- Text Size +
* * * * *

"Oh, yes!" I moaned in ectasy: "Yes-yes-yes-yes-YESSSSSSSSS!"

Ramona, seeing this, laughingly recommended that they lighten up on me.

"After all; we don't want to him suffer from premature exultation!"

Much to my intense embarrassment and disappointment, they giggled in agreement and stopped.

"Oh, come on!" I whined as I regained my feet: "Just five more minutes?"

They all giggled, again. Yet, Ramona smilingly shook her head in resolute refusal. So, to take my mind off of what had _almost_ happened, I remarked how that tune they had hummed sounded very familiar.

"What's it called?"

"Did you like it? It's our own version of 'The Itsy-Bitsy Spider.' Want to hear it?"

I nodded. So, they all began to sing, in perfect accapella harmony.

"The itsy-bitsy fighter climbed up the water spout.
Down came the baton, and wiped the figher out.
The majorettes who found him healed up all his pain.
So, in gratitude, he said he would
Always stay with them."

As they sang, more memories came flooding back to me. The DVD had mentioned "pre-recorded subliminal stuff." And, one of the instrumental songs I had listened to, aboard the Citation's flight to Las Vegas, was a fast-paced jazz version of "Itsy-Bitsy Spider!"

These girls had certainly thought of everything. Yet, tempted as I was, I had to fight the impulse to lose my temper, a second time. It had already been demonstrated, to me, just how ineffectual my martial arts prowess was, at this size. Plus, doing so might lead to worse punishment, for me, than mere tickling.

So, once again, I opted to be a gentleman.

"That was very lovely. You girls should go into show business after you graduate."

"We already are," said Ramona: "We've got a physical fitness segment on Metro-Manila Television called 'Twirlercise.' And, Irv has promised us international syndication of it through a Midwestern cable TV network here in the States!"

"You expect him to keep his word on that?"

"If he doesn't," grinned Ramona: "...I don't persuade my dad to sign with the pharmaceutical company Irv represents."

"Pharmaceutical company?" I echoed, completely puzzled.

"Oh, yeah! They're planning to mass market Enzyme X (that's what Dad unoffically calls it) as the ultimate weight-loss product! Of course, there's one obvious side-effect they have to eliminate, first. But, once they do, they'll make millions! And, so will Dad."

Now, this began to make a lot more sense. Before I could take this discussion any further, though, Ramona suddenly leaned forward and picked me up in both hands.

"Irv will be back, any moment, now. So, it's time to get you dressed."

"But, I am dr...!" I started to reply. Then, I remembered.

"Awwwwwwwww!" I whined, as pitifully as I could: "Do I have to?"

Ramona and the others giggled and nodded in unison. As a result? Consuela took off my white cowboy shirt (with the blue designer curlicues on both lapel pockets). While Manuela removed my black slacks with matching pleather belt.

Patricia then slowly inserted me into a gold-and-lime-green bodysuit that resembled a sequined unitard with built-on jodhpurs. Following which, Marguerita adorned my left foot with an identically-colored floppy shoe. While Ana-Maria got to do the same thing with my right. As for Dolores? The best-for-last was saved for her.

She got to put the pointy little hat (complete with chinstrap) on top of my head.

"Awwwwwwwwwwww!" they chorused, when Ramona showed me my reflection in the glass of the flatscreen: "How cute!"

"Do I at least get my real clothes back, when we reach Manila?" I asked, as plaintively as possible.

Ramona just grinned: "We'll see."

Needless to say, that did not fill me with confidence. Because, whenever my mother had uttered those words, in response to some childhood request of mine, it was usually as a synonym...for "never."

tbc