- Text Size +
Story Notes:
1HS
Tap.

Tap.

Tap.

A pencil's eraser bounced off a small notepad slowly, but rhythmically. A woman, deep in thought, held the opposite end in her lips between taps, concentrating.

The room was dark. Night had fallen over the rest of the city, and only a small, dimming lamp helped to illuminate the room at all.

The notepad the woman held was blank, but still she stared at it, deep in thought. The quickly moistening eraser leaving small spots on the page.

Noticing this, the woman seemed to snap out of a trance, and tore the blank page out of the notepad, tossing it behind her. The small mountain of crumpled paper blasted apart with its newest addition, sending a small page into the woman's toes.

Looking down, she kicked the page aside, annoyed. The page was empty, like all the others had been, and that was the problem.

The woman was starved mentally. Not in terms of ideas, no. She'd reached out to members of her community, and received many an idea on worlds to try and make real. Characters to create, settings to establish, and so many interesting plot lines they made her head spin.

She was still missing something though. The final piece of the puzzle. Without it, the rest was useless.

Inspiration. A muse. Something to stimulate her intellectually, and make her want to do all the things she felt she should want, but didn't.

"HEY!" A small voice called to the woman.

Ice ran through her veins at the voice, and she flipped her pencil around, hoping the sharpened tip would be a good enough weapon to save her from danger.

"Whoa! Whoa! Calm down there! Nothing to worry about, it's just me!" The voice returned cheerfully.

Standing, the woman clutched her pencil firmly, and walked around her room. The dimming light from her lamp may have provided her a bit of light, but it still left many dark spots for someone to be hiding.

"Ugh." The voice sighed in annoyance. "You can't see me. At least, not right now. I'm in your head, you know."

The woman dropped her pencil, frightened. Was she losing her mind? Maybe she should jam the pencil in her throat, and end herself now, before she was so lost that she did something she'd regret.

"WHOA! DON'T DO THAT!" The voice shouted. "LOOK, HERE, I'LL SHOW YOU!"

With a small pop, a small version of the woman appeared under the dim lamp.

"There, see me now? It's all good, right?" She asked cautiously.

Unsure, the woman approached the lamp, and lowered herself until her face was level with the smaller woman, and nearly fainted. The smaller woman was very much like herself, brought down to about six inches in size. Even the yellow pajamas covered with cartoon images of bumblebees were replicated on a vastly smaller scale, looking like black dots.

"Done getting an eyeful? Good, now that we're on even ground. I suppose it's time to explain a few things. I'll be brief, as I've only got about an hour." The small woman began. "I, am what is commonly referred to as a, 'Muse', or, to make an extremely long and uninteresting story short, I am the embodiment of your artistic inspiration. You following me so far?"

The bewildered woman nodded her head slowly, and considered going back for her pencil briefly.

"Now, I've been watching us for awhile, and it seems to me like you've lost a lot of your inspiration, over the years. You've procrastinated, and written less and less. Because of this, you now find it more and more difficult to get anything done. Any of this ringin' a bell?"

A slow nod confirmed everything, and the muse continued.

"So, of course, we gradually grew apart, until just now, when we separated. In order for this to work, we've gotta get back together, and hopefully not let something like this happen again. Got it?"

The woman responded with a deep, confused, silence.

"Now, let's get you goin' again!" Her muse announced happily.

With a small series of pops, two to three even tinier people appeared on the lamp's desk. The muse smiled down at them, lifting one of her bare feet over the absolutely minuscule people.

The woman watched intently. The smaller version of herself chased one of the fleeing people carefully with one foot, before bringing it down slowly. Her muse's foot completely covered the person, and she felt a part of her brain come alive at what she saw.

As if reacting to it, her worried face softened, and her lips parted, the ends of them turning up slightly in anticipation.

Knowing full well she had her every attention, the muse rolled the helpless individual under her foot, grasping and poking her with her enormous toes, and enjoying the futile efforts of escape from her victim.

"Mmm. It does feel nice." The woman's muse said slowly, glad that she was being examined so intently, and not being ignored. It could only mean good things for their future together, after all.

Lost in her own train of thought, the muse hadn't noticed her foot was now flat to the ground, and watched her toes splay, while the life of her minuscule victim squelched up from her toes.

The other minuscule people running around the desk soon met the same fate. Their bodies squelched nicely beneath her foots comparatively massive size, and she enjoyed very instance of it.

