- Text Size +
All his life, Mark had been… different. He was a loner--a philosopher in a land of the brain dead. He was shunned for his intelligence. And for many, many years he had been developing a little black book of names. His sniper rifle arrived a few months ago, and he had been tracking down a few of his more prominent targets. And then the plague hit. Much to Mark’s dismay, the play did most of the work for him.

Mark checked the houses of all known targets. Most were dead and he could do nothing but A) Desecrate the corpses or B) Burn down the house. After a few days of no survivors, he thought about killing himself. When, by a stroke of luck, he found a survivor. She was in the kitchen of her house, eating part of a peanut butter cracker when he found her.

His first victim was named Susan Mortem. She was in his high school class. He helped her with her Algebra homework. She would always flirt with him and make him feel special when she needed his help. And as soon as the test was over, he got the cold shoulder and she went to go fuck the football team. He never forgot her kind--the leech.

Shooting her wouldn’t be very satisfying. So he came up with another way of getting revenge. He decided to go Hannibal Lecter on her. For a being this bitter, he decided to wash her down with some white wine, and serve her with plenty of butter and salt. It was then that he learned why he survived the plague. He was a righteous man--as were all survivors of the plague, no doubt. But some who were afflicted survived too, and they were wicked of heart. He had to see to it that justice was served. It was his job--nay, his sacred duty… to wipe out those who the plague didn’t quite finish off.

Mark’s holy crusade took the lives of 32 innocent people--ranging from a 6 year old boy, to an elderly woman who was rendered immobile because her artificial kneecaps didn’t shrink with her body. The deaths of all these individuals varied--some were, much like Susan, lunch. Others were put through more rigorous tortures. Labyrinths on heated sheets of metal, maneuvering through series of fans, tossed into the dryer, and any number of other cruel torture methods. This brings us to where we are right now.

Toni was born in the Bronx. She went to college in El Paso, where she met Mark. She helped a bunch of kids pull a prank on him. She pretended to like him, took him to a dance--anyone who’s seen Carrie knows the rest. Just minus the setting the building on fire and stuff. When the plague hit she was attending her final year before receiving her Batchelors in Psychology. And that’s when Mark found her and stuffed her into his aptly named Duffel Bag of the Doomed.

“You know, I’ve always been a fan of Stephen King,” Mark said as he held Toni in place in his hand. She struggled and squirmed, but couldn’t get anywhere. “I suppose I should’ve seen it coming… in fact… some of your speeches to me came right out of the book. Right up until the ending. I do hope you got a good laugh from the whole experience.”

“Mark… I was a kid… I--I… I wanted to fit in, I didn’t mean to hurt you. I’m sorry.”

“Anybody can be sorry, Toni. Anybody can fuck up. But not everyone has the balls to take what is rightfully theirs--the revenge they so desperately crave.”

“Mark please I--”

“Silence,” he growled, squeezing her tightly in his grasp. She winced and uttered a gasp of pain. “Although… it is a shame. Such a pretty piece of flesh you are. Your disposal has plagued me much. I can’t seem to come up with a method quite worthy of you. There’s the microwave, but I don’t feel like going to hunt for cleaning supplies in people’s houses. Not to mention it’s just a waste of flesh. You see, human flesh is… delectable. I see now why Albert Fish was so drawn to the taste--and how Issei Sagawa was able to write about it and recall the taste with such longing.”

“I see you’ve done your research.”

“Oh, yes. I am an endless source of useless information. I’ve been trying to find a parallel to my own longing, but I can’t find one. Albert Fish was a pedophile, and while I’ve eaten child before, I certainly wouldn’t call my cannibalism sexual. Alexander Spesivtsev murdered for no reason--or at least so the Russian Police have decided. But Russia’s so underfunded we can’t really trust anything they say. Iseei Sagawa attempted to devour women he loved--and succeeded. Once and only once. He never did it again, and that disappoints me. But no, my actions are not sexually motivated. I am on a holy crusade--a mission from higher powers. This plague was meant to cleanse the planet of all impurities. I was not stricken--therefore I am good. The law of higher powers has spared me. I can only assume the powers that be have many many souls to claim, and in the process some were… shall we say forgotten. I believe that people like you--the victims who survived--were meant to be cleansed. And I am here to administer the law and finish that which the powers that be had intended. Do you understand, Toni?”

“I… Good lord, you’re insane. In a world so full of death, what could possibly justify the slaughter of the humans that are still left?! How could you--”

“I didn’t think you would understand. It’s just as well I suppose, all though this would have been somewhat easier if you had decided to be cooperative. I really did like you. It’s a shame you liked popularity more than what we could’ve had. You learned your lesson too late.” Mark stood up and made his way to a skillet. He sprayed it down with Pam and tossed Toni onto it. She screamed, but her pleas fell on deaf ears as Mark turned the burners on. And in the midst of the screaming and the sizzling noise as the Pam began to become hot, another sound was heard. The sound of a motorcycle approaching. Mark looked out the window at the approaching biker, and Toni tried to escape. No use. The Pam made the skillet too slick--she had no friction, and any time she touched anything she immediately had to recoil. It was starting to get very hot.

