- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

A development: Susanna meets a new character...

 

The silence of the glade was broken with a whooshing sound, one that Susanna was not immediately able to identify. It was coming from the trees, though thankfully whatever it was was not large. At first, Susanna believed it was an insect or a small bird, but it lacked the whirring sound of fluttering wings. She could hear the source of the sound circling the perimeter of clearing, surrounding her in. Eventually, her eyes caught sight of its movement, though it was moving much too fast for her to focus on it. Again, she thought it perhaps a hummingbird or a moth, but this was certainly unlike any that she had ever encountered.

Whatever the enigma was, it was slowing down to the point where Susanna was able identify some of its features. It was about two inches in length, roughly guessing. It was slender, too, with a tanned complexion. Susanna's eyes beheld it in astounding wonder, because as the speed of its movement reduced, it became more clear to her that this was not bug or bird. In fact, in shape shape it was...humanoid! Susanna gasped. It was not a gasp of terror or a gasp of surprise, but a sharp inhalation of air that served as a placeholder for any other reaction she would have, for she knew not what to do. Should she be afraid?

Upon hearing this, the mysterious being very quickly slowed to a standstill. It hovered in midair about twenty feet away from her, near the edge of the wood. Its stillness made it more evident that it did not possessed any wings. Susanna was confused as to how it was staying aloft. Very cautiously, it was nearing her, pausing every few moments before continuing its advance. She could not take her eyes off of it.

As it drew nearer, Susanna was able to discern more of its features. It had two arms and two legs, just like a human. She could also make out that it was wearing clothing of some sort. It was dressed in a miniature shirt and pants of plain colors; very modest, and yet, its clothes gently shimmered in the light. It was most surprising when Susanna realized that it was a man! That is, it had a masculine appearance, though whether she could call him a "man" was uncertain to her at this time. She didn't know what it was, but it looked very much like a man...a very small man.

He continued to make his way closer ever carefully. She did not know how he was in levitation, but he was about five and a half feet in the air--Susanna's eye level. She watched him in peculiar wonder. She was astounded when she noticed that he was, in fact, walking towards her. He was making steps in the air, as if walking on ground! She could not believe the sight of her eyes and her heart beat swifter as her amazement escalated.

Very slowly, Susanna raised her right hand towards him, her eyes seldomly blinking. At first, he took a few steps back, until he realized that she was extending her hand as a gesture of goodwill. Go on, she mouthed with her lips, silently nodding with approval. He walked through the air and into her palm, his tiny feet with their even more miniscule leather boots taking ground upon her soft flesh. He was no longer than the two-thirds the length of her index finger. She held her hand out as straight as she could, lest she alarm the man into thinking she would close it upon him. The skin of her palm was taut like a drum. He remained there for a moment, staring up at her before looking down at her hand. He traced the life lines with his left foot. It tickled her, but she withheld the giggle this time. Kneeling down, he placed his small hand on the middle of her own, as if to compare the two. Her hand started to tremble at being extended for so long. Fortunately, he soon left her hand and made his way through the air. Before long, he was "standing" right in front of her eyes, as if upon an unseen platform.

Now able to view him clearly, Susanna could see that he indeed looked just like a man. A young man, actually, with a shock of brown hair on the top of his head. It was not combed, but was a disheveled mess of soft curls. He looked no older than herself. Susanna also keenly observed that his appearance was also quite handsome to behold. He had a boyish face, and yet he had a very strong jawline which accentuated his broad shoulders. His skin was tanned, a light golden brown that was seemingly free of any imperfections.

His visage, too, was in wonder and astonishment as he looked Susanna up and down. Susanna's already still breathing was paused as she gulped. She thought to speak, but what would she say? Furthermore, would he understand her? But before she could utter a word, the silence was broken not by Susanna, but by the mysterious man just inches from the tip of her nose.

"Are...are you Susanna?" the wide-eyed two-inch man spoke, almost in a whisper but very audible to Susanna's ears.

Taking in the words to his question, Susanna's mind started to comprehend that this very small creature had just spoken her name. Her heart started racing as fast as her mind, which was struggling in wonder if this were reality or a dream state. Thinking again about all that she had experienced--of the fragrance and of the forest clearing and of her laughter and of the very man standing in the air before her--Susanna forgot that she had been asked her a question. "Are you Susanna?" he had asked her.

The answer to his question was very clear and simple. She started to nod and her lips formed in anticipation of speaking. Her lungs had enough air in them to speak, and yet she found herself having difficulty getting out a sound.

Her lips quivered. Her knees trembled. Her eyes lost their focus.

Susanna fainted.