She wasn't the only one though, as her larger self's eyes seemed to bore into her, watching every muscle in her feet flex while they pulped more and more people. Her larger self was completely captivated by what she saw, and it warmed her heart to do so.

"I might've spent too much time on those individual losers." The muse told the woman, he perked up at her callous disregard for those smaller than herself. "But, I suppose there's nothing that can be done about it, since there's still one thing I've got to do before time runs out." She added.

A large pop, and an entire, tiny city appeared on the desk. The muse found it difficult to contain her own joy, and the muted expression of the woman only added to it.

A dull roar, quiet to the muse, and almost imperceptible for the woman, rose from the city.

Beads of sweat formed on the woman's brow, and she was focused completely on the scene before her. A woman who looked just like herself, towering what would comparatively be thousands of feet into the sky. Yet, as huge as her muse was to the near microscopic people beneath her, she herself was infinitely bigger. While her muse's feet could undoubtedly bring down any building that stood in her mouth, her toes being larger than individual vehicles, her own feet would be positively monolithic in comparison.

The thought made her toes curl and uncurl in excitement.

Her muse had started working on the city, in the meantime. Countless people, vehicles, and smaller buildings found their existences cut short as her prodigious feet stepped, stomped, and slid their way around. The crunches of people, pops of vehicles, and crumbling of buildings were each unique, and contributed to an overall warming feeling in her body.

Stumbling forward, drunk off the pleasure, she found her hips smash into the tallest building of the city. Anyone on those top levels found themselves meeting her giant pajama covered rear end as several floors were completely shaved off the top.

Not expecting to meet any resistance though, the building threw the muse off balance, and she fell, her rear landing on top of the building like it were a chair.

Of course, no individual floor was built to take such stress, and each lasted less than a second, as she smashed entire floors of panicking individuals flat, before their floor collapsed and the one beneath met the same fate.

It took only a second, but it felt like an endless nightmare to everyone trapped inside, as they watched the giantess fall, bum first, through each floor, and settle onto street level. Even their mightiest building had done little to ease her momentum though, and she hit the ground with a meteoric impact, the displaced air blowing people around for hundreds of feet, as many buildings collapsed from the shock wave.

While it was an accident, things had turned out beautifully, and she eagerly turned to see how well her mishap would be received.

The woman wasn't watching intently from her previous spot anymore.

Dejected, the muse looked at all the small people fleeing her, and muttered a silent apology. She'd brought them here for nothing, time was about to run out and it looked like she was going to be separated from the woman permanently.

In her unhappiness, she simply waited until she, and the city, vanished forever. The dim light disappeared, and a hot gust of wind blew over her.

Was this what it felt like to go away forever? She briefly thought.

Looking up, her feelings of sadness melted, and she almost felt her heart explode with excitement, watching two huge lips and a toothy grin approach her from above.

The woman couldn't take it anymore. She had to indulge herself on the scrumptious scene before her. Opening her mouth wide, a yawning chasm overtook much of the city before her, and her tongue, an enormous wall of muscle descended to the cityscape with impish impunity.

The outer edges of the city crumbled into moist debris from her tongue, while strings of saliva rained from mouth onto other parts of the city in her reach.

The muse watched with excitement, as a tongue almost half as long as herself tore through the city, and once she was within range, she jumped into the open mouth, filling it completely.

The woman kept rolling her tongue over the city, enjoying the texture of a civilization's final moments, before tilting her head up. Her muse took over most of the space in her mouth, but she enjoyed the feeling immensely, knowing it was a live being she held.

It would've been enough to choke most people, but her muse made sure to do her part, making the transition down the back of her throat as easy as possible. Moist debris, and pulped humanity rained into the woman's stomach, completely trapped without a way out.

The woman and her muse were one, and she couldn't have been happier about it.

At that moment, dim light on her lamp went out, but the room wasn't completely dark.

The moon shined unusually brightly in the sky overhead, illuminating the room more brightly than her dim lamp did.

Standing, the woman enjoyed the natural light before she walked back to her dropped pencil, and picked it up.

The tip was still completely sharp, but she knew she'd wear it down soon enough.

On her way back to the chair she did her writing in, she saw all the crumpled up pieces of paper, and slowly stepped on one, imagining it to be a great mountain range she was crushing beneath her sensitive soles.

It sent shivers up her spine, and she sat to write, more inspired than she'd felt in ages.