- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
A little faster, and shorter, than chapter 1. Not too much action here, but there's a nice detailed scene and a fun cliffhanger at the end. :)
Chapter 2: The Bid for Power and the Trip That Follows

Kari ran through the empty halls, gasping, crying for no reason at all. She was confused, she didn’t understand. How did it happen? What happened? Was it real? Was it her imagination?

She whirled around the corner and bumped into him, gasping and holding onto him tightly, glancing upward.

He merely placed a gentle hand on her cheek and smiled, “Did you enjoy your proof?”

“Proof? That was your proof?! I just killed him without knowing! He died like a bug!” She wailed, grasping his shirt, “You made me murder someone!”

He continued to smile down at her and chuckled, “Did I really? Did you actually kill someone? Or did you step on an insect?”

“He was an asshole! But did he really deserve that?”

“You tell me. I merely acted on your thoughts and desires.”

“H-huh?”

“It happened because you wanted it to happen, I merely made your simple wish come true. In your mind you felt he was beneath you, and that’s exactly what happened, he ended up beneath you.”

She swallowed hard and looked downward, releasing him and nibbling on her lower lip. He was right, she felt like a tiny speck crowded by a bunch of bigger specks, suffocating her. She wanted to break free from the crowd; she wanted to be the crowd. She thought of Jason as a mere worm, and so he made him into a mere worm, to be crushed like one. She looked back up at him with soft eyes, “You’re doing all this for me? But why?”

He chuckled and took her hand, squeezing it firmly, but fondly “If you cry for help enough times, the help will come. I do have my own agenda as well, but you needn’t know about that. Not just yet.”

“Could I at least know your name then?”

“Of course, I’m Maxim, a demi-god.”

She merely stared at him, but after what just happened, she believed it, people don’t just SHRINK and end up under people’s shoes just like that. She did ponder his agenda, but he seemed so sincere, she could trust him. “So…are you reading my mind or something?”

He shook his head and smiled, he was so charming and handsome it was almost unbelievable, “Not your mind,” He whispered as placed a fingertip on her forehead, “But your desires, the feelings and thoughts that come from your heart,” he brought that finger down to her chest with a soft chuckle, “Your wishes, your dreams, your TRUE feelings.”

She blushed, rather deeply at that, “Well, I should get going. I’ll miss the train.”

He smiled warmly to her and leaned down to kiss her forehead, “Sure. You should get going, and don’t worry, I’ll always be watching you.” He grinned, “I’ll be listening to your thoughts, just call for me and I’ll be there.” He waved his hand and then faded away slowly, his body leaving in a pretty sparkle of light.

Kari waved as well and continued to do so even after he was gone and sighed as she looked toward the train station. “I can’t believe it…I killed that boy just like that, without even knowing.” The thought haunted her the entire time. She stepped on him, killed him and she didn’t even know it at first. He died like an insect, but he was human and then he remembered Maxim’s words, “Did I really kill him…or did I step on an insect…?” She shivered, standing on the platform and listening for the approaching train.

The thought never left her mind, she replayed it over and over, and it was as if something was being triggered. It tickled her lips, to really have that much power over someone. She shook her head as the train approached, “No. No. It’s murder, it’s wrong.” She said to herself, repeating it over and over in her head and stepping off the platform and boarding the train. The car was empty, which brought a smile to her face as she went to take a seat, placing her bag in her lap and glancing out the window as the train pulled out.

Meanwhile, another well placed event was taking place nearby. Similarly to Jason, one would wake up and have no idea where they are. She was a schoolgirl that went to the same school as Kari. She was one of the popular crowd and in turn, another one of those to give Kari a hard time. Much like the rest of her group, she was tall, sexy and busty, but now she was around an inch or so tall, trapped in darkness. She stumbled around in the dark, bumping into wall after wall, tripping over object after object. She had no idea where she was, she could only gather that she was trapped in something, but she couldn’t understand where. One wall felt like plastic, another felt like leather, and another felt like some soft fabrics. It didn’t make sense to her.

She continued to wander around until she realized she was walking in circles, wherever she was, it didn’t have much space. She felt panicked and unable to relax, still running around the area, trying to find a way out. She just blacked out and ended up here, her cell phone didn’t work, and she had no idea what was happening. She screamed out for help, but nothing, there were no windows, no light, nothing. It all seemed hopeless for her, and she sat down on the leather floor and began to cry.

