- Text Size +
Private James Koulav was in the US Marines. After the invasion of Afghanistan in late 2001, he went AWOL. Fearing the battlefield of the Middle East, he hopped the border to Mexico where he made a decent living helping out tourists in Cancun. While on the outside he appeared just fine, he was a mental wreck. He had become increasingly paranoid that the US Government would find him and send his ass to Iraq. His greatest fear was being forcibly removed from his new home and thrown into the battlefields of the Middle East. He had seen what Desert Storm did to his father, and he didn’t want to wind up like that.

The Plague hit Mexico before it had even spread all across the States--as a matter of fact, Mexico had succumbed to the plague before it even reached New York and Washington. There are many reasons--both cultural and economic--why Mexico fell so fast, but I’ll not bore you with the details. Just know that the biggest factor is probably that they had no knowledge whatsoever that this new brand of flu was a constantly shifting antigen.

The last few days were a haze for Private Koulav--when people started getting sick, the whole city kinda shut down. Tourism was virtually nonexistent, and it was not uncommon to see signs saying “Closed Due To Flu”. Being an alcoholic, this created a problem for James. He spent the last few days breaking into liquor stores and drinking their products--leaving money on the table, weighted by a shotglass or two. For the last three days, he has been sleeping off a wicked hangover, and he’s in for a rough wakeup call.

************************************************** **********************

James awoke to the sun beating down on him. It was wicked hot, and the sand beneath him seemed to be the only thing cool in the area. The world around him was dark… he couldn’t breathe. He sat up with a start. His front torso was covered in rocks and pebbles.

“Where the fuck am I,” he wondered aloud. He looked behind him and saw the tattered remains of a large tent of some kind… he felt the wind blowing strongly, and he saw the endless desert before him. Cold realization dawned on him. His greatest fear had come true. He was in the middle of Iraq, and the sole survivor of an attack on his military base.

“Good God…,” he said. He looked to the base, and looked to the endless desert before him… he fell to his knees. “My God… they did it… they finally did it… damn them… Damn them!! Damn them all to hell, this isn’t my war!!” James looked to the ground, noticing his lack of clothing. He went to the collapsed tent and tore himself off enough cloth to make a sort of wrap around cape. He found a rock in the sand and held it by him--he could only assume the terrorists took all the weapons. Once he had himself wrapped in the olive-drab garb, he concealed his rock and began the long walk to… he wasn’t sure where. All James knew is that he had to head North. If he could get to Europe in one piece, perhaps things would work out.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

James traveled for two days across the desert, looking like a Middle Eastern merchant with his garb set up much like a keffiyeh. The large wrap around cape made it seem like one piece of clothing, and he looked strange to say the least. He hadn’t seen anyone around for miles--that wasn’t a good sign. He didn’t know where he was… and then he started hearing explosions.

Instinctively James dived to his chest and crawled towards the sound. If any of his fellow countrymen were in danger, he was going to help them. Instead the sight that greeted him was one of horror and dismay. He saw the large, hulking figure of a Middle Eastern woman--appearing to be roughly 50 or 60 feet in height. She was carrying a shovel and was burying two large bags… James wanted to scream but his throat simply locked up.

She put the bags into the hole she was digging and began speaking some Arabic gibberish.

************************************************** **********************

Josephine Rodriguez was 17 years old. She was a normal girl, attended public school, and worked in her family’s diner. A few weeks ago, her parents got very sick. They closed down the diner, deciding to open it once this nasty strain of flu went away. It didn’t go away. They died. For a few days, she didn’t know what to do with the bodies. She left them there for about a day, before concluding that they needed a proper burial. With the priest gone, she would conduct the ceremony herself. A few Hail Marys, a moment of silent prair, and then she would have to try and survive in this new ghost town. So far as she could tell, she was the only survivor of this… strange plague. But something was amiss. Windows were broken, money was left on tables, and empty liquor bottles were everywhere. She supposed it could have been from the rioting towards the end, but she didn’t remember any of these things being broken once everything died down. There may be someone out there. She would like that. She hated, more than anything, that feeling of being alone.

She placed her family’s corpses into the hole she dug for them, and buried them. She began the ceremony.

“Ave Maria, gratia plena Dominus tecum; Benedicta tu in mulieribus, et benedictus fructus ventris tui, Iesus. Sancta Maria, Mater Dei ora pro nobis peccatoribus, nunc et in hora mortis nostrae.

“Amen,” she said, and stood up. She heard something from the bushes. She looked over and saw what looked to be a mouse in a keffiyeh running towards her at top speed. Being terrified of mice (for she believed it was they who spread plagues) she screamed and began to run towards her home.

************************************************** **********************

James, once he got over the woman’s skin color, began listening to the words coming out of her mouth. It was not Arabic, it was Latin. She was a God fearing Christian, and maybe she could help him get to Europe. He rushed forward, shouting at the top of his lungs to try and get her attention. She looked, shrieked, and set off running.

James was fast, but not fast enough to keep up with this titaness’s long strides. But, she wasn’t hard to find. Her footprints--to him--were large enough and easily seen. He made his way after her constantly thinking ahead to how he would get help in Europe, or at the very least live a relaxing life there. Little did this warrior know just what was in store for him.

He reached the house she ran into. The door was closed, but it wasn’t exactly air tight--few local Mexicans can afford that sort of thing. Cleanliness is for the white tourists. James wriggled under the door to see the woman sitting at a table, head in her hands. Whether or not she was weeping was not yet apparent.

“Excuse me, ma’am,” he said. She didn’t hear him. “Excuse me!” She looked up. She gasped and backed up. “Please, ma’am, don’t be scared. Look, I don’t know what happened but--”

“Stay away from me! I don’t want to catch it, get away!”

“Catch it--what the? Holy shit!” Before James could do anything else, a shoe was hurled from across the room at him. He was knocked out and given a concussion on impact.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

James awoke several hours later. On either side of him were… black walls of some kind. It was dark. He looked up and saw, looking back at him, the giant visage of a beautiful Hispanic woman with long hair that cascaded around either side of him, creating the illusion of being in a building.

“I’m sorry--are you hurt?”

“I… I’ve had worse.”

“I didn’t mean to… I just… I’m so scared right now, and I--” she began weeping. “I hurt you, I’m so sorry!”

“Relax, I’m fine,” James said, brushing off the tears as they hit him. He was getting soaked. “Don’t worry, I understand--I know I look like a terrorist in these rags, and I’m pretty sure this area has been ransacked by Al Qaeda over the last few years but--”

“What? Al Qaeda? That’s… I think you’re a little confused.”

And so Josephine told James of the plague, of the countless deaths, of the fall of civilization as we know it. James sat in silence for a long time, contemplating the loved ones he’d never see again.

“Are you ok, James,” she asked in her thick Hispanic accent.

“I’m fine. The question is, what do we do now?”

“I don’t know. We’re running out of food though…”

“Washington.”

“What?

“You and me are going to Washington DC. Capital of the USA. If nothing else, they would’ve put the important political figures in underground bunkers, safely away from the virus. You and I are alive, so it stands to reason that others will be too. I think DC is the most likely place for civilization to start up again--that or New York, but DC is closer. So let’s go.”

It took some convincing, but Josephine agreed. They set off the next morning, leaving behind their old lives in Cancun.