- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

I decided to upload another chapter today. Enjoy! (Guess who was right about predicting the next chapter name?)

I woke up with a start to a ferocious roar. Immediately I sat up, glanced around, and…

…and, with a wave of despair, remembered where I was. The sound was the giant’s stomach growling, of course. I had fallen asleep on her last night not long after I agreed to have a truce with her.

 I looked over to her face. Her neck looked like its painful position of being craned up against the wall had given her discomfort last night. Her head was mostly on its side with a hand covering her forehead as her eyebrows were furrowed in deep thought.

She was still asleep. I felt sort of bad when I realized that while I was warm and comfortable during the night, she was sprawled out on the cold metal floor.

I wasn’t sure what to do. I didn’t want to sit here, but I didn’t want to wake her up. I wasn’t even sure if I could.

If you’re wondering why I’m suddenly taking a lighter opinion of her, it’s because last night was extremely emotional for me. Frankly, I didn’t even know what to think anymore. You heard what happened. Don’t get me wrong; I’m still no giant lover and she still intimidated me.

I looked down at her feet. They were so far away, yet they were still connected to what I was standing on. She was literally a living landscape. My mind swirled in wonder about this fact when she finally began to wake up.

I guess she forgot where she was as much as I did, because I felt myself sliding down the plain of her stomach as she lifted her torso in a daze that sent me falling along her belly and down to her lap. She immediately realized this and scooped me up into her hands to bring me in front of her face. Her eyes were wide and I could feel her hot breath wash over me as she began to speak.

“Yikes! You’re okay, right? I didn’t accidentally hurt you? Damn, I must’ve forgotten that I let you sleep there last night.”

“No, I’m fine.” I replied, nervously rubbing my shoulder. She let out a sigh of relief and set me down on the floor next to her.

The lights in the room returned to their painful level of brightness and we both covered our eyes with an arm. A heavy mist slowly filled the room through small vents I hadn’t noticed in the ceiling before. I held my breath, unsure if I should inhale this substance, when the voice once again came over the loudspeaker.

“Good morning,” it began in its horrible monotone voice, cold as the room itself, “we do hope you enjoyed your rest; you will need it. The vapor being vented into this room will provide your body with the nutrients, energy, and liquid for the length of today.”

That was…strange. What kind of organization could have something as advanced as that? What was the purpose of this in the first place? I just couldn’t grasp it.

Reluctantly, I allowed myself to inhale. The mist was strong with a scent I cannot begin to describe, but it was neither pleasant nor hindering.

The wall on the opposite side we had come in yesterday snapped opened loudly, revealing another long passage.

“Hey,” came a god-like feminine voice from above, “what’s your name? I hope I don’t have to call you ‘Tiny’ or ‘Human’ or something.” she finished with a wink. I considered giving her a fake name, but I decided there would be no point to it.

“I’m Daniel. And you?”

“Lynn.”

I looked over to the passage and then up to my giant companion. This was going to be one hell of a thing.