- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
A girl is frustrated over her lack of progress with a new short story, and discovers a new way to vent her anger.
And then everyone lived happily ever after.

“NO!” Pam shouted, crumpling up the tall stack of papers. She'd spent the last four hours writing a rough draft to a children's book, and had grown increasingly angry at the resulting story. First she felt the characters were too unbelievable, then their situations spiraled out of control, and to top it all off, she didn't feel like she could properly end the story. It might have been salvageable with some work, but she would rather scrap the entire thing and start over.

Exhaling slowly, she counted to ten. Picking up a clean sheet from her stack, she sized the page up. Call it neurotic, but Pam felt like a proper story could only begin on a perfect sheet of paper. Anything after was irrelevant, only that first sheet mattered.

“Ok. Maybe I should give up on another story for right now.” Pam said, her voice trailing off as she watched a butterfly float about her desk. “I'll just... practice some more. At least the time won't be wasted that way...”

The butterfly fluttered about aimlessly, and Pam set to work. She described the thin wings that propelled the butterfly to and fro. Unfortunately, it didn't seem to be doing much else.

“Come on... you stupid.” She said, waving her hands around the stationary butterfly, spurring it back into flight. The insect quickly gave up on moving again though, and simply stood on Pam's desk, almost lifeless.

“And THEN!” Pam scratched on her page, anger swelling. “The butterfly EXPLODED in a puff of smoke! So nobody ever had to deal with it again!” She wrote.

Without a moment's notice, the butterfly did just that. One minute it was standing in place, idle, and the next it was but vapor. Pam knew the proper reaction should have been surprise, and shock. The only thing she felt though, was even more anger.

“LUCKILY! a tiny panther then hopped on Pam's desk, and made sure to keep up the action, so Pam would have things to write about!” She wrote, frustrated at the gall of the butterfly to just up and explode like that.

Then, a tiny panther, only a few inches long, apparated onto Pam's desk. It promptly began to stalk about, not stopping for even a moment.

Pam watched, the coincidence beginning to unnerve her more than the sheer impossibility of the situation. Was she controlling it?

“Then... the panther got a top hat and cane, and started to dance. Also it was singing, 'Hello! Ma Baby' at the time.”

On cue, the panther stood on its hind legs, a top hate poofed on top of its head, while a small cane appeared in its paws. Then, like the cartoon frog that inspired Pam, it began an exaggerated dance, spinning its cane and holding the hat. The song lyrics weren't quite legible, but it was enough to convince Pam that she had some things to take care of.

Spinning in her chair, she turned the TV behind her on, and switched to a local channel.

Moving back to her empty page, she began to write again.

“Elsewhere in the city, a giant version of Pam appeared. Every way identical to the real version, she decided to make her awful, shitty employers pay for all the annoying amounts of work they forced on her!”

Turning, Pam looked at the TV, waiting for the news report to come on. Her doppelganger would be the top story of the night for sure, and she couldn't wait to see herself destroying all that she found offensive.

A minute passed, and nothing happened. Two minutes passed. Still nothing.

Angrily turning around, Pam hastily scribbled onto her paper.

“ALSO ALL OF THE NEWS STATIONS WERE COVERING IT!”

In an instant, the feed on the TV switched to a live news broadcast, where a woman completely identical to Pam stood in the midst of destroying a building. Large crowds of people were fleeing the scene, but the reporters were anxious to get the full details.

Pam lay back in her chair, relaxing as she watched the carnage unfold. She'd long hated her publishers, but had foolishly locked into a contract with them. She wouldn't be free of it until she'd given them three books to publish, and at the time she'd only had one. Still, it was entertaining watching them be destroyed from the ground level.

The doppelganger stomped viciously onto the knee-high buildings, and wiped her feet through the crowds mercilessly. Pam briefly wondered if her creation had a mind of its own, but quickly stopped caring as it detracted from her overall enjoyment.

Then, without warning, the giant version of Pam stepped forward, her foot crushing the reporters for the channel she'd been watching, and replacing the feed with static.

Laughing to herself, she quickly changed the channel, and found that her text had worked a little too well. Every single channel was covering the rampage, not just local channels. Much as she wanted to keep watching her former place of employment be destroyed, she began to have new thoughts about what to do.

Turning back to her half-full page, she added another line to it.

“Then a tiny version of Pam's boss, Mr. Boddicker, was moved to Pam's desk. He was tiny of course, standing not much more than a scant few inches in height, but it was more than enough for the plans she had.”

With a greasy pop, a tiny version of Mr. Boddicker was on Pam's desk, and looking very scared over his newfound predicament. Seconds ago he'd been fleeing the giant version of this woman at his office, and now he was on a vast, mostly empty desk with another giantess of Pam looking right at him.

“So, Mr. Boddicker, I assume you've seen what I've done with your place?” Pam asked, smiling down at the sweating man.

“P-Pam! You have to stop this!” he begged, dropping to his knees.

“Ooh, I'm sorry. It's a little late for that.” Pam said, scooping the man up. “I'll tell you what though, you'll have a long, long time to explain to my why I have to stop this.” She explained while standing and moving to the corner of her room.

Reaching for a pair of sneakers, she dropped her tiny boss into a shoe, where he tumbled down until he reached the toe. Then, reaching for a pair of discarded socks nearby, made sure to plug up the hole, and trap him inside.

“The giant woman seems to have stopped moving, I repeat, she is no longer moving!”

Pam glanced at her TV, which had switched to an overhead shot of the situation. Her giantess-self was standing still, now that the streets were covered in bloody swaths, and the entirety of her work building was a pile of rubble. She hadn't given herself any instructions beyond destroy that place.

Clicking her pen, she added a new line to her page.

“And then the doppelganger vanished!”

Like that, the giantess disappeared completely, and Pam smiled. She could certainly have a lot of fun with this newfound power, and already her mind was beginning to fill with thoughts, both kind and cruel.