- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Story 31:  Night Train

Eryca was driving an old pick-up truck filled with nonperishables from every city they stopped in. Refried beans and SPAM mostly. Alexander was in the passenger’s seat, Eryca was driving, and Alex was asleep, tucked safely in her bra. While driving near the Mississippi/Alabama state border, they noticed a van driving down the Interstate. Eryca began honking the horn like wild trying to get their attention. The van pulled over and out stepped an excited woman. Eryca likewise hopped out of the truck and rushed for her, excited to see other living people. The two embraced.

“I’m so glad to see other people,” the woman said.

“So am I,” Eryca said in a shrieking voice. Alex was pinned between to pairs of breasts, and would’ve complained, but he was being muffled and unheard. ‘Twas not until he began kicking savagely at Eryca’s breast that she remembered he was still in there.

“Oh, sorry dear,” she said, pulling Alex out.

“Sorry… indeed…” Alex said between gasps for air. “Hi… I’m Alex… pleasure to… to make your… to… to make your acquaintance,” he said, extending a hand to the woman.

“Hi. I’m Stephanie,” she said, shaking his hand with her thumb and forefinger. “And this is Paul.” She placed her hand by her shoulder and Paul stepped into her palm, emerging from the shadow her hair placed on her neck.

“Paul… Koudouris,” Alex asked.

“Yeah… why,” Steph asked, somewhat nervous.

“Mr. Koudouris, my name is Alex Coy. I’m somewhat of a broadway nerd, and just wanted to let you know that I loved ‘Free From the Script.’,” Alex said with a smile.

The five hit it off great. Humans are social creatures. They enjoy traveling in groups. And they did just that.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Alex was, as he so often put it, “An endless source of useless information.” Well, if you know enough useless information, sometimes it becomes useful. They stayed the night in a train station on the outskirts of Monroeville. Out of the corner of his eye, Alex spotted an old looking train with a cattle plow on the front of it. The roads were clogged, but the odds of running into another train were slim to none. And when they came across dead vehicles on the tracks, the plow would easily knock ‘em out of the way. Naturally the idea came to everyone’s head… but it was all just wishful thinking. The train had already been worn out by the elements in the month or so it had been sitting in the open. The inner workings of the train had fallen into utter disrepair.

The group was standing around, examining the train, feeling depressed at the prospect of having to continuously ride until traffic was too thick, and then walk until you could hijack another car.

“Well, it was a thought,” Stephanie said wearily.

“It’s more than a thought--what if I told you I could get this thing up and running.”

“Huh? What are you talking about, sweetie?”

“My uncle worked with trains. He taught me a bit. Assuming this thing hasn’t rusted up in a lot of rain, I should be able to get it moving. I know enough about the way it runs to talk someone through it--but if the wheels and shit are rusted up, there’s nothing we can do. Fortunately the weather this time of year is normally pretty dry, so let’s keep our fingers crossed… do I have any volunteers?”

Eryca volunteered, but she couldn’t get to some of the more far-back bells and whistles. Alex ended up coaching Alexander through the repairs. Alex and Paul went in to clear crap out of some of the steam vents, while Eryca, Stephanie, and Alexander went to grab coal.

Half a day’s work went into putting that train back into commission. By nightfall, they were en route to Washington DC.