- Text Size +

7. Best Frenemies

" Shit! There goes another one." Maddison angrily stated as the body of one of her shrunken victims was shattered in the grasp of her hand, leaving only a muddle of blood and other grotesque contents.

" Don't you think you've been a bit reckless with all your friends lately? " Liza sighed, she was sitting at the far end of Maddison's bed watching her at work, doing what she does best.

" What's that supposed to mean? I don't want to hear that kind of back-sass when I let you stay here." Maddison grumpily shook her hands a bit letting some of the blood fly off her hands and began to walk to the bathroom to wash off her hands.

" Yeah, but haven't you seen the news lately? All the disappearances of people that have been reported?" Liza got up to follow Maddison and put a hand on her head knowing the potential trouble that she could be in.

" Big deal. Like anyone can ever catch me, I do all my shrinking at the depths of night where there are virtually no witnesses. I toy with them for a little while, and then I crush them leaving no signs of evidence that could possible trace back to me. And even in the rare events someone did see me, I just shrink them too. As long as nothing crazy happens, no one will ever know." Maddison rolled her eyes as she gave her explanation and proceeded to wash her hands. The blood quickly mixed in with the water and ran down the drain, any physical contents to who that person was is virtually unattainable now.

" Big deal!? They're all people you've kidnapped, shrunk, and killed. Authorities and police are now investigating, but here you are on a hot streak running through 'friends' left and right. You've been like this ever since that whole incident with Fr-"

" Don't even say his name when I'm here! He's dead and gone, he's nothing to me and that's all there is to it!" Maddison cut off Liza, and her eyes became much more irate only from nearly hearing Franky's whole name being pronounced.

" Look I'm only saying you may want to slow your roll before something happens and you get caught." Liza sighed knowing just how unreasonable Maddison can be when she gets into one of her moods. However, that's been happening far more often ever since she apparently murdered Franky.

" Don't bullshit me, what you actually mean is before WE get caught. In reality you played as much a part in Franky's death as I did. I hope you haven't forgotten it's partly your fault he ended up in the position that he was in, from what I understand you both had every opportunity to escape that day but you wanted to have some fun of your own. Not to mention you've been here this whole time even helping me in tormenting some of my more recent friends, if I was to ever get caught in the eyes of the law we're accomplices." Maddison snickered a bit knowing that Liza was caught in her web with little she could do about it.

" And you think you're not going too far at all? " Liza questioned as she shifted her gaze to the ground in shame.

" It's sounding to me like you're going soft. You're free to leave anytime you want, but I doubt you'd be able to make it too far without me catching you and shrinking you again. Then again, I wonder how hard it would be to frame some evidence on you Liza. It'd be more than simple enough to find some sap to shrink, report him to the police and threaten him to telling him a certain black haired, tall girl, named Liza did it." Maddison callously smiled knowing she had all the blackmail in the world over Liza, and there wasn't much that she could do about it unless she wanted face dire consequences.

" Whatever." Liza, turned around and walked down the hallway in deep reflection. " Why didn't I escape when I had the chance, if only I had listened to. . " Liza paced back and forth knowing Maddison had her backed in a corner, even if she could split and leave, she'd have to be in constant worry and fear over what Maddison may do in retaliation. Ever since she's been Maddison's roommate, she took extra precaution by keeping her shrinking device in a safe that she knows the combination to which reduced any opportunity for Liza to betray her.

Liza sat down against a wall and simply began to contemplate all the events that has happened to her. After being in Maddison's clutches for roughly a month or so, and finally having the chance to escape. " Am I really a murderer. . .I never really killed anyone, yet I had the chance to stop her and escape. . .did Franky really die because of me ? " Liza aimlessly pondered, never having thought of the repercussions of the unlikely alliance with Maddison.

" You shouldn't so down though Liza we're totally like BFFL." Maddison said back in her chipper moods, coming out of the bathroom. " Best friends for life, anyway I better get ready for tomorrow, it's going to be a big day."

" Why what happened?" Liza asked curiously at Maddison's quick change of moods.

" I got a call from my parents. Some lady discovered a scientific phenomenon and contacted them about it. Since they're too busy to go over and check it out they referred her to me since I'm a genius at this stuff. " Maddison boasted clearly proud of her extensive knowledge in science fields. " She couldn't disclose a lot of information, but it sounds revolutionary."

" Interesting," Liza said not really meaning it, science didn't mean nearly as much to her as it did to Maddison.

" This may turn me into a legend! But, while I'm gone tomorrow I hope you behave yourself Liza. " Maddison said in a chipper tone before a drastic change when she addressed Liza.

" Whatever you say. " Liza replied with a sigh to Maddison's satisfaction as she walked back to her room leaving Liza by her lonesome. Liza only looked up to the ceiling in melancholy . " Why didn't I listen? "