- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Story 25:  Peace of Mind

Paul walked into the room and saw Stephanie holding a gun to her head. He gasped. Steph looked over and saw the miniscule frame of her dead presumed dead boyfriend. She screamed and dropped the gun, setting it off with a loud bang. The bullet clipped her in the shoulder, sending her back against the wall. Whump. She fell to the floor with a thud, whimpering.

“Steph! Steph!” Paul rushed forward, standing before the face of his girlfriend.

“Paul,” she said in a strained voice. “God, it hurts… I… I thought you were dead.”

“No, you know me. I’ll get scuffed up, but you can never keep me down.” He flashed her a reassuring smile. There was a lot of blood.

“I’m sorry… I’m so sorry…”

“Don’t be, I had it coming, relax, just try not to move too much… you’re going to need bandages, or something to stop the bleeding. Uhm… Ok, tear off a bit of your skirt, hold it in place firmly, try and stop the bleeding.”

Stephanie did as she was told. The wound wasn’t too bad. She’d make it. She and Paul, they’re survivors. They’ll keep on moving no matter what gets thrown their way.

(And yet another "under 400 words" chapter.  This sucks.  Someone should talk to the Admins about this word limit stuff.  As always, skip the paranthetical filler stuff.  You know something?  Women are like HotPockets.  No, it's true.  Just think about it.  You're in the store, buying some groceries, when you see the picture on the box.  It looks perfect--all steamy and warm.  You buy it, put it in the freezer, and don't think of it again for quite some time.  Then you get the craving, and you know you need that Hotpocket.  You take it out of the freezer, look at the instructions on the back.  They're simple enough.  You pop it in the microwave and watch as it does it's little dance of temptation in the microwave.  The smell of melty cheese and savory meat parades around the room.  Ding!  It's done cooking.  You take the plate out of the microwave.  The plate's burning the skin off your fingers but you don't give a damn because it smells so good.  You want it, but you can't have it!  Because as soon as you bite into it it's gonna burn like the seven gates of hell!  And you tell yourself it's not worth it.  It's not worth the torment and anguish and you tell yourself you'll never buy another Hotpocket ever again... but then, next week at the store... you waste another $3.19 because you just can't help yourself. -- FB)