- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

The trio are face-to-face with three giant wasps, whom they do battle with before heading down the tree...

    As the trio looked to the skies, they could hear a violent buzzing sound, coming from above them. They saw the three huge monsters approaching. They all whipped by their heads, causing a small gust of wind. Sei fell onto his back as he was trying to pull his weapon out. The three came around and buzzed to the branch they were on. Two of them stayed high in the air, and one of them landed halfway down the branch, slowly crawling towards them. They were a lot bigger than they were, and it almost looked like they were wasps.

    The three wasps were color-coded, in a way. The one on the branch was bright blue, and the two in the skies were red and yellow. They all had striped, down to their stingers, which could easily impale any of the trio. They came together, in a group, and seemed to be set on keeping Hitoshi, Tarou, and Sei was leaving the tree, at this time. They were set on fighting them and either just keeping them from leaving or finding a nice, tiny meal from the three of them. They weren't about to give up without a fight, though. Tarou, especially, scanning all three of them.

    Tarou knew, all too well, that color-coded monsters were colored for a reason. Their bright colors were a representation on the power they wielded, and he figured this was no different. Before they even sent off any sparks, he began to theorize that the red one was able to do something, in regards to fire. Were he correct, then the blue one would be something with water or ice, and the yellow would be thunder and lightning. Having this knowledge and, assuming he was right, they would be able to exploit weaknesses, making this battle all the easier.

    With the blue one quickly crawling up the branch, running after them, Tarou was the first to test his theory. Holding his staff out, he cast a simple fire-based spell, launching a brief flash of fire at the torso of the wasp. Just as he suspected, it reacted in a very desirable way. There was a loud shriek, as the wasp fell on it's back. It's body was covered in flames. This gave Hitoshi and Sei the perfect opportunity to go in for the kill. It was completely stunned and helpless. All they had to do was finish the job he'd started.

    As soon as Hitoshi got close, he blasted his way through the wasp, rapidly slashing it with his sword over a dozen times. This knocked the stunned wasp back and severed most of it's wings. To finish the job came Sei. He tossed his weapon at the wasp, boomeranging around and breaking the balance it had on the branch. With a shriek, the huge insect fell towards the ground, not likely to be returning anytime soon. As soon as they had defeated the first of the three, the other two started moving, aiming to dive-bomb both Hitoshi and Sei.

    Tarou called for them, trying to warn them to get out of the way, but they were too fast. He began casting an ice-based spell to try to ward one of them off, but it was too slow. By the time the chunks of ice formed and smashed into the red wasp, Sei had already been struck. Hitoshi and Sei were sent flying, sliding across the branch with tears in the back of their armor. They got up, only to see the yello wasp coming towards them. It flew high and then around the branches, out of sight. Where was it? Where would it come out from to attack again? They didn't know, but they all watched the branches carefully. Thankfully, there were no leaves for this wasp to hide behind.

    They all stuck their faces to the middle of the tree, not realizing that these giant wasps were playing them. The buzzing sound happened again, but it sounded like it was coming from everywhere. They were all looking for them, and they only seemed to find one. The one from before, that had gotten stunned by Tarou's ice spell. It was starting to recover from it's fall, it's wings fidgeting, trying to get airborne again. Hitoshi and Sei immediately went after it, trying to get rid of it. Using the same strategy as before, they managed to send it flying off, but not before the yellow one made it's move.

    From behind them came a scream, Tarou's voice. Hitoshi and Sei looked back, only to see Tarou falling to the ground, his arms and legs shaking. They could see electrical bolts surging around him as the yellow wasp landed on the branch, just passed him. It had, somehow, managed to completely disable Tarou's body. He was quivering, as if he couldn't move at all. Hitoshi and Sei took this time to assault the wasp, before it could do any more harm to Tarou. They didn't care if it was closer. They were going to take their chances and try to get there in time.

    The wasp saw the two of them charging at it, and it flew towards them, surprisingly abandoning the disabled Tarou. It flew straight at them, and Hitoshi's blade clashed with it's stinger. It was instantly cut in half. Just as the others had done from Tarou's spells, the wasp let out a shriek and fell to the ground at the pain of losing it's stinger. Falling down, it hit the branch, completely helpless. Using everything they had, Hitoshi and Sei slashed the monster dozens upon dozens of times, until it's wings had been broken and they were able to shove it off the branch, falling to it's doom.

    The two then ran over to Tarou, whose shaking was starting to let up. He was starting to recover. Hitoshi and Sei helped him up and they then sat him down, letting him rest for awhile, before heading back down the tree to go back to Ant Town...