- Text Size +

Percy tied a circle of rope around his chest, and then knotted the laces of his sandshoes around the rope. He had stopped rowing, having estimated them to be a little more than half a mile from the island.

"I changed my mind," he said, "I would feel more comfortable having them there. I can look down and see that my footwear hasn't gone for a walk, or a swim all by itself."

Donna did the same, and they put on their flippers, and their breathing tanks and oxygen masks; and then it was time to get wet.

They entered the water quietly, and Percy reached into the boat for the oars, and the rest of the rope, and tied the oars securely to the boat. He had brought so much rope with him, that he was able to construct something akin to a spiderweb of rope, which allowed no possible chance of the oars escaping and floating around on the surface later. He placed a timed charge under the boat, and they swam away from it.

Then they witnessed a small explosion.

"It didn't even sound that loud or look that dramatic to us from this distance," said Donna, "There's no way that they'd have heard or seen it on the island."

"Which leaves us without a rowboat," said Percy with a smile.

"Oh my love, Percival, if this is how it is to end-"

"Let us face it with a smile."

"Just one kiss before we go. I'll have to hang on to my mask with one hand."

"Donna, we could have done that in the boat before we blew it up, don't you - mmm."

She had pulled his oxygen mask off.

"Just don't do it while we're down there. I don't want a kiss full of salt water."

They put on their masks again, and swam.

They surfaced periodically to check their direction, and to see how far they were from the island. When they were within a few metres of the island, they swam around, so that they would be able to climb out of the water with the cover of a group of trees. 

Percy took off his mask, and reached for Donna's, to do the same.

"Before we swim right in," he said, take your tank off, and your flippers, and the rope with the sandshoes. The idea is to tie the flippers to the tank, drop it to the bottom, and swim into shore with sandshoes in hands."

Donna did so, and Percy also followed his own instructions. They stepped out of the water, onto some rocks, and stopped behind the trees. Looking through them, they could see an area of boulders and rocks, which extended to the side of the main rock face, with the smiling lip on the right. There would be caves inside, and in one of them, the Secret of Smiling Island. Percy would probably use that later, but they had to find Ingrid first.

"Donna, how are you making out?"

"It was a long swim, but I'll cope."

"Come and look around this tree."

Donna stared at the rocks and the mountainous structure fifty metres ahead.

"Donna, think of that mountain as a head with a mouth. They can only see out of the opening above the lower lip, and out the back of the head. We're going to traverse those rocks, and then climb up the right hand side of the head,  until we can find a way to get inside without calling too much attention to ourselves."

The resourceful pair of adventurous lovers made their way across the rocks, taking the time to be sure that their feet did not make enough noise to give them away. The wetsuits were hardly the most comfortable items of clothing, but each of them knew that there was no alternative. They would be of no use to Ingrid , if she was told that they were dead in the ocean, because they had brought either the yacht or the rowboat right in close to the island and given themselves away.

They came to the mountain and began to climb, which was far from difficult, because of the many footholes, ledges, and the gradient of the mountain. There were strong winds blowing, and Donna felt extremely fortunate that her hair was still wet, because it would hang down behind her head, rather than blowing into her face. When they were a little over half way up the mountainside, Percy decided that they could do no worse than to go right to the top,  because they had not found any cave entrances to the mountain. 

When they arrived at the top, they had the liberty of turning in any direction and looking all over the island. The pair chose to take advantage of this privelege, and were afforded two pleasant surprises, which they would be able to use in different stages in the execution of Percy's plans to find and rescue Ingrid Castlecove. 

The first was  a cave entrance halfway down the opposite side of the mountain to the one that they had just ascended. 

The second was a helicopter on a narrow area of ground, which was separated from the edge of the island by a group of trees.

"I would never have seen that little craft from the place where we blew up and sunk the remains of our rowboat," said Donna.

"That need that to get off this island," said Percy, "and so do we."

Percy had been expecting some means of transportation to be provided by the naughty ones, but a helicopter was more than he would have needed. He knew enough about helicopters to fly them safely, and they would certainly be more useful than boats. Percy would take their machine from them and fly it far away, with himself and the girls inside it. If he never had the chance to return it to them, it would not concern him at all. If the kidnappers had chosen to avoid trouble, then they would have done so by not kidnapping Ingrid Castlecove... or anyone else.

