- Text Size +
No one knew how this had happened. No one knew why. There were various theories, like solar flares, planetary alignment, that whole Mayan calendar thing, but no one had a good, solid answer. And until they did, all they could do was hope that she didn't come across them.
 It had started out like any other morning. She woke up, stripped down, and stepped in the shower. She sighed as the water fell in cascades over her brown hair. Amelia wasn't exactly popular, or a social butterfly, or very beautiful...and she knew it. In fact, sometimes she thought so lowly of herself that she would lock herself away from the world for hours, and no one noticed. She turned off the water and toweled herself dry, putting on a fresh pair of light blue panties  and a bra to match, and walking back to her room. She slipped on her loose jeans and a baggy brown sweater over a T-shirt, pushing her thickly framed black glasses up further on her nose in front of her brown eyes. Amelia pulled her hair up into a ponytail, letting her hair fall between her shoulder blades, the same as every morning. She glanced at the pile of makeup her mother bought for her.
    "Amelia, you'd be so pretty. All you need is the tiniest bit of this and you'd look like a model!" her mother had told her.
    "Like that would ever happen..." Amelia thought bitterly to herself. After she had been given the cosmetics, Amelia hadn't touched them once. "What's the point? I'd still be ugly, even if I poured all of it on my face." Amelia slipped on her favorite shoes , grabbed her bag, and headed to school. She walked   carelessly through the intersection, half-heartedly hoping that someone wouldn't see her and run her over by accident.
  "Hey, Amelia." a sickly sweet yet cruel girl's voice rang.
  "Oh god, no." Amelia muttered as she was joined by Trisha, one of those blonde haired, blue eyed girls, captain of the high school cheer squad, the girl that all the guys wanted a piece of. "What do you want, Trisha?"
 "Oh, nothing really. I just wanted to see if it was true that you were actually a she-male. Are you hiding your dick in those pants?!" Trisha laughed, her eyes flickering with cruel delight. Amelia's face immediately burned as she turned beet red. Trisha shoved Amelia over, sending her flying off the curb and into the street. "Come on guys, let's go." Trisha motioned to her two friends. They began to walk towards the school, giggling and whispering about what a freak Amelia was, occasionally stealing a glance back at her lying in the street, beaten and bruised. Amelia frowned at them and held her knee.
  "Ow...god!" Amelia lifted her hand. Her jeans were becoming stained by blood. She wiped some dirt off of her face and slowly got up, continuing to school. This occurrence wasn't out of the ordinary. Amelia maintained a straight face as she walked to her locker. There wasn't anything to smile about. She flipped through a worn book that she pulled from the back of her locker. She ran her hand over one particular line of text. She didn't understand what it meant, but she felt drawn to it for some reason. She slammed the book shut, grabbed her things, and walked into her first hour class. She sat down and heard snickering from across the room. It was Trisha and her friends again. Amelia rolled her eyes and exhaled sharply, trying to not let them get to her. She tapped her pencil against her face a few times and began to scribble while the teacher was talking. She started to draw a symbol that she'd never seen before. She drew it again and again, almost compulsively, as if her hand had a mind of its own. Then it happened. Amelia began to grow, at a rapid pace. First ten feet, then twenty, then fifty. By now students and teachers were all scrambling over each other in a struggle to evacuate the building, unsure of how tall Amelia would be. She kept growing. One hundred, One fifty, Two hundred. Her growth continued. Soon she was so big the school building couldn't contain her. She stood in the middle of the streets, people everywhere running for their lives, cars just randomly being abandoned in fear. Her growth still didn't stop. It finally screeched to an abrupt halt when she reached what she would estimate to be two thousand feet. She stood there, her mouth hanging open in utter bewilderment. She noticed a crowd of what she presumed to be people slowly retreating. She knew one thing. She knew that they were all students and staff from her school, and she knew that Trisha would most likely be in that crowd. "Stop!" she commanded, nearly shattering their eardrums. "Don't move." Amelia went to a place away from the crowd of students and teachers and planted her sneakered foot down, leaving nothing but a shoe shaped crater and red, bloody pulp. "From now on, I rule. I am Goddess of this world, and no one can stop me!" She turned back to the crowd. "Bring me Trisha."