But that would quickly soon end as she found herself jostled around as her area seemed to move, objects sliding around, and a wooden something hitting her from behind and knocking her on her face. The shaking stopped and light seemed to pour in as the roof seemed to open. The girl stumbled to her feet and looked around and her face fell pale in disbelief. The object that struck her from behind was a handle of a gigantic hairbrush; and upon further observation, there were two gigantic textbooks, and a larger than life cellphone. This was impossible! She thought, and tried to make her mind believe that it was just an illusion, maybe it was some props by the drama class. She almost made herself believe it until there was a booming, thundering voice overhead that shook her to the bone.

“Now where is it?!” And then a gigantic hand with a faded shade of blue nail polish descended down on her. The girl screamed and backed up in fear, stumbling over the hair brush handle and onto the bristles which stuck her in the back. The pain didn’t bother has as much as that massive hand coming down, fingers touching the bottom and grasping along, searching and feeling until they curled themselves around the hairbrush handle and lifted the entire thing, along with the inch high girl up into the air and out of the bag.

Kari smiled, holding the brush as she stood at her bus stop waiting, “Gosh my hair is a mess.”

The girl trapped among the bristles couldn’t believe it. That face, that gigantic, building sized face; the girl who she endlessly teased and tormented. It had to be a nightmare, it just HAD to be. She tried to remain still as possible, but to no avail, Kari spotted her, those small lips, now big enough to engulf her, became a perfect ‘O’.

Kari was shocked, another tiny person in her hair brush, but this time she wasn’t scared, or surprised with fear. She was excited. It put a smile on her face when she turned the brush over to dump the tiny schoolgirl into her palm, gazing down at her, eyes squinting as she leaned in closer to get a better look. “Hey! I know you!” She exclaimed, “You’re one of those little whores who used to fuck with me all the time.” Kari chuckled darkly, enjoying the turnabout. She was the bigger one this time, while this girl was puny and pathetic, right in the middle of her palm.

The girl dropped to her knees and clasped her hands together, eyes filled with tears as she begged, “K-Kari! Please don’t!” She pleaded, which were tiny squeaks to Kari’s ears, “I’m really sorry for being so mean to you. C-could you change me back or something? Or find out how this happened to me? Please, I’ll do anything you want, anything you say. Just help me! Please!”

Kari simply grinned, “Oh well you know I’d LOVE to help you out, but you’re one of the reasons why this is happening.”

“Wh-what do you mean? What are you talking about?”

Kari licked her lips, and lowered her eyes as her grin turned sinister, “You’re one of the many people that made my life a living hell, now it’s time for things to change. Others won’t make hell for me; I’ll make hell for others. And you have the honor of being my second victim.” She whispered, her fingers starting to move, curling closer and closer over the tiny girl.

The girl gasped, seeing the fingers slowly come down on her, “W-wait Kari! Please! Don’t! Don’t kill me!!”

Her pleads fell on deaf ears, the fingers closed in around her, engulfing her as Kari trapped her in a firm fist, which tightened…and tightened…and tightened….until…

The girl’s screams were silenced, Kari could feel the body breaking and crumbling in her hand, and then felt the warm, wet squishy insides spill out into her hand. Kari exhaled, and slowly opened her hand and simply chuckled, “Wow that looks terrible. Jason had it easier than you…”

The girl’s body, or what was left of it, was mangled and curled, as if she was compressed by uneven surfaces. Kari tossed the remains in a nearby trash can, and licked the rest off her palm and fingers. “So this is what it’s like. It’s so simple…so easy. Give me more…” She whispered to nothing, but knew full well that Max could hear her.

The bus pulled up and the doors opened, but this time, something was different.

“You want more?” said a familiar voice coming from the bus driver’s seat, “You’ve got more.”

Kari’s eyes lit up as she saw him, giggling with delight as she boarded the bus. Maxim was sitting in the driver’s seat, taken control of the bus, and pointed a thumb down the aisle with a soft chuckle as the door closed. There was so many of them, running here and there along the bus floor, the rest shivering in their seats. Bus riders, young to old, were shrunken down from one to four inches, all for Kari’s amusement.

“Have some fun, dear. This will be a long ride.” Max laughed, driving off as Kari stood at the front of the aisle, clutching her bag and staring at all the tiny playthings.

And now the games would begin.