- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

The trio trek into 'uncharted' territory as they clear some monsters out of the new area for the Training Course...

After having crossed the Training Course and gone through a small opening in the forest, Hitshi and the others slowly made their way into this new section of wilderness that Ms. Moriko wanted to use as part of the Training Course, to expand it into something larger than what it already was. They weren't entire sure what they were to expect out of this new place, but they'd been assigned to take care of the monsters that lived here, and that's exactly what they planned to do. If the creatures here were tough, it would only serve to prepare them even further for what they would encounter at the Seiryuu Shrine.

The land that this led out to looked similar to what they'd seen at the Beach. Or, rather, it looked like a combination between the Training Course's current land and the land over at the Beach. There were a lot of cliffs and forests, but as far as the ground was concerned, it was about half green with grass and the rest was square-fashioned patches of sand, leading to the ocean. There were two main paths they could take. They could head South, which led to some more of the forest, or West, heading towards the edge of this area. They turned and decided to head South, running into their first fight of this place, three monsters guarding the next area.

As the three of them drew their weapons, they saw three monsters jump down from the trees, which looked a little familiar to them. There were three crabs, which looked very similar to the Rivercrabs they'd seen in the main area of the Training Course. It did stand to reason that there would be similar species' living in different areas of the same region of land. Expecting this not to go nearly as easy as they'd been before, they took the fight seriously and went into battle. They went in with their usual attacks. Hitoshi and Sei did physical attacks, while Tarou stood back and dropped a lightning bolt down on their foes. The battle was over relatively quickly, them receiving a few hits in the process, but they'd just gotten bruised up a little. Nothing life-threatening.

As they trailed themselves around, they found a fork in the road, the same as before. They could either go West or South. Choosing the South path again, they ran into a few groups of these new crabs, until they realized it was a dead end. Having a few more bruises, they were starting to get worn down. The monsters, themselves, weren't all that tough, but as the battles racked themselves up, it was starting to poke at them. Even the easiest of battles, given large numbers, would be tough to endure through.They were heading West and about to go into another battle, when they saw a much larger set of monsters, out in a field. Pulling themselves back, though, they started to think.

The monsters they saw looked like some sort of huge, mutated cattle. Nearly 15-20 feet across, and there in a pair, they looked quite formidable. Hitoshi and Sei looked towards Tarou, asking for a quick heal before heading into this next battle. Tarou, of course, obliged, having not spent all that much of his strength in the battle thus far. Holding his staff up, he closed his eyes and began to chant a healing spell on Hitoshi. About halfway into the spell, however, everything started glowing. Tarou kept chanting, but he wasn't sure what was going on. The staff was sapping much more energy from him than it should have. Within moments, the spell had been cast and the light enveloped not only Hitoshi, but Sei and Tarou as well.

As Tarou opened his eyes back up, they all smiled, realizing that he'd managed to extend the power of his healing spell, healing all three of them at once. He'd remembered this rendition of the spell from class. It was called “Cure II”. It was a strange name, but it worked, and he could apparently cast it, at that point. The three of them were now content and full of energy, rushing out into the field, weapon in hand, ready to take on whatever these huge monsters were, hoping that they'd be strong enough to endure the hits they'd take and take them down, at the same time.

As they rushed forward, the oversized boars turned around and charged at them. Realizing that charging wasn't the best solution, all three of them jumped out of the way as the monsters ran past them, slowly pushing their hooves into the ground and coming to a stop. Having gathered up enough energy, Sei took the back, for once, and Hitoshi and Tarou prepared an assault. Holding his staff high into the air and pointing it towards the monsters, he cried out, “Catastrophe!” Just as on the mountain, a large explosion appeared around the board, knocking them both off their hooves and led to them screaming out in pain.

Taking advantage of the fact that they were stunned, Hitoshi jumped in, rapid-slashing them, calling out his Oni Rush ability. Within mere moments, one of the two had been dealt with. As the other was getting up, Tarou and Sei finished it off with a quick throwing of a weapon and a Thunder spell. The three of them stood where those monsters once were, and were taking deep breaths, having spent a lot of energy and considered themselves lucky that the battle had gone so well. They looked at each other and were surprised this place had monsters so big. They took a few moments of rest before turning around and head back towards the original fork of this wilderness.

