bare foot... enjoying the sensation?!?

At this point Sean is absolutely certain he is hallucinating. Maybe the sudden decompression, or some problem in his oxygen equipment – or he is still asleep and just imagining it all. There is no way this is really happening – it couldn't be. But after watching the show for one more minute, he can hear... Thunderous movements that finally reached him. He also notices the swaying of the sea – it was still fairly calm, but there were some movements that he didn't correlate with the sight in front of him earlier.

Suddenly it seems very real. No longer it's just a light show on the horizon, but rather footsteps followed with.. the sound of dragging something? Sean notices that the entire city is encircled with a large trench.. the edges are clearly noticeable, easily twenty meters tall compared with the buildings – that's why he couldn't see the details of the City further out. “But this can only mean...” - unable to finish his thought. She wants them trapped!

Any chance she didn't know there were people in here just vanished. She must be aware of all the death... it's a goddamn city! They weren't building it just for fun to continue living on some ships... Or were they?

The thought strikes him – if they were just toys to the monsters.. but Rachel would never... Has she cared about their well-being at all? Or maybe she just wanted to prepare a rich playground for... whoever the fuck this is! Her daughter perhaps? No.. she looks nothing like Rachel, but... It simply doesn't make any sense.

But it gets worse, as seemingly after running out of bigger buildings, she leans forward and... licks? The ground? She first seemed to look around for a good spot – was she trying to find larger groups of people? In her scale it seems nothing else would be even noticeable, but what... Why!

She seems to be tasting it carefully – but quickly displays a rather disgusted expression and spits the goo out. It is falling incredibly fast – just like her movements, but Sean can see that there is something in it... something more than just saliva. It hits the sea before he can make out any details, creating a huge wave. Well, compared to her it looks just like a small splash – although the water moves unrealistically slow.

And then she just... drags her hands across the city, then stands up and finishes it with several stomps after removing her other shoe. It seems like she is.. purposely... exterminating them? If it looked like a “playful game” earlier, not it's simply monstrous. “Who could possibly do this!”

Well, obviously she can – and is... Once satisfied with the result several minutes later, she looks around and starts walking towards another island. There are no larger cities anywhere else – no skyscrapers whatsoever, but... What if she is really trying to kill them all and the playtime was just some kind of sick game? It seems to be the only explanation. She destroyed the City quickly after “enjoying” the bigger structures and now is heading to finish off the rest of the zone.

At first Sean just watches, hoping that she will only destroy the islands and leave anything on sea alone, but then notices a deadly threat. The walls of water are quickly approaching him. The open sea between his platform and the City.. or what remained of it... allows the waves to travel easily in the shallow water. Her spit or the footfalls – too late to distinguish, but the seafarm is not built to withstand this, no – he needs to get away.

But where?

She already covered several islands – every time she covers the entire area with her feet, casually crushing everything flat. The worst part is her expression – it seems like she finds it boring and tedious. And still not a word! The best they got was a slight giggle when she “scratched” her foot with a skyscraper...

No, Sean needs to get out from here to one of the islands she already visited. She was destroying the other part of the zone, which leaves... remains of the City are close enough, even with his hydrogen powered heli – there weren't enough dilation-field powered vehicles around. Their construction was very complicated and only specialized workers got them.

Of course now it simply doesn't matter, she destroyed everything... maybe Rachel will come and save any survivors? What else can he do now – wait for the waves to reach him? Commit suicide even before that? At least he would no longer have to see what she is doing... but that would be weak. No, he needs to at least try to survive.

Fortunately the chopper was already refueled – the farm is equipped with field energy generator and hydrogen extractor and he did not forget to plug in the pipe this time... He is airborne quickly – long before any major waves reach the station – and flies towards the City... only now being able to see the crushed, partially flooded remains. It looks like there are some mountains that weren't completely decimated by her movements – the island was about twenty kilometers long and she haven't destroyed everything thoroughly. Sean hopes he can see it correctly – it's already late afternoon and the light is not ideal for long range observations.

But he cannot do anything else – even dropping into the water would be a suicide with all the waves traversing the seas. Even if that monster stopped crushing them, the islands would be flooded with most of the people dying. In order for the waves not to be so deadly, he would have to get to a deeper sea, if he recalls the water physics correctly from the training – but the only such places are on the completely opposite side of the zone. Right next to the edge – and the field could produce strange effects on the water as well. No, the mountains seem to be his safest bet.

Maybe he will be able to find some survivors? It seems.. unlikely given the completely devastated area that he can see as he approaches the island. At the same time she continues her deadly trek across the zone... The turbulences her movements have caused are tough, but with the help of the onboard instruments, he manages to continue his flight.

