- Text Size +

  "Annie!"

  To my great relief, it was indeed Annie standing in the office doorway. Carefully, she knelt down and picked me up, growing me a little to make it easier to get a hold of me. Her protective hand still clutching me, I was promptly inserted into her hoodie pocket. We began to move. I was pretty sure Annie was skipping school, but I wasn't concerned with that at this point. I was just glad to be reunited with Annie, and exiting the office at last. We made it safely outside to Liz's car, where Annie pulled me out to inspect me.

  "Buckle up, Annie," said Liz. "We have to hurry. Lunch hour is almost over!"

  I looked up at her eyes, full of relief and concern. They seemed to be scanning me for any scratch or sign of harm. Thankfully, I was indeed unhurt, and in safe hands at last. We arrived back at the apartment, and Annie carried me inside, and grew me back to my normal height. She started to walk outside. She looked back, then ran over and gave me a hug.

  "I'm glad you're okay, Will."
  "I'm glad I'm okay too, Annie. You better get going now. I'll see you tonight, okay?"

***

  I was glad I had made it out in one piece. I sat in the chair in the living room. Even though I had been here for less than a month, it was starting to feel more like home. I spent the day trying to collect myself. Even though it was foolish, I felt my plan had paid off. I knew now that my wife had been unfaithful to me, and that whatever she felt for me, it wasn't love. It hurt to find all this out, but at least now I could move on.

  Suddenly, Annie came in, a distraught look on her face. She walked up to me, and I began to shrink. Uh oh. I was in trouble now. Soon I was only inches tall. Her hands reached out to me, and cradled me as they lifted me up. She held me firmly to her chest, and began to walk. What was she doing? I saw that we had entered her room, and her chest bounced as she sat down on the bed. She continued to hold me against her body for about a minute, then pulled her hands away so she could see me. I looked up and saw that she was crying.

  "Oh, Will..." she started.
  "I'm so glad you're all right."

  She sniffed and blinked, and a tear ran down her cheek.

  "Did she... hurt you, Will? Did your wife hurt you?"
  "No, Annie, she didn't."
  "Your wife is a mean lady, isn't she? She's done bad things to you, hasn't she?"

  I didn't know if Annie would understand what was going on between me and my wife, but she was a bright girl, and knew something wasn't right.

  "That's right, Annie. She hasn't treated me very well."
  "Will, I wish I could protect you forever."

  She bit her lip.

  "Will... I want to tell you something. Do you remember that night... when you asked me how I discovered my powers?"

  I nodded.

  "I'm going to tell you that story now... It was in elementary school. I used to go to a school down the street from my old house. There was this bully... She used to torment me. She called me names, she took my lunch money, and said if I told anyone she would beat me up. She was so mean to me and the other kids. She would get put in time out, but... the teacher didn't really understand her. This girl... more than anything, she knew how to mess with your head.
  One day, I was walking home from school, and she followed me... I started to run, but she caught up with me. She grabbed my backpack, and pulled it, and I fell over... I got a bruise on my face... I looked up, and saw that she was laughing at me. I didn't feel fear anymore, instead I felt... anger. I stood up, and stared at her, and I just wished that she would shrink. Then she would know what it felt like to be helpless. Then... she shrank... I couldn't believe it. I walked over to her... She looked terrified. She thought I was going to crush her under my shoe. And Will, the scary part is... I wanted to. This was my chance to get back at her for all of that... torment. But when I saw that face, that terrified face, I realized I had become the bully... I was a monster to her. I panicked and tried to help her. I reached out and picked her up, and she kept screaming. I didn't know how to unshrink her. I put her back down, and somehow, just wished she would grow. Finally, it worked, and she ran away. She stopped going to our school. I always wondered what happened to her... I wondered if she went crazy, and I always felt guilty."

  She paused. I was thinking that this was probably the first time she told this story.

  "After that, I learned to control my powers. I decided I would never use them to hurt anybody... That's why I was so worried about you, and I had to come back for you. I never wanted anyone to get hurt because of me, or my powers."

  I looked up at what was undoubtedly the gentlest creature I had ever met. She looked back at me with quivering pupils.

  "Annie, I'm sorry I put you through that, but I'm okay now. I'm safe, thanks to you."

  She smiled. It was a great relief to see that smile again.

  "Annie, could you unshrink me now?"

  She laughed. "Right. Sorry."

***

  After all the excitement, we had both worked up an appetite, so I decided to take Annie out to the fajita restaurant. This had definitely cheered Annie up a bit. We talked and laughed and ate Mexican food. I was glad to be having fun again. Meanwhile, though, I was thinking about the story Annie had told me, and how much we seemed to have in common. We had both faced down our bullies. It had been difficult for both of us, but I was sure in the end it was a positive turning point for Annie, and I hoped it would be for me as well.