- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Hitoshi and the crew go to Umi, Hiromi, and Rui for advice on their next objective...

The trio set out to do their next “Objective” for the mission, and that was to prepare themselves for what lied ahead for them. They would need to head towards the Seiryuu Shrine, but needed to prepare and talk a little first. Ayuka had strongly expressed that they needed to be ready for anything. Were the situation to turn sour on them, they would need to be more ready than they currently were. They planned what they wanted to do, and headed out the front door, aiming to consult Hiromi about what they were about to go and do. She, one of the upperclassmen, may know something of use.

Heading out the front doors, they saw the blond ponytail-clad warrior wandering around in the same place she'd been before. Upon seeing them, she ran over to them, an excited expression on her face as she welcomed them back and began to speak about what had been going on while they were away. “Aha! There you are! You don't know how much people have been talking! Supposedly, you three have been roaming around up north at the mountain. I didn't know you guys had it in you!” She had a very surprised and happy look on her face, obviously curious to see if those rumors were true.

“You'd better believe it, Hiromi!” replied Hitoshi, sporting a grin on his face, ready to over exaggerate what they'd been up to in the conversation with her, as he normally did. “It just so happens that we were wiping the floor with everything up there. If you're really lucky, I'll escort you up there to train someday!” He was, of course, taking things a little too far, which Hiromi made painfully apparent. Crossing her arms she shook her head. “Alright. You're pushing it now, mister.”

Hitoshi's ego was flowing outward into the others as well. Sei, with a calm and confident look on his face, interjected himself to support Hitoshi in his argument. After all, they had gotten a lot stronger since she'd last seen them. “Don't even act like you wouldn't enjoy the company of a dashing trio like us, my dear lady. You are looking at the future champs of the academy.” The bravado, confidence, and pure ego in this conversation was absolutely hilarious. Tarou didn't join them in it, but did interject himself into the conversation, trying to move it forawrd. “Forgive their arrogance, Hiromi-san. You surely saw the bravado coming from a mile away, just like I did.”

Reacting to Tarou's message, Hiromi changed her tune from confirming rumors to the advice that they had been seeking out, coming to her about all of this. “Just don't get overconfident out there. I don't want to have to rush in and save your butts. You're still my juniors, you know. So, where are you off to next?” The bravado was slightly wavering as Hitoshi spoke up again, though he tried hard to maintain it, at least a little bit. “For reasons we “juniors” cannot disclose right now, we're off to the Seiryuu Shrine. Do you know anything about that place?”

Hiromi blinked and her concern heightened when she found that the three of them were headed towards the shrine. She knew a few things about the place and the mikos who ran the place.”The shrine? Only thing I know is that you had better not mess around up there. I have heard some pretty wild stories about those mikos.” Sei was intrigued by the thought of “wild stories” about the mikos. “Wild stories? What's so wild about those harmless shrine maidens?”

Hiromi was getting more and more serious the longer the conversation went on. “What's so wild is that they supposedly know how to kick butt and take names. If they're as tough as I've heard, they could make short out of almost any student here at the academy.” Hitoshi was also intrigued at what Hiromi was saying. The idea of those shrine maidens being able to fight, let alone well. “Really? The mikos know how to fight? Are they really THAT good?”

Divulging more information, Hiromi searched through her memory and began to speak about a place around the shrine where these maidens spent their time with training. “They go and train in the Seiryuu Forest, you know. That is no place for the faint-hearted. Even us students steer clear of tat place. The monsters that call it home would be handful...even for me.” Tarou was processing everything Hiromi was saying, but there was one thing he didn't understand. “Hmm..it would seem we should make it a priority not to get on their bad side. Still, it puzzles me why shrine maidens would train so intently on the art of combat.”

Sei sent a silent nod before talking about his own surprise that the mikos knew how to fight. “No kidding. Those girls look so innocent. I would never have figured they were fighting machines. I'll believe that when I see it.” As much as Hitoshi went along with the bravado, he didn't really agree with Sei this time. If Hiromi was right about how hard these women trained, they'd be fine not knowing just how strong they really were. “I'd like to think that we won't need to see it. I'd prefer to not have to live down the shame of getting whipped by some miko.”

Hiromi didn't quite understand why they were getting so upset and talking about perhaps fighting with those mikos. It was as if they were planning on confronting them about something. “What are you even worried about? Do you have some kind of bone to pick with the shrine? Everyone has been wanting to know just what's going on with you three.” Hitoshi, unfortunately, couldn't tell her. “Like I said, we can't really talk about it yet. However, your info will help. I'm with Tarou that we should, for the moment, stay on their good side.”

