- Text Size +

  I opened my office door, and to my surprise, I didn't find my office behind it. It had become Cory's office. My things had been moved out, and Cory's desk and things had taken their place. Cory greeted me with a sheepish grin.

  "Hello, Will."
  I stepped inside. "What is this?"
  "Oh, um... Linda... gave me your office... yeah, she was a bit upset at you... at the way you... the other day..."

  He looked like he was waiting for a reaction, and seemed surprised when I showed none. Now he had a look of pain on his face.

  "Will, that was really cool... how you stood up to her..."

  I closed the door behind me, and took a seat across from Cory.

  "Cory, I want to talk to you about something."

  I wanted to help him. But I knew that only he could free himself. All I could do was to give him a push in the right direction.

  "Cory, I'm going to quit. I've come to realize this is an unhealthy environment. I know you might think that this - Linda giving you my office - feels like you're moving up, but you're not. You're being manipulated. You're trading your independence for security. Cory, do you even like your job here?"

  He was silent. I tried my best to get through to him. I didn't want him to think I knew he was sleeping with Linda, because he might have thought I was angry about their affair, and miss the point. I told him he had to get out of here and find another job. Anything was better than this. He was slowly being broken here. There was so much I had been through this month, so much I had learned through experience, that I didn't know if I could convey it all to him. I told him he had to get away from Linda. I told him it was natural to look to someone with power for security. Someone with power can be a friend, a protector, a mentor. But that's not who Linda was. In the end, I hoped Cory would stand up for himself, but I knew it was a choice he would have to make for himself.

  Before I left, I told him not to make the same mistakes I did.

***

  I opened the door, and saw Linda, sitting at her desk, looking as if she had expected me.

  "Hello, Will. Please, have a seat."

  "I suppose you know this is it for us, Linda."
  She smiled.
  "I'm done with this job... and our marriage. I don't want to be a part of this anymore. I can no longer give you what you want from me."

  She seemed to think for a moment, then said calmly, "I agree."

  "I've seen the way you act around Cory. And I can guess what's been going on with you two. I know you don't love me anymore, if you ever did."

  "You've finally figured it out Will. It's not love that I'm after. What I'm after is much more rewarding."

  I thought she didn't frighten me anymore, but the look she gave me proved me wrong.

  "A relationship like ours can only work as long as one of us is unaware or in denial of its nature. But Cory... Cory is a mouse. Life is terrifying to him. He's intimidated by his freedom, and the responsibility that comes with it. He's looking for someone to hold his leash. And I'm that someone. It's a win-win situation. I'm sure you've already talked to him, tried to persuade him to fight it. But it's nothing I can't undo with a little persuasion."

  "You're wrong."

  "You don't know him as well as I do. Goodbye, Will."

***

  My computer, my printer, my desk lamp, my pens, my calendar, and all my other things - all the evidence of my continued presence in this building - were lying in a pile in the hallway. Searching a supply room, I was able to find a large cardboard box. I carefully arranged my things inside, and using a hand truck, brought the box into the elevator. When I got to the car, I had some difficulty lifting it, and found that I had to leave my trunk open to fit the box inside.

  When I got home, I tried lifting it again, to no avail. I decided to just leave it there for now. It was too heavy, and I didn't want to strain my back. Instead, I went inside and sat down to have a cup of coffee and think. Linda's frankness had surprised me, but I was glad she was finally out of my life. Though a few things still troubled me, I felt free, and more relaxed than I had in ages. Soon Annie came home, and greeted me as she walked past. Then I had an idea.

  "Annie, wait!"

  She paused, raising her eyebrows.

  "Could you help me with something?"

  She followed me outside to my car. I pointed out the box to her. She smiled knowingly, and the box began to shrink.

  "Thanks, Annie."

***

  That night after dinner, Annie called me into her room.

  "There's something I want to show you."

  Spread out on her desk was a collection of pencil sketches, depicting superheroes and heroines. Some were characters I recognized from the anime shows she watched, but some appeared to be original creations.

  "Annie, these are fantastic!"
  "You really like them, Will?"
  "Yes! Annie, why didn't you tell me you were a talented artist?"
  She blushed.
  "Well, I just get nervous, that's all. I get worried that people won't like my art."
  "Annie," I laughed. "You told me about your powers, but you were afraid to share your drawings with me?"

  She made a perplexed expression, then broke into laughter.

  "I guess that is kind of funny..."

  The end of the month was fast approaching. Soon I would say goodbye to Annie. I was already happy at how much my life had changed since I had met her. Little did I know, my chance encounter with a girl who could shrink things would still have a few unexpected consequences.