- Text Size +

  My wife entered the apartment, carrying her purse by her side. The purse contained her personal effects, among which were her wallet, make-up, and, unbeknownst to her, her shrunken husband. I was still peeking out of the purse pocket as we crossed the threshold to our home. I should have found the sight of our apartment familiar and comforting, but I didn't. I could imagine it being the setting of a surreal nightmare where I suddenly shrank, and found myself fleeing the deadly shadows of my wife's feet. As frightened as I was, I tried to remain focused and alert -- I was on a mission.

  My wife's heels clicked on the hardwood floor in calm, stately steps as she marched into the bedroom. She slung the purse off her shoulder and dropped it on the bed. I tumbled roughly out onto the bedspread, and regained my composure in time to watch my wife and boss strut her way out the door and into the hallway.

  Crap. I had to keep an eye on the two of them. How was I going to do that from here? I pondered my course of action. They might come back into the bedroom... or not. But if I get too far away from the purse, I might not be able to hitch a ride back to the office. I decided to take a chance.

  Not wasting any time, I started towards the head of the bed. I moved quickly, while trying to conserve my energy. I approached the bedside table. If I could get over there, I could slide down the lamp cord, but alas, the table was too far away. I peered over the edge of the bed.

  The bedroom floor below, like that of my wife's office, was kept spotless. My eyes searched for a way down to the floor. I could hear Linda talking down the hall, but I couldn't make out the words over the pounding in my ears. Finally something caught my eye: a single loose thread dangling from the bedspread. I could use it to lower myself to the floor. I wondered if it would be too thin for me to grip. Only one way to find out, I thought. Carefully, I began to lower myself down the fabric of the bedspread.

  When I got to the bottom, I hopped down off the bedspread, landing on the wooden baseboard that ran along the side of the bed. I bent down and grabbed the thread that had come loose from the fabric. Even though Annie had shrunk me to a pretty small size, the thread still felt thin in my hands. I wondered if it would hold my weight. Since I still could get a pretty decent grip on it, I decided to give it a try. Holding the thread, I began to repel down the wooden baseboard.

 It seemed to work pretty well, though it seemed to take all of the little thread's strength to support my weight. I prayed it didn't come loose from the bedspread. As I walked down, I placed my hands one under the other, giving each one a brief rest from the stinging friction of the rope.

  Finally, I reached the bottom of the baseboard. Now I had run out of footing, and my legs dangled awkwardly below. It was time for a new strategy. I tried to wrap my legs around the thin thread for support, but this proved more difficult than I had anticipated. My arms and hands were already tired, and I struggled to continue towards the floor. I made it about halfway, and my grip started to give. I clenched the rope tightly, regretting this when I slipped slightly and suffered a painful rope burn. I paused for a moment to catch my breath before continuing. My legs were still dangling in the air. I loosened my grip again, and suddenly I began to slide down quickly. This burned my hands again, but this time, I let go of the rope. Shit. I fell towards the floor, thankful we had a carpet, but bracing myself as I knew this was going to hurt.

  I tried to absorb the fall, but still managed to hurt my leg a little. After pausing to let the pain subside, I started to walk. My legs were still a little sore, but I knew I couldn't stay there, so I set off for the bedroom door. I knew there was no way I was getting back up onto the bed and into the purse, which meant I would have to figure out another way to get back to the office. Now more than ever, I needed to be alert to my surroundings.

  As I made my way down the hallway, the enticing smell of Thai food grew stronger and stronger. I turned into the kitchen and could hear Linda droning on about the company, and generally patting herself on the back for pulling off the merger deal. I hurried across the kitchen floor, and stood against the base of the cabinet. I peered around the corner into the dining room, and could see Linda and Cory's heads over the top of the table. This was the perfect spot. I was hidden from view and relatively safe, and I could see and hear everything that was going on in the dining room.

  The two of them sat there eating spicy Thai food. Cory ate quietly, looking up and speaking only when Linda spoke to him. Beneath the table, Linda still had on her black heels. Her legs were crossed. As in her office, I couldn't help but find them attractive, though now I was glad to be at a safer distance. Cory had on a pair of black shoes, which didn't shine as much as Linda's. His pants didn't seem to fit quite right. He was slouched over in his chair, appearing nervous and self-conscious. Above the table, I could see Linda was still talking. She seemed relaxed and confident, and from the way she looked down at her food, you could tell she thought it was delicious. Oddly, she looked at Cory the same way.

