- Text Size +
How does one describe the sensation of shrinking? When questioned about it, the initial response is something along the lines of “Go fuck yourself.” But after the shrinkee has calmed down quite a bit, they can give a rather fitting description. The best documented account comes from the would-be writer’s memoirs which he wrote while imprisoned for dissent--but that’s another story. Here is the excerpt from one of the early chapters:

“I spent three or four days in a constant daze. I was always slipping in and out of consciousness. From what I could recall, Eryca was always by my side--usually weeping. I noted nothing of particular irregularity, except perhaps that I was cold. Yes, I found it odd that I felt so cold--as if I were in a freezer as a matter of fact--but I still had a fever of 102. I didn’t even realize what had happened until the symptoms faded and I saw Eryca’s giant face looming over me as she cradled me in her hands. Upon realization of my predicament, I let out a shriek and promptly passed out.”
-- Memoirs from the Dark Times, Alex H. Coy.

When Alex came to and found that it wasn’t a dream, he had a small breakdown. Alex kept his sanity knowing that there were certain possibilities and impossibilities that kept the world spinning. For one who temporarily was insane, knowing things are absolute is a great comfort. This is how things played out when Alex regained consciousness.

He sat up, still cupped in Eryca’s hands. He felt wet--she was crying again. He looked up at her. She forced a smile.

“Hi,” she said.

“Hi,” he said in return. You’re… shrunk. Being held in your girlfriend’s hands… this isn’t physically possible! Well, it happened, so that means the laws of physics no longer apply. And if the laws of physics no longer apply… I can fly. “I can fly.”

And with that, he leapt from Eryca’s hands. With sudden shock, he realized he could not fly, and was plummeting straight for the ground. Fortunately for Alex, Eryca responded with lightning fast Jedi-like reflexes and caught him immediately.

“Oh my god, are you ok,” she asked quickly, bringing him up to eye level, grasping him just a little too tightly.

“Yeah, I’m fine, just testing a theory. See, I figured I could fly and--”

“What were you thinking?! We’ve lost enough lives already. I don’t need you to die on me now that you survived the plague.”

“Plague? So, humans can catch it too?”

(The plague, so far as historians and scientists have been able to tell, affected most mammals. Horses in particular seemed to shrink in numbers nearing the point of extinction. Dogs as well. Rats, mice, cattle--all suffered from the plague. Cats, for some reason, seemed to be immune--as were birds. There was a sudden dip in the cat population, since without rats there was nothing to eat. But the surviving rats began dining on the corpses of the fallen, and in some cases hunting survivors, and their numbers began booming. Within a matter of months, cats, rats and mice were back to their normal populations. This kind of ecological balancing was not unique to cats and rodents, and took place throughout a great deal of the animal kingdom. Checks and balances of the natural world fell into place after some radical shifts. -- FB)

“You tell me.”

“Ok, dumb question,” Alex said. He let out a sigh. “Think you can loosen your grip on me?”

“Think you can resist trying to fly again?”

“Yeah, sure.” Eryca stopped holding him, and placed him down in her palms. Alex tried to stand, lost his balance on the fleshy surface, and fell down on his ass. He stayed sitting. “So… what happens now,” he asked.

“Well. We get on with our lives. We need to try and survive in this new world--see if there are any other survivors, and try to tough it out. If you and I are alive, then others are as well, and that means sooner or later the government will do something.”

“Haven’t all your years of being a revolutionary socialist taught you anything about government responses under Capitalism? All they did was run to their hidden underground bunkers and try to wait out the storm. Whether it did them any good or not is all we’ll know when government resurfaces or… just doesn’t exist anymore.”

“Don’t be so pessimistic, Alex.”

“Why not? Look at me--I’m helpless! I mean… I can’t do anything anymore!”

“It’s ok. I’ll take care of you.”

“But--”

“No.”

“What about--”

“I don’t care.”

“How can--”

“Stop it. I still love you. And I can only assume you still love me.”

“With all my heart, Eryca--I’d do anything to--”

“Then it’s settled. We love each other. Everything will work out fine in the end.”

“I love you so much,” Alex said, teary eyed.

“And I love you.” Eryca cast him a loving smile.

“Hold me.”

“I already am.” Alex was the one doing the weeping now, and Eryca stroked him and held him lovingly against her bosom. “Everything will be alright.”

While on the outside, Eryca made everything seem alright. But on the inside, Eryca’s mind was just as much of a mess as Alex’s. Questions flooded her head:
Why haven’t I gotten sick? Am I going to get sick--if I do what’s going to happen? Will I die if I get sick--or will Alex still die for that matter? What if I screw up--if he dies and it’s all my fault? And… what about sex? Oh shit.