- Text Size +
* * * * *

For what felt like an eternity, everyone in the camp stood transfixed. Then, Stacy Bishop (who had been headed back to the other summer camp with the rest of the girls) started yelling and pointing.

"That's her! The one called Meleusina! She's the one who took Miss Stepwicz and the others!"

Her shouted identification was loud and clear, even out in the middle of the lake. And, the snake-giantess grinned...like the proverbial Cheshire cat with rabies.

"I know what you plan to do, little man. And I cannot permit that. Hand me the letters, and I will spare your life. I might even make you my personal love-slave!"

Bob Gabriel, however, was made of sterner stuff.

"I've got another kind of message for you, sweetheart. A love letter from Herr Mauser!"

No sooner had he said that than he had drawn and begun firing. Prompting Sir Anthony and I to run down to the shore and do likewise (as we had all three agreed it was no longer safe to go about in broad daylight unarmed). Unfortunately, I could tell from the splashes to Meleusina's right that our bullets were falling far short of their mark. While Bob's were lodging no higher than the underside of her buxom chest!

On the other hand, being blessed steeljackets, they still caused her considerable pain, all the same.

"AAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRGH! You will suffer for that, little man!!"

Whereupon, Meleusina moved backward a little. Resulting in the tip of her tremendous tail rising up out of the water...and prehensilly wrapping it around Bob's neck.

In the process of lifting him into the air, however, the bulk of her tail bumped against the underside of the ferry. Completing the panic-stricken state of the horses, and causing them to launch themselves off the ferry, yoked duo by duo.

Meleusina looked at them, and then looked at everyone back in Camp.

"Don't worry! They'll make it alive to the other shore. After all; my daughters occasionally like to eat something other than fish! As do I."

Whereupon, she laughed...before slowly tilting back her head and opening wide her jaws. At the same time, the tip of her tail began to ascend even higher. With Bob still struggling to draw breath, as if he were dangling from a hangman's noose. Sir Anthony and I looked at each other. And, as if we could read each other's mind, we nodded in unison. We then commenced firing...at the fleshy part of the tail just below Bob's neck!

Her ensuing scream of pain was near-deafening. But, our desperate gambit had paid off. Her tail tip instinctively loosened enough that Bob fell straight down into the lake!

Unfortunately, we had forgotten about the Buru-nagas.

As soon as Bob resurfaced, two of those reptilian viragos surfaced on either side of him. Whereupon, they each grabbed him by one of his upper arms and dragged him back to this side of the lake. Prompting Sir Anthony and myself to each get down on one knee and aim more precisely. Before we could get off any shots, though, we found ourselves being suddenly disarmed by a pair of baseball bats!

Bats that were subsequently used to strike us in our stomachs. Resulting in our landing flat on our backs, with the wind completely knocked out of us. Consequently, we could say or do nothing but stare upward in shock at the ones who had done this to us.

Boris Draconicov, the camp director...and his female counterpart from the girls' side of the camp. One Miss Zephilia Smith.

"You have meddled enough, Sir Anthony!" declared the former: "You and your friends will now suffer the same fate as those Clydesdales."

He tilted his head to his right, indicating the opposite shore of the lake. From the woods of which, screams of equine terror were now emanating.

tbc