The girl let out a sigh and gave them a further warning. “Seriously, I don't think you should really stir up trouble over there. They're a tough bunch of folks, and probably will not be very excited about you snooping around.” She paused for a moment, thinking about the situation. Reaching into a pocket, she pulled something out. “...but if you insist on doing so, knock yourselves out! Or GET knocked out. Either way, you should take these with you. I'll just be crossing my fingers that you won't have to use them.”

Hiromi then handed the three of them each one Smelling Salt, adding to their collection of provisions. They nodded towards her, thanking her and headed towards the lake, planning to get some more wise advice, from Umi. It didn't take long for them to pocket their gifts and run over to the lake. They walked at a relatively fast pace, slowly making their way to a Umi with an almost worried look on her face. She may have had that bad feeling on her mind, even now. They approached her, only to get “Hitoshi-san” and a brief pause with her looking almost gloomy.

After a brief pause, she got a smile on her face, perking up her pointed ears and started expressing her relief. “I am relieved that all of your unharmed. I am sensing a growth in your strength since we last met.” Sei, instead of throwing some bravado at Umi, threw a rather whiny statement instead. “These sore muscles disagree with you, Umi-chan. We do appreciate the sentiment, though.” Partially joking, Hitoshi agreed with Sei. “I think I agree a little with Sei. Climbing Genbu Mountain sure can take a lot out of you!”

Umi kept a straight face as she calmly agreed with his statement. “That, I do not doubt. Only the most advanced of our students go up there, even fewer all the way to the top. Your performance is quite intriguing.” Tarou spoke to his fellow magic-user and went to the matter at hand, asking for information about their next destination. “If we ever scale it again, perhaps you could accompany us. However, we could use your help for right now. You've spent time at the Seiryuu Shrine, Umi. Can you tell us anything about it?”
Umi flinched at the mentioning of Seiryuu Shrine. She felt something bad about that place. “The Seiryuu Shrine? I no longer visit that place. It has a very forboding aura, which made my spirit uncomfortable. The waves of balance are somehow warped there.” Hitoshi seemed confused at Umi's statements, not understanding what she meant by the 'waves of balance' being warped. He questioned about it, receiving an answer from Tarou. “Warping in the waves of balance can only indicate the working of some sort of chaotic magicks. Umi, could you be more specific?”

Umi calmed herself and began to divulge further, though the information she gave wasn't incredibly inviting. “I can. The trans-universal bridges between our world and another were serving as a conduit for some sort of force. It is a force that I am unfamiliar with, but strong.” Sei was getting a little confused at the speech that Tarou and Umi were speaking in, all of it completely flying over his head. “Do you mages always have to speak in such, well....jargon?” He clearly misunderstood what they said and wanted a straight answer.

Tarou explained it, as best he could, to his bravado-friendly, confused friend. “She means that some kind of unknown power from our world was being channeled into another. The only question is...why?” Umi almost looked troubled as she spoke further about her speculations. “I know everything about this world, but not other ones. My speculation can only see as to where they were getting the power from or what they were channeling it for.”

“So, let me get this straight...” said Hitoshi, trying to understand it as well. “Some kind of force is being taken from our world and sent to another, and this is, somehow, happening at the shrine?” Umi almost seemed a little annoyed that Hitoshi was basically repeating what she had just said. She made it apparent that she realized that they only just repeated what was just said. “I still don't get it” said Sei. “Are the shrine maidens doing this? They're just simple people like we are. Are you sure you're not just imagining things?”

Umi sighed and got an unsure look on her face. “Again, I cannot say. However, I can tell that you three are planning to go there to find out. I would not recommend such a course of action. Tarou-san, you must be on your guard.” Tarou nodded towards Umi, understanding her concern. “We will, Umi. Now that I've got an idea of what to look for, I feel confident for a change. Thank you.” He was starting to feel more comfortable with the situation. Not that it seemed any less positive, but that he had a better understanding of what was going on.

Umi pulled down into one of her pockets and procured a gift for the three of them. “I do not how it will help you, but take this. It may prove useful during this mission. I've never really had a use for it, anyways.” Umi then procured a small pendant attached to a necklace. Hitoshi accepted it and put it around his neck as the three of them slowly departed from her, with a collection of new advice. They traveled around the back of campus and headed for the final person they would be talking with before figuring everything out. If she was still there, they'd be talking with Rui next.

As they came down to the track field, they realized that Rui was still there, just as she had been before. As they approached her, they saw a smile come to her face, a more care-free look on her fact than the other two had been. They expected this, though. Rui didn't take things nearly as seriously all the time as Hiromi and Umi. She got things done, but she just had a more care-free attitude than they did. As they approached, she immediately spoke to Hitoshi. “You're back, Hitoshi-kun! Is your mission over? Can we go raise a ruckus now? Has Sei been a pain in the ass? Can you tell me what's going on? Can-..”

