- Text Size +
Story Notes:

A re-posting of a story that has lost all its text recently, probably due to the actions of the same hacker who's been intermittently causing trouble on the forum for years. Sorry it has to occupy "most recent" again, but what else can I do?

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

It was early 1973. Architect Mike Brady announced some good news to his wife Carol, his three sons Greg and Peter and Bobby, his wife’s three daughters Marcia and Jan and Cindy, and their housekeeper Alice.

 

“So that’s the deal,” said Mike, “I’ve been approached by a brilliant scientist and asked to design a factory for him to house the machinery being used to design and test his unique inventions.”

 

“What is it?” asked Peter.

 

“Well you know how the septic tank in the bathroom ices up in winter when the water freezes?” asked Mike, “My company’s client is perfecting a device which will heat up the water in the septic tank, without damaging the tank, and without being damaged itself by the water. He needs a lead lined factory to test the device safely. If he manages to perfect it, the Loo-Thaw device will be warming up toilets all over the country before you know it. So important is the lead lined factory, that the client has offered us not only an initial fee for the factory design, but a percentage of the profits from the first two years’ sales of the Loo-Thaw device.”

 

“Do you think they could give us one of the first ones produced instead?” asked Alice, “I’ve had a rather cold seat at times myself.”

 

“I’ll ask them,” said Mike, “In the meantime I’ll have to spend extra hours there consulting with the client and working on the factory. I hope you’ll all understand.”

 

Greg Brady in particular was pleased to hear the news that his father would be around less in the evenings. Greg had been cultivating a secret aspiration, ever since he and the other Brady kids and the school librarian Miss Prince had accidentally time traveled to Ancient Greece. Miss Prince kept her dark hair in a bun, wore a pleasant skirt and cardigan and had really captured Greg’s heart. Greg Brady had just cut removed the wide growth of his hairstyle, making it as neat as it had been at the time of his father’s marriage to Carol. He decided that now was the best time to act.

 

The very next day, he went into the library during lunch hour and presented Miss Prince with a red rose.

 

“Why thank you, Greg,” said Miss Prince, “To what do I owe the pleasure?”

 

“I was hoping you might like to go skiing and  ice skating with me, Miss Prince,” said Greg, “I never really had the chance to do much skiing or skating that time when I lost the race bet to the cheating Chuck. I thought we could go up into the mountains together on the weekend and … “

 

“I’d look forward to that, Greg,” said Miss Prince.

 

“Where can I pick you up?” asked Greg.

 

“How about the far side of the park?” said Miss Prince.

 

So the two began dating, and a budding romance blossomed between them. For Miss Prince, the age difference only served to heighten the sweetness of Greg’s interest in her, and she admired his courage in asking her out in the first place. To Greg, the appeal of having overcome the potential difficulty in asking out an adult member of the school staff made him appreciate her affection all the more.

 

Meanwhile, Fred, Velma, Daphne and Shaggy had parked the mystery machine by the sea shore and taken a hired yacht out to a group of islands. They planned to camp out on one island, and investigate the rumours of a giant penguin being seen on the next island.

 

While Fred and Daphne steered the yacht, and Velma navigated their journey, Shaggy and Scooby applied their considerable expertise in consuming inordinate quantities of food, specifically hamburgers and biscuits.


They reached their destination island, and unloaded their camping supplies, pitched their tents and left Scooby sleeping by the dimly burning campfire for the night.

 

The following morning, they made their way toward the next island on their yacht, and snuck ashore in an area with plenty of bush cover. To their surprise, they were now able to get a clear look at what was indeed a giant penguin. However, it was not a real penguin, but a cleverly designed submarine docked on the island. Loading supplies onto it were three people. They recognized the first two from their previous encounters with Batman and Robin.

 

“The Penguin and the Joker!” hissed Daphne.

 

“But who’s the third one!” said Fred.

 

“Like, he’s got green skin and red jewels on his head. He must be the Ghost of the Bermuda Triangle!” said Shaggy.