- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
BIG ARBOR LAKE,
ARBOR VITAE, WISCONSIN
JUNE 28, 1921
* * * * *

From the front window of the living room, we watched in slack-jawed horror as the giant snake-woman's black hair seemed to come to life. The strands reshaping themselves so that they now resembled the two halves of a cobra's fully-spread hood!

Even as they did so, however, the mafiosi posted outside continued pumping away on their shotguns. Round after twelve-gauge round of buckshot lodging itself in her waistline. And, yet, all to no harmful effect.

Indeed, I could swear this reptilian giantess was silently laughing at their efforts!

Then, it was her turn. First, she lashed out with her tail, sending all those on her right literally flying in all directions. Then, she did the same to those on her left...with one exception.

That one was grabbed up by her suddenly prehensile tail, and slowly drawn upward to her gaping jaws. As if she was savoring his current screams of terror!

Screams that ended only when she had closed her jaws and swallowed him. The tell-tale gulp all too visible from our lower vantage point.

"Signora Bianco!" Sir Anthony now exclaimed: "There's only one way to drive her off. Our pistols have blessed steeljacket ammunition. Have Mugsy return them to us. Now, before it's too late!"

To her credit, "Cassandra White" swiftly nodded in compliance. Whereupon, Mugsy personally re-armed Sir Anthony and myself.

"Upstairs bedroom windows?" I suggested.

Sir Anthony nodded. And, our hostess quickly told us which second floor doorway faced our mutual enemy. Ten seconds later, we had achieved slightly higher ground. Making the velocity of our bullets less prone to diminuition by distance.

Unfortunately, ten seconds had proven enough time to devour most of the remaining sentries out front. So that the snake-woman was now free to turn her attention on the occupants of the lodge.

"Aim for the base of her throat," Sir Anthony instructed.

I grimly nodded. We then counted backwards from three, in unison, before he shouted:

"Open fire!"

As we had, up in Canada, we fired every round dead on target. Unfortunately, for us, they all lodged in the snake-woman's pendulous giant breasts! And, though she reared upwards, clutching them in agony, that seemed to be the only effect our blessed bullets had on her.

"Not to worry," Sir Anthony replied, when I noted as much, aloud: "In looking for the source of the fusillade, she'll no doubt lower her head to inspect these windows. When she does..."

"...we empty our re-loads right into her eyes," I finished (clicking the cylinder of my revolver back into place).

Now, it was Sir Anthony who grimly nodded. A few moments later, we were looking at our reflections in the biggest, blackest pair of eyes we had ever seen.

"Fire!"

The ensuing shriek of pain was so loud, it drowned out even the muzzle reports of our hand guns! Unfortunately, that same pain also caused the snake-woman to convulse and thrash about. And, as a result? Her giant tail came crashing through the southward-facing wall of the lodge's first floor. Which, in turn, collapsed two of the weight-bearing wooden columns of the living room. Causing the second floor bedroom containing us...

...to drop out from beneath our feet.

tbc