- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Absolutely no details on her evil plot to rule the world! Oh what a giveaway...






The wristcom wakes Erica in the middle of the night.. “Whoever wants anything at 3AM – it better be important, or else...” - she thinks. But when she looks more carefully at the device laying next to her bed, she notices it's worse – it's not a contact from somebody, but rather a system notification. One of her hooks has triggered – and she set all them for important reasons. At least at the time – but even then, the last time she got an obsolete alert was... years ago.

No, she needs to investigate it right away – so she quickly wears her uniform and leaves for her private terminal. Erica probably looks like shit – but time is of the essence.

Reaching the storage room personally restricted to herself, she passes the double doors – but only after checking if anybody was following her – and sits down launching the damn thing. She hates computers. And this stupid thing only has a simple terminal plus keyboard or virtual interface – the latter of which Erica never likes to use. Sure, call her crazy – but most people who trusted technology too much ended on the bottom of their shoes or worse... would you look at that? No, her dislike actually saved her from going in long time ago.

But now she has to use it to figure out... no, she needs to start with who. It couldn't have been a kid – not with this type of alert - so she opens the personnel catalog and checks... Only Lauren and Rachel are still online and the latter is currently using the other terminal...

“Rachel! Shit.. what has she done now?” - Erica thinks while checking the authorization log for her. She hates browsing any logs – they are all like bunch of random symbols to her, but fortunately if a caretaker is doing anything, then it should also pop up in the fairly simple authlog. She browses the today's entries for Rachel - “Yes.. several terraforming operations, checking privileges, PMA access?” - the others rarely used the personnel management application, always looking for more “interesting things”, like what caused the shutdown or how to unlock more assembler functions... none of which can be found in the PMA.

But Erica knows that information about themselves – who seem to be the most powerful humans around – is the most important. Thats why she had a lot of hooks around it and one of them triggered just now... Yes, Rachel accessed... Shit.

“Personal file lookup authorized by emergency id” - she reads. And it wasn't her own file – it was impossible to check, but Rachel would not need the id for that... Besides what would be there to see about herself? Old accomplishments and statuses don't matter anymore.

She must have found one of the still active caretakers!

Erica figured several out decades after the shutdown that they seem to be the only people in the facility – the PMA displayed that pretty clearly – and she shared that with others. What she never shown them, was that some caretakers were still active – which suggested they must have been moved outside the facility or inside on of the zones without deactivation. Normally it was the standard procedure to remove any privileges of employee being immigrated, but... almost nothing after the shutdown worked normally.

At first, Erica assumed it may be some glitch – but some of them were deactivated over time, which hinted the people associated with them dying somewhere – and when they entered the zones, it really sped up. Which suggested that over time, they will all become paste under their soles. Several years ago when Erica last checked, only seven were left out of more than three hundred active caretakers originally, so she never worried about it.

But Rachel... Of course the last time Erica did check was when Rachel was “searching the zones” for something. All it took was questioning the micros what she wanted and Erica found that she asked them some engineering bamboozle. They found many ex-caretakers earlier, but they haven't got a clue about what was going on – but if Rachel found an active caretaker...

She always had to try to spoil Erica's plans. At least after they threatened Rachel not to tell kids the truth. Sure it was reasonable – they should know everything, but.. others agreed with Erica that it would not change the situation they are in and the risk of their own children hating them. Well, they all know what they have done – but they don't have to have their daughters see what they all are.

For Erica, it was mainly a cover story for her other plans, but they seemed to have bought it. Except Rachel – but she bullied her not to tell anything. Even in that ridiculous “school” she organized for the seconds.

And the kids turned out to be perfectly suitable for what Erica wanted. Sure she specifically raised the firsts to be ignorant and docile, but seconds and thirds did that even without much attention – she merely made sure they don't know anything about the world rather than had to actively encourage them to keep killing the people, like she did with the firsts. Yes, everything was happening just like Erica wanted.

But Rachel had to remind them every time they need to stop killing the “micros” - as Erica convinced everybody the people should be called – and even managed to stop the caretaker training. Well, Erica did not really have any arguments to support that, but she also wasn't in a hurry.

Until now. “Shit. It's too early.. I can't get rid of her yet...” - Erica thinks - “What if..” - she considers the possibilities. What can happen if she leaves Rachel alone, but she quickly finds the risks to be unacceptable. If she found some way to undo the shutdown, Erica is unsure if she wants this anymore... they felt like gods like this. Not to mention how they all would have to be severely punished for what they have done. And even if that fails, Rachel may manage to use that emergency id to turn 3/5ths into 4/6ths.. no, convincing two other mothers for what Erica wanted was difficult enough. She cannot let Rachel act any further on this, but if she disappears right now...

“Perhaps it isn't too early?” - she ponders... The firsts are all grown up nowadays and Rachel often vanishes for weeks or even months at a time and nobody cares about her really. She was sufficiently mocked and ridiculed by Erica.. others also helped a little. Even if she was to disappear for longer, they should at first assume it is due to the seconds graduations... she already did show off her despise of them for doing those parties. It wouldn't surprise anybody if she needed to get away from all this – again.

Yeah, it could work, actually – and without Rachel's opposition, it would be only a matter of time to restart everything. Erica could be ready in.. a couple months? Maybe a bit longer, depending on the others. Still easily before anybody would start worrying about Rachel.

But – it needs to be clean. Even if she dies, there must be no trace back to Erica. Nobody knows what would happen if one of the mothers died – but Erica would certainly lose their approval if they found out what she did. And it would be just a matter of looking into logs... Well, time will cover her actions – but she needs at least several months for the entries to become obscured enough.

Erica could even get rid of that caretaker guy – she only needs to find somebody to waltz through the zones Rachel visites recently, making sure that everybody is dead... she could not change who it was without having the emergency id and he might be already dead, but left this big secret to somebody else – who in turn may have told Rachel. It doesn't matter, since nobody else will be looking for it, but.. maybe she should get somebody to clean that as well? Any mother – even Lisa – would be suspicious.. She cannot use firsts for that, obviously – thirds are too young – Amber? Erica is unsure about that bitchy kid, she likes to gossip about everything. Kate is too smart... Nicole might be just fit to do it – but Erica needs to think about it. The bigger problem right now is where to send Rachel.

She thinks about her options. It cannot be any of mothers zones – it would be too personal. Even if Erica managed to blame Rachel's death on some other mother, the victim would not stop before finding what really happened and it would lead them right to Erica... it has to be one of the kids. But preferably somebody careful enough not to kill her too quickly – the more time passes, the better – and definitely a big zone, so Rachel will not be able to make herself known. Maybe some place she has never visited – to assure she will not get help from locals? Erica still hears how the people sometimes still ask about Rachel – she was so nice to them while she was searching their zones...

“Think Erica, think!” - she mumbles while contemplating the problem, but after a minute or so remembers a perfect candidate for this. But even then she will need to lay low for a couple months, no distractions or other plots.

Of course she has all steps planned for this eventuality, so she quickly locks all communications from Rachel's wristcom and launches the immigration program...





Chapter End Notes:
Obviously she wants to invite some more Canadians to the zones – they're so nice and everything. What else would she do? You think? No.. she could never do that... come on!

Also - I doubt I will be able to publish any new content before Friday or so, so You can read just a single chapter a day or something like that. Hmm, perhaps it would have worked better if I wrote about this earlier... Never mind then!

But as always – let me know what You think!