- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

The trio comes to Moriko and receive a new assignment...

The trio had learned a great deal since leaving Ayuka behind and were preparing to head for the Seiryuu Shrine. They had visited their three closest friends, or at least the ones that most of them enjoyed speaking to, and had learned different, yet useful information from each of them . From Hiromi, they'd found out that there was a forest next to the shrine with fierce creatures within it, where the mikos supposedly spent a lot of time, training their combat skills. That alone told them that were they to get on the shrine's bad side, they'd have a lot to deal with, especially if they had to train just to get on top of Genbu Mountain.

From Umi, they found out that there was some strange magical occurrences going on at the shrine. Power from our world was being sucked and thrown into another, for some strange reason. If the place was enough to make Umi's spirit uncomfortable, it had to be a bad sign. These first two pieces of information made them well aware that they were getting into something quite big. Umi didn't even know about the disappearances, or at least, she never said so, if she did. Were she to find out about that, her concerns might have gone even higher.

Finally was Rui, who had talked about a strange rumor about the mikos looking like they were in some sort of 'trance' when others weren't around and talking with them. This rumor was strange and didn't seem nearly as important as what the other two had told them about, but Hitoshi took the advice Rui gave him, and assumed that this rumor was true. Among the three of them, one thing was in their mind. The shrine and what they were trying to uncover was a well-kept secret and something very big that was going on over there.

If there's anything to be known about secrets is that they are kept for a reason. The shrine was keeping this secret, and unmasking it would, more than likely, get the three of them on someone's bad list. The three of them knew that, all too well. Things would be going sour, at some point. It wasn't a “maybe”, but more of a “when”. Having this information in their head, they realized that they weren't near ready to go and face what lied ahead for them. Remembering their training from before, they were now walking through the gates to the Training Course, hoping that Professor Moriko would have something to help them out.

Moriko was at the top of the place, waiting for them. She had a straight look on her face and crossed her arms as the three of them walked up to her. She had also heard the rumors about what they'd been doing, and was expressing that as she greeted them. “I've heard you boys have actually been doing a decent job out there. Don't let it go to your heads. Even if you are doing well, you need to keep your training up.”

Hitoshi winced at Moriko, both for the fact that he was hoping more for a congratulations from her for them looking tougher than they were before, and for the deal they'd arranged earlier that day. “You know...I had hoped that climbing up the mountain and fighting powerful monsters would be worthwhile enough to qualify as training, Moriko-sensei. Does that not qualify as training?” Moriko, being the strict professor she was, immediately barked back at Hitoshi. “That's the problem with kids these days! There is no substitute, at all, for some real, grueling, physical training.”

She let out a grin as she started thinking, giving them exactly what they'd come to her for. They hadn't asked about training, but why else would they be there? “I'm gonna assume that that's why you're here today. You want another assignment, little boys?” The way she spoke was in a kind, yet teasing manner. Tarou, for one, thought to himself, thinking of the consequences of saying 'no'. They likely had no choice in the matter and would have a much worse fate were they to refuse some training from the professor that stood before them.

Sei, unfortunately, gave Moriko a wide variety of boundaries for this new assignment, throwing out more of his bravado and ego into the conversation. “Did ya have something specific in mind? The three of us can handle anything you throw our way.” The professor closed her eyes and spoke as the wind blew her bangs in front of her eyelids. “You can, can you? We'll just see about that. Yes, it just so happens that I do have something I need taken care of.” Re-opening her eyes, she stared them down with a serious look as she divulged an assignment much different than the one she'd given them before.

“This academy is outgrowing it's training course. I would like to expand it. You are to head west to the wilderness just beyond the course and clear out whatever monsters or creatures that may dwell there.” Hitoshi didn't really like the sound of this new assignment. Sure, they needed some training, but this seemed like a little much. He kept his thoughts to himself, though like a psychic, Moriko immediately scowled at him. “Don't you gimme that look, Hayama! You will carry out my instructions, and you will like it! Understand?”

Moriko definitely had a way to get her students to do what she asked of them. The way her voice raised made all three of them immediately nod as she handed them three Memory Tickets, before sending them on their way. Realizing that they probably couldn't even leave the Training Course until this was done, they walked, together, towards the other side of the training course. They jumped across a couple rocks, looking onward, through a forest, where the opening to the wilderness was. They had quite the training session ahead of them. Hopefully, it would be more than enough to prepare them for what they'd be encountering at the Seiryuu Shrine...