  Linda continued to go on about the merger, and actually started to thank Cory for his help. Cory then thanked her for giving him a job. Linda said she was impressed with him so far, and said that he had potential, though to me, it was unclear what for.

  Suddenly, Linda's foot moved, and Cory jolted; the touch had startled him. She was rubbing her pump up and down against his leg. Cory's body went stiff. Linda looked at him with sultry eyes, and that same look of hunger. A look I had been given many times before, but had never seen her show anyone else. Cory stared at her face, as if locked in hypnosis. He looked like a zombie. I suddenly became uncomfortable at the thought of what I must have looked like under Linda's spell.

  Linda brought her foot down, and slipped it out of the pump. She brought her foot up Cory's leg again, this time with only the stocking. She brought her foot up to Cory's chair, resting it on his crotch. Cory moaned nervously, and appeared almost to be shivering. She began to knead her foot into his pants, while he offered no resistance. Linda cocked her head playfully, and smirked amusedly at his reaction.

  "Yes, Cory," she began, "I do think you make an excellent personal assistant. Hmm... or perhaps 'servant' would be a better word? After all, you do what I ask, and don't ask questions... Hm. Servant. But don't worry. As long as you remember your place, I'll treat you right."

  I watched in astonishment. She had complete control over him. The way she talked seemed like it could have been a game, though it was clear she didn't mean it that way. I wanted to shout at Cory, and tell him to stand up for himself. Linda seemed to draw no line between their professional and personal relationship. She needed to assume a completely dominant role in relation to Cory. The hardest part of watching all this was that I knew it was what she had done to me. I was getting a sobering, outside perspective of my own unhealthy relationship with this woman. And yet, paradoxically, seeing her do it to someone she had known for barely a month, with just as much enthusiasm, broke my heart.

  What I felt most of all at seeing this was anger. I was not angry with Linda. I didn't feel betrayed; she had clearly never loved me. It was a burden off my back for me to be certain of that now. I was not angry at Cory. He was just another victim, just a tool for Linda to use for her own pleasure. I was angry with myself. For lying to myself, abusing myself, and staying somewhere I was unhappy, instead of determining the course of my own life.

  I felt a sudden strange peace come over me.

  I walked toward the table. Linda still had Cory pinned to the chair with her foot. I was not afraid of her anymore. The whole scene seemed surreal and absurd. I walked past the table. I needed to find a way to get back to the office, I thought. Linda continued talking to Cory, though I seemed not to be able to hear her words. Even her mammoth, sexy legs under the table failed to capture my attention now. I saw Cory's beige canvas bag sitting on the floor. I was able to find a place to hide in there.

  Suddenly, Linda broke the mood. She chided Cory for not keeping an eye on the clock. It had been an hour already, and they had to get back to the office. She quickly retrieved her purse, and Cory grabbed his bag. They walked quickly out of the apartment. I was glad I had the presence of mind to ensure I was going with them. Linda was upset. She was never late. And of course, she placed the blame on Cory. This did nothing to help the poor young man, whom she had just wound up like a spring and not released.

  The car ride back was silent. I was glad, as I needed some time to think. I wasn't sure what they had done before today, or what would have happened today if they hadn't been interrupted, but I knew I had seen enough. I was reminded of that night with Linda in the park. History was repeating itself. But Cory still had a chance to turn back.

  We made it back to the Linda's office, where Linda returned to work without missing a beat. She promptly assigned Cory some menial task, as if their "lunch break" had not just happened. Cory returned to his office, and I hopped down from his bag. I made my way carefully back to my office. My leg still hurt from the fall in Linda's bedroom, but I moved as quickly as I could. It was a little after 1:00 right now. The plan was that Annie would come back for me when she got out of school at 3. For now, I would have to wait in my office.

  I reached the door of my office and made my way inside. I still was a little incredulous at what had just happened. I was glad I was safe, and that my plan had been a success. But most of all, I was glad I finally had closure. I could end things with Linda and move on. Suddenly, I heard footsteps behind me. Before I could turn though, I felt a petrifying shiver run down my spine as I heard a female voice far above me call out my name in surprise.