- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Wow. I am not dead, I swear. I have been writing, but I haven't been coming around to uploading it. Here's some more. I will try haaard to pump out something decently lengthed next time, and soon. Ahaha, though I'm sure my promise no longer carries any weight. My immediate family is sick, you see, and I haven't had much time to get things together or be very organized.

____________________

Gwenevere awoke with a sharp memory of her converrsation with Amaranthine last night. She was to go out and find a commoner for her daughter to speak with. She did not like the thought; she did not want her daughter to be tainted by the lower classes of society, but she also wanted to do what she could to try and make her daughter happy.

Either way, she thought, surely the commoners would be just as terrified of her as all of the other men. She could keep her word with her daughter without having to ruin her family's name.

Gwenevere crawled out of bed and immediately called to her assistant, Alice, one of the very few other people who knew about Amaranthine.

 

__________________________

 

Alexander trudged down the blackened road in hopes of running into Paul and Shaun. They were brothers, young kids around the age of nine or ten, who had lost their father several years ago during a fire. Their mother was sick, so her two sons often went out to look for work in order to pay her medical bills. Alexander had grown quite close to the pair, and he often assisted by taking care of their mother or giving them a bit of silver for bread.

 

He didn't have a home himself, but most people in the Darkstreets, the affectionate name for the slum of the city, didn't either. Paul and Shaun's mother lived in a small shack, and he was often invited to stay overnight, but he couldn't take the musky smell of the city. He preferred to be just outside; it was a completely different world. There were massive fields where farmers would grow crops and orchards, and a small creek to the east where Paul and Shaun would catch snails or small frogs.

 

In fact, that was exactly where Alexander was headed. He knew that the kids would probably be trying to cool off in the creek on such a hot day. He smiled, feeling nostalgic of times he spent at the creek when he was younger himself, always managing to find a reason to smile despite his unsteady childhood.

 

His thoughts were interrupted when Shaun ran up to him, utterly frantic. “Alexander!”

 

“What's the matter?” Noticing Paul wasn't with him, he continued, “Where is Paul?”



“At the creek! We were lookin' for some frogs or bugs, you know? Paul found this huge snake! I told 'im not to try and catch it, but he did! And it bit 'im! He can't walk, please come and help!”

 

Alexander's eyes grew wide. “Go back to town and get the doctor, Shaun. He'll be okay, I promise.”

 

Though hesitant to leave his brother, Shaun nodded and ran off back in the direction of the Darkstreets. Regretting not asking Shaun where exactly Paul was, he went to the north side of the creek and moved south.

 

“Paul? Paul, where are you? I'm here to help!”

 

“Alexander?!”

 

Hearing Paul's voice, Alexander headed in the direction it came from before spotting his pale figure lying helpless on the bed of the creek.

 

“Paul, I sent Shaun to get a doctor.” He explained as he knelt to the boy's side. “I need to carry you back as far as possible.”

 

Paul simply grunted as Alexander lifted him into his arms. He walked steadily back toward the Darkstreets, hoping to run into the doctor before it was too late for his young friend. 

 

Paul groaned in pain, causing Alexander to become more anxious for his health. He tried to be more careful to not cause Paul's wound any stress.

 

 

 

“I've got the him, Alexander! We're here!” Came a voice seemingly not too far off in the distance.

 

Alexander looked up to see Shaun, followed by a young doctor of the city, and a well-dressed woman who he had never seen before.

 

“Put him down, I have my supplies right here.” The doctor said, immediately looking over Paul's body.

 

“Will he be alright?” Alexander asked.

 

“I think so. These bites are very common in this region, so I do not believe his health will be a concern. However, medicine for this is not cheap, either...”

 

“Please, treat him. I will find a way to pay for the medicine, I swear it.”

 

The doctor looked at him cautiously. “Normally, I wouldn't do this, but I trust you. And it would not do any good for my conscience if I let this boy suffer. I expect twenty gold for his treatment in no more than a month, otherwise his family may have to start holding off on paying for their mum's treatment to pay for this.”

 

Alexander's jaw dropped. twenty gold? That was more than he could make in a year!

 

“Nice of you, looking after these kids like out of your own good will.” Said the woman he noticed earlier. She looked out of place, wearing expensive black clothing and out in this area alone, aside from the doctor. There was something awfully suspicious about her.

 

“Excuse my asking, but who are you? And what are you doing out here alone?”

 

“I was talking to this fine doctor when Shaun here ran up, saying his brother was injured. I came along. My name is Alice.” She smiled casually and held out a gloved hand.

 

“I'm Alexander.” He said, returning the gesture.

 

Alice smiled. “So I've heard."