- Text Size +

Chet went with Ali and the paramedics to the hospital and I followed close behind in my pickup. I felt responsible. If I had just been on time that morning or hell, even if I had just remembered to bring a couple bottles of water with me none of this would have ever happened. Chet's farm was only about twenty minutes outside the city making the closest hospital about twenty-five to thirty minutes away, and that’s if you're going the speed limit, which we weren’t. We arrived in record time and Ali was rushed in. I parked my truck, paid an obscene amount of money for a parking pass, and went in to find Ali and Chet. It took me almost an hour to have fifteen conversations with fifteen different nurses until I found them. Chet was sitting in a waiting room looking nervous and scared, not that I blame him. Ali was his only daughter. It had been just her and him ever since his wife passed when Ali was only five years old. I had a seat next to him and tried to come up with something to say, but thankfully I was spared when I saw the doctor approach.

 

“Mister Clarke?” he asked.

 

Chet nodded.

 

I'm Doctor Bob Reynolds. I'm the resident on call. I just want to tell you that your daughter is going to be fine. She suffered a minor concussion and we had to stitch up her head wound but other than that she seems perfectly healthy. Whatever that stuff was that she fell in seemed to have broken her fall.”

 

Chet's eyes flashed.

 

“We're going to run some more tests and keep her here overnight for observation, but I don't foresee any reason why she can't go home tomorrow.”

 

Chet and I both breathed a sigh of relief.

 

“Can I see her, Doc?” Chet asked.

 

“For a little while Mr. Clarke, but she needs her rest.” Dr. Reynolds replied.

 

He walked past us to the nurses' station handing what I assumed was Ali's chart to one of the nurses and giving her some instructions. I was about to take off when out of nowhere Chet's burly arms wrapped around me and I pulled me into a bear hug.

 

“Thank you,” he said, squeezing tighter. “You saved her. You saved my daughter's life. I owe you. Anything. Just name it.”

 

Flashes of guilt went through my mind. If it weren't for me, Ali's life wouldn't have needed saving in the first place. He released me, keeping his hands on my shoulders. I started to object but Chet cut me off.

 

“You lost your place right?”

 

I nodded.

 

“Well, you can stay with us!” he exclaimed with a toothy grin. “It wouldn't be any trouble and we have the extra space. Come on, what do you say? I won't take no for an answer.”

 

I started to argue but I got the feeling that refusing his offer would be an insult.

 

“Fine,” I said reluctantly. “Just until I get on my feet. I don't wanna be any trouble.”

 

Chet slapped me once on the shoulder, adding pain to the list of uneasy feelings I was experiencing.

 

“Good man. Now come on, lets go see Ali.”

 

We headed down to room 104, where a nurse had told us Ali would be. I opened the door for Chet and followed him in to see for myself the damage I had caused. The room was your standard hospital room. This one was built for two but Ali was it's only occupant. She sat with the bed elevated to the sitting position, her ruby hair only partially covering the large bandage across her forehead, but even that couldn't take away her beauty. Her eyes opened slightly as she heard us approach.

 

“How you feelin' sweetheart?” Chet asked as he took her hand in his.

 

“Like I just fell through a roof.” Ali replied weakly, but with a touch of sarcasm.

 

Chet smiled. So did I, only mine was laced with guilt.

 

“I hear I have you to thank for saving my life, Jack.”

 

“Yeah, I guess you do,” I replied nervously, rubbing the back of my neck.

 

They were treating me like a hero. I didn't feel like one.

 

“Jack's gonna be stayin' with us. I figure he can have the guest room upstairs,” Chet said, breaking the silence. He gave Ali's hand an affectionate squeeze. “Least I can do after whatcha did for me and mine.”

 

“Daddy, can I talk to Jack alone for a second?” Ali asked, letting go of his hand.

 

Chet looked at me, then Ali.

 

“Uh, sure, I have to go make a phone call anyway. Jack, just come and get me when you're done.” He turned and left closing the door behind him.

 

“It's not your fault you know,” she said as soon as the door shut. “I can see it in your eyes. You look like you killed the neighbors cat.”

 

“Ali I-”

 

“You what? Should have psychically guessed that I was going to come see you on the roof? You're not Superman Jack, but you are a hero.” She took my hand in hers. “You're my hero.”

 

I looked at her, and her eyes met mine. It took me a minute to realize that we were both just staring at each other again, but this time I broke the silence.

 

“You need to get some rest,” I said, sliding my hand from her grasp.

 

“Yeah, I suppose I do,” she said with a sigh. “Guess I'll be seeing you a lot more now that we're gonna be roommates.”

 

“Yeah,” I said, “I suppose you will.” Ali laid her head back and shut her eyes. I turned to go. I was almost out the door when Ali called after me.

 

“Jack.”

 

I turned to her. “Yeah?”

 

“Thank you. I owe you my life. I don't know if I'll ever be able to repay you, but I will try.”

 

I smiled. “You can start by getting some rest. I'll see you when you get home tomorrow.”

 

And with that I left, closing the door softly behind me.

 

As I exited the room I could hear Chet talking in a muffled frustrated tone. On further inspection I saw that he was on his cell phone. He was huddled in a dark corner of the hallway, finger in his ear. The only words I was able to make out were “...my daughter damn it!” before he hung up the phone with a snap. He noticed me and came toward me in a slow trot. In the short time it took to reach me the expression of anger on his face had faded to one of gratitude.

 

“Hey boy, why don't you take the rest of the day and tomorrow off. I recon you'll need some time to move in,” he said with a smile.

 

This was all happening so fast. This morning I was kicked out of my apartment and was planning to spend the next week or two living out of my car until I found something cheaper. Now a new place literally falls into my lap and my boss is giving me days off so I can move in. Man, I should be late more often.

 

“Yeah, sure Chet, that would be great but I don't think I’ll even need a full day to move in. I mean, I only have a have a handful of things,” I said, still a little reluctant.

 

He winked at me. “Better safe than sorry.” He gave me one of his patented shoulder slaps that always threatened to send me to the ground, and headed into Ali's room. I smiled and shook my head. Is living with your boss really the smartest thing? But then again, it's not like I was swimming in options. With a halfhearted sigh I exited the hospital and headed toward my car.