The girl was assaulting them with a barrage of questions again and Sei, realizing one of them was about him, butted in and interrupted her. “Hey, munchkin. Just wait a minute!” The two were beginning to butt heads, and it wasn't one-sided, for sure. She immediately looked at him with a scowl. “Go make out with a hacksaw, Mr. Ladies-Man!” Hitoshi was getting frustrated in the ongoing war between Sei and Rui. “You two! Not again!” It would be a chore just to keep the two from killing each other while they were all in the same place. Tarou shared in Hitoshi's frustration. “You know, this is why I seldom venture out of the company of the other mages.”

Umi didn't like their complaining and was planning to make them away of it. “Like you have anything to complain about! You've been out there, having all kinds of fun! The rest of us have been stuck here in class! PSH!” Hitoshi, still wanting to change the mood of this conversation, spoke of what they'd been doing. “While it's very true that we haven't been studying, but I don't know much out bodies are appreciating all this running around and climbing.” He was hoping that his joking attitude would brighten up Rui and keep her from arguing with any of them any further.

Much to his delight, she immediately brightened up, getting a big smile on her face. “That's right! Where are ya off to next? No one has any clue what you guys are doin' out there, and I know you're too big of a goody two-shoes to tell me. But...I've gotta know!” Tarou, trying to give her something for the ridiculous amount of enthusiasm she had, spoke about their next destination. “Well, if such enthusiasm warrants an answer, we are going to the Seiryuu Shrine...and no, you can't come with us. This is risky enough without bringing any underclassmen with us.”

“Oh, you're no fun” said Rui, still keeping her chin up. You're headed to the shrine, eh? Don't go falling under they're spell now! Those creepy mikos can be real tricky!” She almost seemed like she was joking, but it made Hitoshi wonder. His curiosity peaking, he asked her if she actually knew anything about the shrine and the maidens over there. Her face got a little serious as she began to speak about a rumor she'd heard. “Oh nothing! It's just a rumor some of us throw around. I've gone, err...exploring up there a few times. The shrine maidens always look like they're in some kinda weird trance.”

She took a moment to pause, thinking about how serious Hitoshi had been just now, which made her worry a little. “Wait...you don't think there really IS some kinda spell, right? Is that what you're investigating? Are you saving them from a spell? Are you trying to stop some big..” Hitoshi saw another barrage of questions coming, so he immediately spoke forward. “I dunno, Rui! Your guess is as good as your, at this point of things. However, what do you mean by they were in a 'trance'?” It seemed like she did know a little, and they needed to know as much as they could.

Rui seemed a little confused. They were getting all worked up over some stupid rumor. “Chill out, guys. It's just a rumor. I just thought it was a little weird how they act normal when you talk to them, but act all goofy and aloof when they don't think anyone is watching them.” Tarou came into the conversation, trying to lighten the mood and realizing that acting goofy has nothing to do with any sort of spell. “You've got a lot to learn about how spells work, Rui-chan. Don't you think maybe they were just tired or bored or something?”

Almost seeming to take offense to this, she snapped back at Tarou about what she'd seen. “NO! There was serious something weird about them. I mean...sure, it could have been nothing, but I'm not that stupid! If you guys are going there, something must be up!” The situation was going nowhere. Rui was getting ready to argue with them, once again. Hitoshi, thinking he was the only one who could calm her down, said “Relax! If something is up, you know that I will get to the bottom of it. We master pranksters have a way of telling when someone else is up to something, right?”

Sei, not realizing that he was incidentally pushing the conversation to a worse position, was painfully honest. “Hitoshi, are you actually suggesting that we pay any heed to what this goofball has to say about our mission? You eat way too much sugar and get some weird ideas in your head, kid.” Rui, getting angry again, reaching into her pocket and launched some food at Sei's head. “You want sugar! Here, take some, jerk!” Sei nearly got plastered by the three Mochi, small, circular cookies, that Rui had launched at him. “Hey! C-Cut it out!”

The three of them picked up the food as Tarou expressed his opinion on this matter, not completely ruling out Rui's suspicions. “Very well, then. If there is some sort of enchantment present that's having an influence on the shrine maidens, I will seek it out. In the meantime, though, just let it go, Rui-chan.” Rui was getting a little discouraged about all of this. She didn't think anyone was believing her about all of this “trance” stuff. She turned to Hitoshi for support. “You believe me, don't you? Couldn't I be right about all this? Don't you think it's strange?”

Providing her with a bit of support, just as she needed, he nodded towards her. “I have no reason to doubt you, Rui. We'll stay on our toes, and Tarou'll get to the bottom of the spell if it's there. You've been a big help by filling us in.” Rui let out a grin as the three of them turned and left. After thinking about everything they'd just learned, they realized that where they were going could be quiet dangerous, more than they had realized. Mikos that trained harder than the students. Strange bridges between worlds. Trances? They spoke with one another and turned, thinking they needed to go back to see if Moriko could help prepare them.