- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

The trio come back and have a very confusing conversation with Principal Ayuka...

After leaving the mountain, the trio of students were amazed at how things were now. On their way back to the academy, they ran into a few pairs of monsters in the fields between the mountain and academy, and the difference between now and before was tremendous. After having fought off everything in the mountain, the monsters here in the field were cake. They'd hardly spent any effort at all in disposing of the monsters. They were sure of one thing, by far. They were definitely a lot stronger now than they were when they'd first headed out on this mission.

As they came back into the academy, everything seemed about the same. The hole-digger was still digging holes. The silver-haired girl was still walking by the pool. No doubt still considering a swim in the middle of the day. They could see Rui still over by the pool, and Hiromi and Umi were, no doubt, still by the front doors of campus and the lake, respectively. They took the campus at a fast pace, quickly reaching the side door of the main building, heading through it, and up the stairwell on the inside, heading straight for Ayuka's Office, on the second floor.

Showing Hitoshi just how strongly she was feeling, at that moment, that shy girl from before was still nervously pacing around the halls, red in the face. Hitoshi grinned a little as their eyes met, and then the three of them proceeded into the Principal's Office. They went in, expecting to make a simple report and find out what they needed to about these mysterious crystals and Lady Hosoki. Instead, they walked into the room, seeing a Death Glare being thrown at them from Ayuka's emerald-colored eyes. “Where have you been?! Do you know how worried I've been?!”

It was like walking in and seeing a stressed-out mother. But then again, Ayuka was the Principal. Some might call her the “Mother” of the academy, at that point. Trying not to bust under the pressure of what she had just told them, Hitoshi came forward and tried to explain why they were there and why they'd been gone so long. “Er...I apologize, Ayuka-sensei! We've been a little tied up with the mission you sent us out on. We're here to make a report of our findings thus far.” Almost like she'd just gone through an instant mood swing, Ayuka calmed herself down and asked them to speak, expressing that she was glad they were all okay. “Were you three able to speak with Houjo-san?”

Sticking with the conversation, Hitoshi was able to calm himself down, not under the pressure of an angry principal. “Yes, ma'am. We were able to speak with him.” Tarou then came forward to continue the conversation, not wanting the full burden on Hitoshi. “Is it Houjo's contention that the Seiryuu Shrine is, in some way, connected to the disappearances that have already taken place here.” As if following in some proper order, Sei then jumped in to talk about their next step of the mission. “Afterwards, he sent us to the top of Genbu Mountain to meet with Lady Hosoko; said she could tell us something about the shrine.”

After hearing about what had happened, Ayuka's grin disappeared and an odd expression came to her face. It looked as if she was thinking that there was something strange or odd about what they had just told her. “That's very peculiar...” she spoke, somewhat softly. After a moment's rest, she got back to the conversation, inquiring about Lady Hosoki. “...and how is Hosoki-san? I have not seen her since I was around your age. She's a very strict woman, but remarkably wise.”

This caught Hitoshi by surprise. Ayuka had apparently not seen Lady Hosoki since she was their age, yet Lady Hosoki was around their age. It confused him, and caused him to immediately inquire. “Wait...what?” Tarou further expressed Hitoshi's vague, yet confused question. “Are you...sure you aren't thinking of someone else, Ayuka-sensei?” Finally to be the one to make a forward and blunt statement of what they were all thinking, Sei 'took his turn' for input. “Maybe you're thinking of her mother or some other person? The Hosoki we just met was no older than the three of us. Pushy as hell in a handbasket, too.”

Ayuka was suddenly caught in the surprise that they felt after hearing that the Hosoki they had just met was their own age. “Impossible! She'd probably kill me if she heard me say so, but Lady Hosoki had more wrinkles than a dirty bedsheet, and she has no children. She is elderly, and a hermit.” They were all confused about this, but Hitoshi simply continued on with the conversation, speaking more on the Hosoki they had met. “Well, not anymore, apparently. She was the only one up there, and she knew a lot about the shrine. It was just as Houjo-san said she would.”

Tarou continued the conversation, informing Ayuka of the instructions they had been given, by this Hosoki person. “She also gave us some instructions. She wants the three of us to go to the shrine for ourselves. She spoke of the shrine maidens, whom are working to revive some forgotten deity...” “...A deity she called the Red Queen, as funny as the name may sound” added Sei, the three of them still 'taking turns' with talking. “She went on about how once this deity is revived, the disappearances would suddenly stop. She, however, did not explain how this would come to pass.”

Hitoshi collected the three crystal-like objects and presented them to Ayuka, speaking of how she'd given them to the three of them and that the mikos would recognize them and know what the three of them were at the shrine for. Ayuka simply sighed and expressed her concern with how confusing all of this was sounding, to her. “This doesn't many any sense...The shrine has some connection to the disappearances, Lady Hosoki is spontaneously young again, and these...crystals?” She took a pause, trying to contemplate all of this, before she looked at them, more sternly, with new orders.

“Alright, Hitoshi, go to the shrine as planned. However, go prepared. Do not leave this academy until you are positive that you're ready for absolutely anything. You should also ask the other students what they know about all this. Some of them have spent time at that shrine. I smell a rat. Be very careful. If anything gets suspicious, you come right back her and report to me.” Hitoshi nodded to his principal. “Understood” The three of them then turned to leave her office and head out into campus to collect information and prepare themselves for what may lie ahead for them.