- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

The trio find out the first lesson of being small...animals they once felt were no threat are now a very real one...

After having gotten as much rest as they thought they could get, they decided it was time to start working their way back to the academy. At their new height, it would take a lot longer than it would normally take, but they had a mission to complete, and they needed to complete it. Perhaps it wasn't the same mission as before, but then again, maybe it was. Getting back to the campus and trying to protect them from Masako's plan of reviving the Red Queen by stealing the students' sizes was still involved with their investigation of the disappearances. They were just a little more active in it as of now.

Taking a look at their surroundings, they had a forest of grass all around them. The low-cut grass only came up around their heads, so they could tip-toe and see some of the nearby locations. As they moved further into the grassy plains, they could see a huge pit of dirt and what seemed to be a white, hard wall beyond it. By these walls were enormous pillar-like objects and, although a bit blurred from where they were, they went back to their memories of being here before. That wall had to have been the concrete path that led to the entrance of the shrine. If they could get up there, they would have a better view of where they could go to get back to the academy.

Moving through the grass was no easy task. They were having to move relatively slow, hacking away at the enormous grass blades with their swords and pushing others to the side, as if they were going through some immense corn field, or something similar. The ground was plenty sturdy, but the grass wasn't. Their trip, just to the dirt that led to the concrete path seemed very long and hard. They went further and further, several minutes passing by before they could see the edge of the grass in front of them. Happy that their destination was within reach, they began to move faster towards the edge. However, they were soon given a hard lesson.

As they reached the edge of the grass they heard a loud, whirring sound from above, like a jet flying past. Their heads popped into the air, trying to look around and see what it was. Surely they hadn't shrunk any sort of aircraft, right? It had to be something else. Hitoshi and Sei were looking around, frantically, as the three stepped out of the grass and their boots hit the hard, gravel-like dirt-field that was leading to that concrete path. They were walking slowly, still looking into the air for what might be going on. While Hitoshi and Sei were looking, Tarou had a more serious look on his face, an idea of what might have made that sound, just now.

The sound slowly disappeared, and they all tried to calm down and continued on their path, towards the concrete path. Once they got over there, they'd be able to see where the exit is, to go back towards campus. Then, they could focus on getting back to campus and deciding what they could do then. They began running across the dirt path, realizing that it was much easier to move across than the field of grass had been. They could move much faster across it and get to the other side quickly. They were about halfway across it when they heard the whirring sound make itself apparent again.

Their heads turned to see what the sound was, once again. Hitoshi and Sei were expecting to see nothing, just as before, but Tarou's face had looked and focused on an object that was high in the sky above them. The two others also saw it, and their eyes widened as they saw it coming closer and closer. Tarou pulled out his staff, realizing just what it was. As bit as they were, if not bigger, was a gigantic fly. The whirring sound got louder, almost like a sonic boom going through the air as it dive-bombed towards the trio. Hitoshi and Sei bolted towards the concrete path as Tarou got out his staff.

The ugly, scaley form of the fly was buzzing and whirring closer and closer. Tarou's eyes were set on it, slowly focusing what energy he had in a spell to use against it. The spells he used would probably be diminished, as he was, and he thought hard about it. His highest-level spell, at that moment, was Quake, but that couldn't be used against flying enemies. He would have to use a Thunder or Fire spell to try to catch the fly off-guard and, hopefully, take it down. How shocking it was, to him, that he was trying to brainstorm to be able to get past a simple housefly.

The fly zoomed in closer and closer, getting ground on Sei, whom was back the furthest of the two of the running students. The buzzing was almost too loud for him to even comprehend, but he didn't lost all of his wits. Knowing that the fly had to have it's wings to fly, he pulled out his sword, hoping that his aim was still as sharp as ever. He quickly turned to throw his sword, but the fly was too close, at this point. It was right on him and the legs scraped right into his chest, knocking him over. He fell on his back as the monster flew past and went back into the air.

As the monster circled around, Hitoshi had come back to help his friend up, and they'd been joined by Tarou. Hitoshi and Sei were getting up, and Tarou stood in front, seeing the flying turning and diving back down, towards them. He was getting his staff ready for whatever he was about to try, hoping that it was going to work. Focusing as much energy into his staff as he could, he launched a Fire spell as soon as the monster got close to him. As the flames came up, they enveloped the insect and they heard a mind-shattered screech as it came crashing down, straight towards them.

They dove out of the way as the fly crashed into the ground, twitching and dying from the flames they'd hit it with. Not wanting to stay close, they immediately ran for the concrete path, quickly making it up onto it and looking at one another. Their situation had changed, a lot. Not only did they have a lot more distance to travel in this venture, but they had a whole new world of enemies and dangers that lied ahead of them. They didn't have to worry about monsters anymore. They had to worry about large insects and animals...