They fought through a few more battles with crabs and some red-tinted “bush” enemies, similar to the ones they'd seen in the original Training Course, and finally started heading West from the entrance of this place, making their way across it. This part of the area seemed much less monster-populated, and they were even able to enjoy part of the view, seeing a few small butterflies wandering about and some seashells that had washed up on the shore. It was almost peaceful up there, for the most part. This would be a very interesting place for Professor Moriko to extend the Training Course to and, given the enemies here, would provide a much better training session than the monsters within the original Course.

Making their way over, they realized that the path split, one again to the West and South. Shaking their heads at why there were so many different paths to take, they looked and could see the edge of the West path, deciding to take it first this time. As they made their way over to the west side, peering out towards the ocean, they turned and saw another pair of those oversized boars. Grabbing their weapons, they jumped into yet another battle. They didn't imagine this battle would be quite as easy as the last, but they were confident that they'd be able to take care of them.

The battle had started off with them jumping behind the monsters and surprising them with an attack. Hitoshi launchd a torrent of wind at them, Sei threw a weapon at one of them, and Tarou started casting a different spell than normal. As soon as one of them had gotten struck by Hitoshi and Sei's abilities, The ground below the monster had slowly begun to redden. “Fire!” called out Tarou, as the entire area around the boar became the catalyst for a small ball of flame that burst up from the ground. The monster fell over as the other ran towards the three of them. Sei ran to the side and threw his weapon at the injured monster, quickly knocking it down and finishing it off. Turning around, however, he noticed that Hitoshi and Tarou had gotten run into and knocked back by the other one.

The two of them fell over as the boar ran past them. Looking up, they were soon joined by Sei who boomeranged his weapon back, quickly. Tarou was the first one up and, with the monster busy, quickly cast a Cure II spell, bringing back both his and Hitoshi's energy. However, he felt his own energy running low, unable to cast any more spells for now. Standing together, Sei and Hitoshi launched another assault, Sei stunning the monster by boomeranging his weapon while Hitoshi jumped at it, able to launch it away with a Double-Cut.

After regrouping, they took another break, sitting down to think about just how hard these battles were becoming. The boards were still easily beatable, but without both of them being stunned, it was a little hard for them to not get pummeled, at least a little bit. Expressing his energy drought, Tarou brought out three Mana Waters, each of them drinking one of them before heading to the final path of the wilderness. They weren't sure if they'd need them or not, but they didn't want to take any chances. As long as they had the Mana Water, they were planning on using it. They could always buy more on campus, after this mission was over.

After taking their break, they headed down the south path, realizing that it also lead down two ways. Hitoshi shook his head, initially, at seeing the ridiculous amount of branching paths this place head. Fortunately, though, the east path could be seen from the fork, and it was completely void of monsters. Skipping that path, they looked down the left one and got nervous smiles on their faces. They could see the entire path, but there was one final set of boars down there. They began to walk when Sei took the lead, expressing that they had this in the bag. Going along with his enthusiasm, the other two followed closely behind.

Coming to the boars, Sei ran at them, his sword glowing as he went into a running jump. He screamed out “Silhouette Slice!” Bringing his sword down, he slices into the monster's legs, 2 hits per boar and managed to stun them before jumping back to the others. Taking the initiative and the fact that the monsters were nearly falling over, Tarou and Hitoshi quickly launched a Thunderbolt and Aerothrust at the first boar, easily bringing it down. Before the second had a chance to get un-stunned, Sei threw his sword at it, followed closely by a Fire spell from Tarou, which brought it down.

Having covered all of the monsters in this place, Hitoshi turned around and started heading back, signaling t the others. “Alright, that should do it. Let's report back to Professor Moriko” Following behind him, the others joined Hitoshi in looking at the scenery and headed back to the entrance, aiming to tell Moriko of what had happened...