- Text Size +

The human stared blankly at the wall and I was sure I saw tears streaming down his face. He was like this for several minutes before he rubbed at his eye with the back of his wrist.

I sat up slightly, not enough to cause him to fall off of his position on my stomach, but so that I could see him easier. Whatever was going on with this guy, it wasn’t normal. He definitely hated me, but I could tell now that there was a reason. A good reason, I assumed.

A wave of regret engulfed me for what I had done earlier. If I knew something was this wrong, I wouldn’t have joked around with him like that. I said the only thing that came to my mind and I looked at him with my eyebrows furrowed in concern.

“Are…you okay?”

Apparently that wasn’t a great thing to say, because he suddenly stood up (surprisingly) and began yelling at me with pure rage.

“You! You monsters ruined my life! You killed my mother! Everyone I knew! You almost killed me and my sister, too! All of the people you killed! You treated them like insects, because that’s what we are, right?! We’re just the insignificant bugs that you think you can just play with! We’re not people to you! Why do you even pretend to care, you disgusting creature!?”

My face went white from the surprise of hearing him do this. I was sure my head sunk into my shoulders to be noticeable even for him. My mouth was slightly hanging open as my jaw dropped in shock.

“I…”

“No, stop! Just stop! If you’re going to crush me, pull my limbs off, eat me, whatever sick things you do, just do it now! Get it over with!”

“…I do think of you as a person.”

“What? No you don’t.”

I felt a tear well up in my eye.

“Yes I do. I’ve always thought of humans as people. I’m terribly sorry for what happened to you, and I wish there was something I could say or do, but…”

He looked down without reply, so I continued.

“I would never even think of hurting someone, including humans. Our races used to be allies!”

 “You really think of me as a person?” He shifted anxiously and I could hear nervousness in his voice.

“Yes. But in return, I want the same from you. I’m not a monster. I’m a person too, just a bit taller.  Can you do that for me?”

Several moments of tense silence went by; I began to wonder if he would decline.

“I…I can try.”

I smiled and carefully moved a finger near him in an offer to shake. He reluctantly gave me a nervous look in return and took the tip of my finger in his hand.

"I won't let you down, I promise." I whispered.

"Can you put me down now?"

"Do you really want to sleep on the cold floor?"

"No, but-"

"You can sleep right there if you'd like."

He looked around at the island of my body.

"What if you turn over and squash me?" He asked shakily as he lay down on my stomach.

"I won't. I'll make sure of it."

With that, he curled up on me and fell asleep. He looked adorable; I couldn't help but smile at his form for a few moments before I leaned back and contemplated sleep of my own. I didn't know what tomorrow had in store, but I was sure it wasn't going to be anything easy.