After almost an hour in air, Sean can hear thunderous words, she finally seems to have spoken:

“Just die quickly, so I can move to the next zone!” - this... This was probably the worst part.. at least so far. This monster is not only killing them, but also planning to do the same to other people! How could anybody even...

“Stupid micros, why couldn't you all just commit suicide, come on.. still five thousands left” - he can hear a couple minutes later. It angers Sean greatly, but... if she wants them all dead, then maybe he can buy some time if he survives. It's a stretch – but at least his life has some meaning now. It seems that any attempt of slowing her down gives “the next zone” some time... even if he is able to delay it by only a couple minutes.

More outrageous sentences follow, how “she doesn't want to waste any more time here”, “this is ridiculous“ or “how stubborn you are” - Sean concludes: “Well, suck it up bitch, I'm not helping you!”

Eventually he reaches the island – it's already night and finding a good place for landing is problematic. He is also running out of fuel – even though the operational distance of the heli was around five hundred kilometers, the turbulences required a lot of effort to overcome. He also took a detour to avoid her approach – as she seemed to have swept almost half of the zone already.

All in all, three hours into the genocide, Sean is standing on a tall hill, watching the monstrous spectacle around him and listens to annoyed voice counting down the population... “Those are human lives you bitch!” - he screams at some point, it just seems so... inhuman. All of it, from her arrival to this very moment.

He can barely see her silhouette moving around on the background of night sky. The smoke and dust from remains of the City has already cleared and it again seems unreal. The only way he is able to distinguish this from some nightmare are the constant quakes and voice combined with the fact that where he should see a brilliant network of always awake metropolis, there is just... darkness.

Almost two hours later he hears “her pests” are down to two digits and Sean has already lost hope for any kind of salvation. At least they surely slowed her down – he thinks that others must have got a similar idea. “We, the stubborn micros” - that's some title. They will all die, just like other zones she mentioned... but at least will cause her some inconvenience. “Hell, it seems we already did” - the sad realization still manages to give him some joy.

Then she seems to fall – it's hard to see in the dim starlight, but there is definitely some quick movement downwards followed by.. something like a silhouette of a person trying to stand up from a pool. “Now how's that for your inconvenience?” - every little bit helps to feel better. She seems less of a Goddess now, but rather a “stubborn macro” - if one would use her vocabulary. The idea of her falling into a muddy pond was somehow hilarious – even if it was the sea in the zone. At this scale, she probably hit the ground pretty well. “Good luck cleaning those stains, bitch!”

But his spirit fades a couple dozen minutes later when he can hear that “What? Only one left?” - followed by some childish curses.

“Yup, it's up to you Sean” - he concludes and braces for the worst. After the dusk it seemed like she has some sort of device for locating the people – but will she be able to find him in the dark? The sound of waves hitting the mountain slopes dangerously close, suggested she may not even have to...

But the game continues – although he can do nothing, even trying to run away wouldn't help at all. How far could he travel – a couple centimeters in her scale? At least this way he can enjoy his last moments. Relatively speaking. And she hasn't given up – what kind of monster wants to murder every single human in an entire zone! Then it dawns at him – she must want to kill all witnesses. Was this why Rachel kept checking up on them? Maybe this is just some insane caretaker. If only he could survive to warn the others! To tell them what she has done – Sean feels he could identify her clearly, after watching the atrocities she committed. Sadly, there is nothing more that he can do to evade her...

It seems like they are locked in some sort of freak hide and seek game. Although she never met Sean and he definitely wouldn't want to ever see her in the first place – she tries to talk to him, even convince him that she will let him live... Of course she is, now he understands what this all is about, he concludes - “no mind games with me, bitch”.

Maybe twenty minutes later he can feel a sudden series of powerful earthquakes – she must have came back to the main island. She can move much faster than the shakes travel through the earth, but she must have walked here more or less directly. This means it will be over soon – but Sean is ready. The quakes threw him off his feet and reminded that he is actually pretty high above ground – even though it is maybe ankle level to this monster. Parachuting from a cliff could buy him some more time – and maybe if he lands in the sea, he might be carried out by the waves and delay the inevitable.

Taking the equipment from the chopper, he jumps and opens it quickly – trying to break the fall. Even in air, he is deafened by her stomps and can even feel tremors moving the air around him - “Heh, she must be really angry.”

Then the noise stops and she begins to scan the ground with some sort of a weak flashlight on her arm. “Shit, I need to find somewhere to hide” - he concludes and starts lowering more quickly. Sean lands in water, but it's completely still – apart from slight occasional quakes caused by her movements. Quickly hiding the chute, he can just wait in the chilly spring water. Not too cold, but he will not be able to keep afloat forever. Still – he can delay it for some more time.

