- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Story 23:  Chop Suey

Stephanie sat in the center of the living room, weeping. She hadn’t moved from that spot in almost two weeks. ‘I killed him… I killed him… maybe the only person left alive now… I killed him…’ Of course Stephanie was not aware that Paul had escaped, since all she saw was her foot slamming down on the spot where Paul once was. She was so sickened by her actions she vomited mere moments after the event. She regretted--nay, loathed the temper which had befallen her. She loved Paul. She never wanted to hurt him… She was going insane with guilt.

‘You’re nothing but a murderer.’

“No, I--”

‘He was depending on you--he loved you… and you killed him…’

“… Go away… go away…”

The voices had been plaguing her as soon as she realized what she had done. After three days of the voices, Stephanie had gotten a gun and placed it in front of her.

“Just in case,” she assured herself. After all, she could easily fight back voices coming from her own head… it’s only her voice. “Just in case…”

‘Pull the trigger, murderer.’

“No.”

‘You know you want to… you’re a horrible person. A selfish, lying, murderer.’

“Shut up,” Stephanie shouted at the top of her lungs.

‘Murderous bitch.’

Stephanie reached down and picked up the gun. Tears streamed down her face. “I swear to god, if you don’t shut up, I’ll blow you out of my head.” The cold metal muzzle of the gun pressed tightly against the temples of her head. It cut into the skin, allowing warm blood to trickle into her hair.

‘Do it. Absolve yourself of your sins… blow them out of you in one swift bang.’

“I’ll do it! I swear I’ll do it!!”

‘You don’t have the balls.’

“Oh god!”

Stephanie screamed. Bang. Whump. Thud.

(Once again, the chapter is not 400 words.  I have a mere 308 words, so once again I musts make filler stuff in order to post.  Just skip this and click on the next button.  I don't remember the word limit ever stopping me before... this must be something new.  Oh well.  Anyone else notice we have a president who always looks like he's staring into the sun?  Saving Private Ryan.  Casablanca.  Clockwork Orange.  Good Bye, Lenin!  To be or not to be, that is the question.  Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune, or by--and that's 92 words.  In conclusion, send Freak Boy $20. -- FB)