- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

No sexy stuff in this chapter, just trying to advance the story. If you have any specific requests on what you would like to see when I get there, just post it on a review and I will consider it.

The Emperor stood on a balcony of the citadel of Urturu, leaning on the railings, overlooking the city and its flickering lights of various buildings in the night. He looked exhausted and depressed. He was holding a cup of wine in his hand, something that has kept him company since the day of reckoning, as his vassals were calling the destruction of his home city.

Urturu was a modest-sized city, standing on the pathway of a channel that connected the eastern and western part of his empire, hanging on a shattered coastline of protruding cliffs. It is a heavily fortified city with many natural defences, perfect for controlling trade. It was one of the first targets Arham the Great conquered early during his reign.

Behind him, the main hall of the citadel was ablaze with light. Music filled the atmosphere as Lords and Ladies mingled about, wearing their standard clothing and beautiful gowns for such an occasion, not betraying even the slightest expression of fear or anxiety. They probably didn’t even entirely believe what had happened to the capital, the emperor thought. Not that he tried to explain it to them much.  He was astonished at how much the peasants had turned and twisted the version of what really happened in just less than two weeks, adding to the nobility’s confusion.

Arham was throwing a ball, a way to keep his grip on his vassals. He needed them to see him, to know his presence. Dark times lied ahead, and the last thing he needed was the total collapse of his empire, whether a god demanded it or not. The horrific things he witnessed that day have twisted him inside. He couldn’t believe that anything, even a god, was capable of doing what he saw that day. He has convinced himself that he had to fight that... thing.

He chuckled amusingly at that thought. The goddess would probably reduce any army he managed to gather into a sex toy again, he concluded. But he wasn’t going to give up. Even if he did, he didn’t know how. Nobody who was in Tarthaghast that day knew why all this was happening. Most of those who were in the secret chamber that day though believed the emperor was at fault, that he has incurred the wrath of Arryia, as the local population referred to the mother-goddess Aria, and the rumours of that were spreading.

He drank the last bit of wine in his cup and went back inside. Straightened his back, arms clasped behind, and with a firm posture that betrayed none of the tiredness and depression he showed earlier, he went straight to his chair at a platform on the edge of the hall, directly across the entrance. He would have to endure a lot of the small-talk and politics associated with such an event and was the person that had be the definition of etiquette of the nobility.

He often longed for the days when he was young, having those poor little bastards at his feet as he conquered city after city. But he was wise enough to know that while metal conquered, words and culture preserved. If he ever wanted to keep his empire stable and not fall apart when he would be gone, he had to mix the different cultures that existed on his empire, as he had done so for the last twenty years. Events such as this ball were necessary in that aspect.

The Emperor sat in his guard-surrounded chair. Beside him was another empty chair. It has remained empty for the last 7 years now. He missed her dearly.

It was early in the evening and there were guests still coming. The more important ones always left it for later, and he needed to be there for them.

“Lord Lineu Mandy and lady Sidete Mandy, protectors of the city of Mandynatia.” A servant announced, as another of his vassal lords entered the hall. This one in particular hated Arham, he was a proud lord and hated the fact that he had to bow down to someone. Arham couldn’t care less.

He looked around, trying to spot Master Giedon, although he doubted that he was attending this ball. The man was drowning in guilt, he blamed himself for what happened, and what might happen.

“Lord Vindou Taspin, high governor of Urturu” and lady Marbelle Taspin.” announced the servant.

Arham saw one of his vassals approach him. “Your majesty, “ Kadrian greeted him, bowing. “may I have a moment of your attention?”

Kadrian Garvell was not a particularly important lord. But Arham regarded Kadrian him highly for his military genius, he was one of his best Generals. “Of course, Kadrian.” The Emperor stood up, as Kadrian approached.

“I have some certain military reports that I might have to discuss with you, your majesty.” He said with a serious look. “It concerns some of your vassals.” he added.

“They’re mobilizing their armies, probably waiting for the moment to strike against me.” Arham said, as he looked around. He saw that a lone lady in a stunning black gown entered. She had no company with her.

Kadrian didn’t betray a look of surprise, he probably was accustomed to the emperor anticipating many things, he had was after all called ‘the great’ for a reason.

“We might be able to use that information to bully them.” Kadrian continued. Arham though, was concentrated on the lady that had entered the ball just a few moments earlier. He saw her hand a card to the announcer. The servant obviously didn’t know her, he needed something from which he could announce her name and titles.

Kadrain turned to see what the emperor was looking at. He gawked slightly. “She certainly is beautiful!” he said. In fact, she was catching the attention of a great many Lords and Ladies.

“She is indeed.” approved Arham. So beautiful... he thought. Yet somehow, he knew her. He had seen her somewhere before, but couldn’t quite place it. His gaze turned towards the servant reading the card. He first saw a confusing look in his expression that shifted between the card he held in his hand, and the unknown newcomer. The woman simply nodded at him, as if reassuring that what he was reading was correct. Then his expression turned to surprise, and then... fear. Arham frowned as he looked at her again more closely, and then he recognized her. “Oh no...” he let out a barely audible whisper.

