- Text Size +
* * * * *

As it turns out, our next person-of-interest, Cassandra White, did not live within the munincipal confines of Arbor Vitae proper. Rather, she now resided within a former hunting-and-fishing lodge, on the island of Minocqua, on Big Arbor Lake. The aforementioned body of water straddled the boundary between Vilas and Oneida Counties, Wisconsin. So, upon arriving in Arbor Vitae, we would have to charter a motorboat to get to the island. And, that's assuming the Widow White would even deign to see us!

For the lodge was heavily guarded, at all times, by the most hard core of her late husband's loyal subordinates.

Fortunately, for us, Sheriff Nellis of Winnebago County was good friends with the sheriff of Vilas County. And, the latter had not only supplied the former with all of the above information. He had also agreed to act as our intermediary in requesting an audience with Widow White.

As a result, when Bob Gabriel landed us in a small cropduster's airfield near Arbor Vitae, we were personally met by Sheriff B.B.L. Zimmer. When I naturally inquired what the first three initials stood for, he smirked and replied:

"You wouldn't believe me if I told you."

Twenty minutes later, we departed from a small boathouse in the back yard of Sheriff Zimmer's own house. Half an hour after that, we were pulling up to a brown-painted ladder hanging off a matching-colored dock. Waiting for us atop that dock were three men. Two of whom were armed with Springfield M-1897 pump-action shotguns!

The man standing in front and between them was the one who helped us over the top of the ladder.

"Welcome to Minocqua. I'm Sid Pixis."

Sir Anthony was quick to seize on that.

"Pixis? Isn't that a Greek surname?"

"Greco-Sicilian, actually," the spokesman replied: "My family emigrated here from Siracusa. Santo Dionisio Pixis; at your service. My friends call me 'Sid.' But, you can just call me Mr. P!"

"Very well, Mr. P," Sir Anthony replied (immediately getting the point): "I'm..."

"I already know who you are, l---y!" he snapped: "Dona Cassandra's a big fan of your books. That's the only reason she agreed to see you two. Pat'em down, Mugsy!"

The guard to Mr. P's right handed the spokesman his shotgun. Following which, he frisked both of us quite efficiently. Confiscating both of our pistols.

"You'll get these back when it's time for you to leave," Mr. P declared, handing Mugsy's shotgun back to him.

Whereupon, he gestured with his head for us to follow him. Which we did; with Mugsy and his compatriot bringing up the rear.

The woman we were subsequently introduced to sat on a rocking chair in her quite spacious ground-floor living room. And, in stark contrast to her name, she was dressed all in black. Up to, and including, the translucent veil that she now lifted from her face.

"Greetings, Sir Anthony," she said with a well-practiced smile.

"Buon Giorno, Signora Bianco," Sir Anthony replied, as we both bowed: "Allow me to introduce my staunch friend and ally; Dr. Peter Thorpe."

"Benevenuto, Doctore!"

"Graci prego, signora."

She then got right to the point.

"Dionisio has no doubt told you that I highly value my privacy. So, whatever questions you went to so much trouble to get permission to ask? Please, ask them. Then, leave as soon as I have answered them!"

"Very well, Signora," replied Sir Anthony: "Question Number One. Do you know, as we do, the true nature of the Sisterhood of Bellona?"

The widow's smile disappeared faster than the memory of a re-elected Republican. And, her reply was more of a harsh whisper.

"All too well, I'm afraid."

"Then, why contribute so much to their coffers? Especially, when they aided your husband's arch-enemy in killing him?"

Here, her smile not only returned. It became a grin that I can only describe as "predatory."

"Are you familiar with the expression: 'Keep your friends close. But, your enemies, closer?' "

Sir Anthony nodded: "It refers to the setting and springing of two-sided traps."

"Precisely! I intend to lull those pagan hussies into a false sense of security. And, when the time is right, I will avenge what they did to my husband! Although, I must confess; the reports of his death have been greatly exaggerated."

Sir Anthony and I looked at each other in puzzlement.

"I'm afraid we don't follow you."

The Widow White barked an order in Italian. Following which, one of her bodyguards brought in a rhinestone-studded jewelry box. Whereupon, she turned a skeleton key in the lock of its bottom half, and opened the lid.

There, sitting in the center of its red velvet-lined interior...was a three inch-tall man.

"Sir Anthony? Doctore? Meet my husband; the now literally 'Tiny Dan' Bianco."

tbc