This was an occasion when Percy Dale had made up his mind not to concern himself with any loose ends. If he did not manage to capture the naughty ones, then they would escape. His foremost concern was Ingrid. She had ruthlessly given him the greatest thrills of his life. He felt the strangest of all debts to her, but she was married, and he had Donna to think of. Yet he was fast realizing that staying with his second choice was not fair to her at all. As soon as the naughty ones had been dealt with, he would have to break up with her as gently as he could. There were two things that would make it just a little easier than it otherwise would. The first was that Donna had initiated their relationship by saying that she was used to changing boyfriends in her lifestyle and was not looking for anything permanent. The other was the fact that Ingrid was married now, he had finally learned, and Donna would not have to watch Percy dating her instead of Donna.

Donna had been a resourceful girl, and had managed to remain level-headed and collected so far. However, Percy knew that saving Ingrid from her abductors would not be the end of the story. There would be a few emotional scenes to be played out before the curtain fell over the Smiling Island stage for the very last time. 

Percy climbed down the mountain, rationally performing all of the mental gymnastics as he did so.  Percy rested just above the cave entrance, with Donna a little to his left. He leant back against the rock and listened. 

Not a sound.

He thought of the visual image of a giant lower lip forming Smiling Island’s structure. How ironically apt it was that he was climbing into such an island to rescue the woman whose lip he had once lain on and whose mouth he had once been pushed into … and swallowed. He could never tell Donna that. He had performed most of his Sneaky Spy activity without using the shrinking and teleportation machine. Though it would have kept him safe with its homing recall signal ring, its effect on his size made it almost impossible to defeat full sized opponents. It had occasionally been useful for stealth operations to learn locations and so on … an idea he had taken from the dream of the time he had hidden in adult teacher Jenny Winters’ handbag. Donna and Canton knew nothing of the machine.

He lowered his feet to the bottom of the entrance hole, and brought himself down into a squatting position. It was more of a narrow passage than a cave. Percy and Donna would be able to crawl along the passage, until they came to a cave, and then look for Ingrid. He helped Donna down to the hole, and then crouched down and led the way in. 

They spent two minutes crawling along the passage, finding their way purely by feeling which ways they could not go, and heading in the only other direction. They emerged from the passage into a large area, but there were no lights, not even a lamp. Percy had no doubt that the naughty ones would have a few kerosene lamps around somewhere. 

Within the mountain of Smiling Island, it was absolutely imperative that one be equipped with some sort of light. Percy stared across the large area. The one visible sight was that of the opening in the mountain; the large lower lip.

"I know we're in the main cave now," he whispered to Donna, "If I can get over to that lower lip, I can look out and see the scenes. It's better than nothing at all until we think of a better - blast!"

Percy's foot had found one of the kerosene lamps.

"Quick, Donna. Feel about for the passage, and hide. I don't know where I'll go, but the noise I made is bound to bring somebody in here soon."

There was no more time for anything else to happen, because Percy had no sooner given his instruction to hide, when he heard a click, and found himself staring into a flashlight held by a dark haired man on a sleeping bag on the floor. Percy looked into the other hand, and saw that the man had been wise enough to feel for his gun before turning his flashlight on.

"Hands up, Mister... Come over here, with yours up girlie, and stand next to your friend."

Dark Hair had soon awoken the other four of the island's present population of naughty ones, and Percy and Donna were soon bound tight. 

They fell asleep until midday.

When they were awoken, Percy noticed that both of his knives had been found and taken away from him during a search conducted by the naughty ones, while he and Donna had been unconscious. He did not feel as though he had been drugged. It was because he had been tired, that he had fallen asleep after they had tied him up.

He looked around the room and noticed a small dinner table, which had failed to catch his attention on the heat of the moment when the lights had been turned on him early that morning.

"You two may as well dine with me," said one of the men, who was presumed by Percy to be the leader, "and we'll find out who your relatives are, and how much they'll pay to get you both back alive."

"It's a bit hard to eat lunch like -"

"I know. I'll untie you now, but don't try anything adventurous. If I give the word, my men will come running in here with guns in their hands, and you two will be taken off my ransom list. I'm only feeding you because you're no use to us dead."

The three of them sat down to some plates of ham and lettuce, and the leader introduced himself to be Andrew Sterling.