“Her divine empress, mistress Aria. Guardian of Mankind, Goddess of the Universe.” the servant finally announced.

The room grew suddenly and very unnaturally quiet. The music stopped as everyone in the room shifted their gaze at her, taking in what the servant just said. And she smiled.

***
Mase walked through the scorching sun towards the hill on the horizon. He was very tired and has barely eaten in days. For the first time in nearly two weeks, he had the chance to escape from the capital, away from the chaos and mayhem that reigned inside its ruins. He especially wanted to escape the prying eyes of the agents and units sent out from the Pasargadae to keep an eye on the situation.

He had the dubious luck of being present on this planet at the same time Aria made one of her visits. Nevertheless, he figured that if he wanted to survive that encounter, he had to seek a secure shelter. Even if he did survive her, it would be hard to get away from her indoctrinated servants. So he blended in with the population, and went to the palace, inside its cave system.

Of course, he got trapped inside when Aria decided to sit on top of the palace. It had taken over a week to get outside again, barely alive from hunger and thirst. But he survived. And after he regained his strength, he figured he would have get the heck out of this doomed planet. He didn’t want to witness the unspeakable horrors that were yet to come.

As soon as he was sure no one suspected him, he got out of the city and went for his ship that he had hid on a large cave inside a hill, about two dozen miles outside the capital.

He reached the sun-baked hill, rounding it to a side that looked broken, cliff-like. He searched carefully until he found the spot. The cave wasn’t visible, it’s entrance was hidden by a projection of a hologram cast out from the ship. He just slipped through the projection as if he was walking through a wall of dirt and stone. He was greeted by his small ship, left untouched since he arrived here. Finally... he thought.

“Freeze!” A shout came from behind him. Mase spun, blood indeed freezing. Then he saw the source of the voice. A commando.

Mase was paralyzed from the sight of five soldiers pointing their weapons towards him, clad on their military suits, faces hidden behind their glass-covers. They approached him slowly, circling around him. And I thought I could actually get away from this, he thought amusingly. Ah well, it was worth a try I guess.

“He appears to be unarmed.” One of the commandos said. “Indeed.” Respond what appeared to be the leader of the unit. He lowered his weapon, drawing near him, taking a close look at his face. Mase thought he could see a smile forming inside.

“Well well well...” the commando leader said as he withdrew slightly, “Isn’t this a surprise. Mase, leader of the rebellion.”

Mase let out a sigh. That was fast...

***

There was a seemingly eternal silence that stretched inside the hall. Aria always loved the surprise and confusion they showed in their faces when their minds were entertained with the idea that the woman that stood before them - a slender, harmless-looking but very beautiful woman - was infact a deity.

But their expressions had an air of curiosity within them. Most of those who were attending this ball hadn’t seen her do the things she did back on the capital, they could only feed their imagination upon the stories that were told by those who had survived her rampage. Their tales were probably filled with horror, destruction on a unseen scale, a massive god that killed normal people on the most abominable ways possible.

Yet there she stood, apparently. She looked normal, just like anyone else. How could someone as harmless-looking as this woman ever be the one that the stories described? She smiled. She would let them wonder longer, let their minds play with this idea. It generated all kinds of reactions. She simply loved playing those games.

Aria looked around, and swiftly found what she was looking for. She broke the silence as she took a step forward, then started slowly walking towards the emperor. The nobility certainly seemed afraid since they parted like magic as she walked amongst them. As soon as she approached the emperor, his guards immediately surrounded her.

“Give me one reason why I shouldn’t have you killed right here, right now!” Arham said. She raised an eyebrow. He was visibly alarmed and tensed as evidenced by the sweat on his forehead. Of course, Arham knew her to be what she claimed very well.

“Do you honestly think, dear emperor, “ she said, as she moved her left hand to her hip. “ that your guards here would be able to do that? “ She moved her right hand towards her gowns waistline. “You saw what I did to your city, you know very well what I’m capable of.” She said nonchalantly while lowering her hand down her gown, subtly gesturing between her legs.

Arham’s expression grew disturbed at that gesture, and the guards too were apprehensive towards her. But the emperor probably acknowledged the fact that a goddess wouldn’t just come into an event like this, surrounded by guards and his military, without being able to smite everyone to oblivion.

“Stand down.” He commanded. Aria smiled. She then walked towards the chair pairing the emperor’s one, and sat down. Arham looked at her perplexedly, but Aria gestured towards his chair. He sighed, then proceeded to sit down too.

“Carry on.” He said, gesturing towards the musicians with his hand.

The music resumed again and loud chatter immediately filled the atmosphere. Lords and Ladies alike were gathering near where the emperor sat. They avoided looking at the couple directly, mingling as if they were resuming their conversations, upholding etiquette, but their ears were certainly turned towards them.

The emperor turned towards the goddess. He looked at her with a suspicious gaze. “Why?” He asked simply.

Aria smiled at him. “Ah, dear emperor. Such a simple question, yet it necessitates a very intricate answer.” She turned towards the crowd in the hall, eying them. This night might indeed turn out to be fun.