Whenever the light approaches him, he dives – trying to wait it out. The light passes him quickly first couple times, but then pauses for longer – Sean realizes that she must be able to locate him more precisely... it's only a matter of minutes now and he can just as well get onto the land.

He could see the direction of the nearest slope clearly in the dim light – so he begins swimming. It seems even without trying to hide she has problems noticing him - “Stupid blind bitch” seems almost fitting the “stubborn micro” she continues to call him.

After a couple minutes, Sean comes ashore and even though it is fairly steep – manages to climb up a dozen meters. Looking up at her, he is almost sure that her eyes are focused directly on him, but she doesn't kill him somehow. He didn't believe her promise of letting him live, but... No, he notices her pupils are still moving around, obviously scanning the ground for him.

“Oh there you are” - she thunders joyfully after another minute, like meeting an old acquaintance. The hand coming down to crush Sean is not so friendly...








“This was simply ridiculous” - thinks Nicole. Not only it took her almost six hours to clear the zone, but she also is all wet and muddy. The stupid water everywhere made it so much harder to finish the micros. She was pleasantly surprised there was only one big city – which made the clearing look like a simple task, so she began playing with it.

It was fun, but what came later... two hundred thousand micros were still alive – outside from the start or somehow managed to get away. It was already late and the sun was setting, so finding them proved to be problematic. At first she waded a little walking around the zone and it fixed most of them over time – but the remaining several thousands were very resistant. She even started explaining that they won't survive, so they can just as well kill themselves – some took her advice, it seemed. “Why couldn't you all just commit suicide” – she complained, they seemed so eager to do that in the Amber's zone.

When it was already dark, using her wristcom to locate the micros became really tedious. She even stumbled on some rock and fell head first into the water... it felt disgusting. Fortunately she saw a tiny light on some island nearby and squashing it noticed the counter dropping down from fourteen.

It stopped at one. One! A single fucking micro! Yes – Nicole spent an entire hour looking for one ridiculous pest in the darkness. She even contemplated giving up and returning on the next day, but.. she was already furious. It felt like the most annoying thing that ever happened to her. So she continued looking.

She finally scanned every corner of the zone and there was nothing. The stupid locator only shows the micros when you are nearby – maybe a couple feet from them and the zone was fairly large... It also is very inaccurate – the program is very rough and often puts the dots in wrong places. Trying to offer it some hope didn't help – which was strange, it seemed to work on the other micros. She was thinking how she should have started with this approach – perhaps ask the micros to group up in the cities and then deal with them all at once?

At least when she found it on the very first spot she started with, she was certain it was nearby. Stomping the area didn't work – the little fucker must have figured something out – not to mention that the entire island was clear when she left it... She began scanning the ground with the dim light that wristcom was giving and finally she found and squashed the stubborn dot in one of her footprints.

Nicole felt good for a moment – even despite that she was dirty and tired – she caught the little fucker.

Of course now that she is back in her room, she realizes that she should have returned or even deferred the whole thing until the next day in the first place... The fun at the start was nice, but now the cleanup will be terrible, her uniform is completely ruined – she can assemble a new one tomorrow, but the mud has already stuck to her skin. It's going to take her days to fix herself completely. The micro matter is easy to dump at the beginning – a simple wipe removes it, but once it de-dilates... not only it's already in every tiniest pore and wrinkle of the skin, but it also somehow manages to glue to literally everything.

“Simply fantastic.. all this trouble for some stubborn micro shit...” - she exclaims.





Chapter End Notes:
Yes, I am still alive and working on the story – it's just that I have hit a wall of “how to connect various plots emotionally together in a reliable way”, perhaps I should have written a mountaineering sketch... The high level plan seemed nice, but problems surfaced in the details – and how can I possibly expect You to believe the characters if I myself had any doubts. I already was uncertain about Lisa's sudden and barely explained arrival a couple chapters back – a sad result of plot cuts and changes, apparently – the possible reasons for such invasion were merely hinted. Still, I hope that I'm getting there with a proper plan and there may be some more updates coming soon.

I also must admit I like the idea of including the POV with the girls stories – most actions seem hollow and simple from their perspectives, while the other side... well, You know. By the way – was the POV any good? It seemed nobody has played with a live city yet – apart from ch1, but there weren't any details given back then – or was it already boring and repetitive?

Anyway, due to popular demand, I decided to let Gary live for several more chapters, maybe even till the middle of the story – but seriously, don't You feel like he is already worn-out?

And of course – let me know what You think!