“Hello?” A knocking sound came from the door. “Anybody home--I saw you in the window. Hello?!”

“Oh, I must see who that is--don’t go anywhere… not that you can.” Mark laughed as he approached the door. Toni kept squirming, trying not to get burnt too badly. Already her hair was starting to shrivel.

************************************************** **********************

Mark opened the door to see a young man of Hispanic descent--maybe 17 or 18--standing at the door. He wore a red shirt with a yellow hammer and sickle of the 4th Internationale on it. He wore a leather jacket with patches from YSA, 4I, and other revolutionary Trotskyist organizations. He had a god awful hairdo--a mullet. He stood at about 5’7” and had an average build.

“Hi, I saw you in the window--I was looking because it’s one of the few houses with the light still on. Sorry, I haven’t introduced myself, I’m Freak Boy,” the Hispanic man said introducing himself.

“Hi, I’m Mark. Pleasure to meet you, my good man. I wasn’t aware anyone else in El Paso was immune to the plague.”

“Oh, I’m not from around here. I’m just passing through. I’m--”

“Where are you going? I thought society is dead now.”

“Oh, not quite. I’ve heard on the CB that civilization is sprouting up again in three major locations. New York, DC, and Vegas. Those are going to be the pinnacles of the new world in the Americas, I believe.”

“Oh? Please, do tell more--I was just fixing breakfast. I do hope you’ll stay.”

“Sure, that sounds great. What do you want to know?”

“Well, what do you mean civilization is sprouting up again?”

“It’s like this: All throughout the world, this plague devastated us. But many survived--some were immune, much like us, and others… well, as best as I can figure it out, their immune system kicked in after the initial effects of the virus shrank them. Based on figures I’ve gotten over the CB we’re guessing 25% of the human population is still alive--we do not yet have figures on how many are plague survivors, and how many are immune.”

“Hmm, interesting.”

“I was making my way to DC if you’d like to join me--a few others have been caravanning with me, I just set down this street to search for survivors. Normally we run into at least three or four right off the bat, but you’re the only one we’ve found.”

“A lot of people fled, fearing the worst,” Mark said simply. “Well, I guess I’ve got nothing left to do here. I’ll go grab myself some clothes, eat my breakfast, and then we’ll be off. I’ll be right back, just make yourself comfortable.” And with that, Mark made his way to his bedroom to pack.

Freak Boy paced back and forth for a while before deciding to see what exactly Mark was cooking. He stepped into the kitchen to see--

“Oh my god,” he gasped, rushing for the stove immediately.

“Please help me,” shrieked Toni. Tears streamed down her face--her once long hair was now short and in some places non-existent. She was red all over, and in some places starting to get very severe burns.

Freak Boy reached his hand down, and immediately recoiled from the heat. He gritted his teeth, reached down again, and with lightning speed and precision pulled Toni from the skillet, and placed her into his hand.

“Water, cold water,” he said, making his way towards the sink. Toni simply sat in his hands crying. She whimpered and shrieked and began kicking and screaming. “It’s ok, I’m here to help y--”

“Behind you,” she shouted.

Freak Boy turned around just in time to see Mark charge at him with a baseball bat. Freak Boy placed Toni on the counter and was barely able to dodge the swing.

“So, I see now that even those immune aren’t meant to be saved, Lord. Very well, I shall do thy bidding and finish what you started--that is why I am here, to do your will.” Mark charged at Freak Boy again, striking him in the rib cage with the bat. He coughed up blood, but was able grab Mark’s wrists and force the bat from his grasp. Freak Boy tackled Mark and the two began wrestling on the ground. First Freak Boy had him on the ground--he would’ve snapped Mark’s neck, but Mark bucked at the last second, sending Freak Boy toppling into a chair. In the confusion, Mark lunged upon him and jammed his thumbs into Freak Boy’s eyes. Freak Boy howled in pain, Toni shrieked in terror. Mark pressed and pressed, and then there was an explosion.

Toni watched with horror as the scene became deathly still. Finally Mark slumped down, revealing Freak Boy holding a .357 in his hand. He stood up slowly, blood trickling from his left eye. He hobbled towards Toni.

“Relax, it’s ok now. He won’t do you, or anybody else, any more harm,” Freak Boy said, placing his hand next to her. Toni slowly moved into his hand. “One of the guys in our group is a doctor--I’ll see what he can do.”

Toni tried to speak, but no words came out.