- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

The trio meet up with a young woman whom identifies as Lady Hosoki, and finds out a bit of interesting information, as well as receiving some mysterious parting gifts...

The woman turned around and showed off her robes as she had a surprised look on her face. She looked fairly young, with somewhat pale skin and eyes as purple as the robes she wore. Her jet-black hair moved in the wind as her entire body looked startled at the fact that she was no longer alone, up there on the top of the mountain. It almost looked like she was about to jump backwards and fall down the side upon seeing them. Her had quickly got readjusted as she came to terms with what she'd just seen and spoke to the three students who now stood before her.

“W-what in the world?!” she exclaimed, showing that the surprise on her face was clearly not for show. She was obviously surprised to see anyone that high on the mountain. “Students from the academy...wandering all the way up here on Genbu Mountain?!” They were just as surprised as she was, however. When Old Man Houjo was talking about this “Lady Hosoki”, they were expecting her to be relatively old, like he was. This woman looked about the same age as the three of them. Surely this wasn't this wise woman that he spoke of.

After coping, Hitoshi came forward and began the conversation, trying to confirm who she was. “Umm...you're Lady Hosoki, correct?” This got a rather hostile reaction out of this woman. Her surprised look quickly changed into an angry look as she barked orders at them. “..and who wants to know?! You clowns have no business being up here! Now, go back down to the base of the mountain to train like good little students!” This woman was definitely a pistol. They'd known her less than a minute and had already seen drastic mood swings.

Tarou, stepping forward, continued the conversation, trying to keep this seemingly-temperamental woman in the talking mood. “Please forgive us. We do not intend to intrude, but we were sent here on an urgent mission regarding a chain of disappearances at our academy over these past years. We've been told that the only person whom can help us is known as “Lady Hosoki”. Are you this person?” This sparked a reaction out of the woman, as if she was shocked to hear what he was telling her. Her expression soon turned into a grin and she suddenly became a chatterbox with them.

Staring them down, she spoke, confirming there suspicions. “Well, well...is that so? You three know something about all that, huh? Yep, I'm the one and only Lady Hosoki!” Sei, not thinking, threw out a rather rude statement towards the woman whom had just identified herself as the one they had been seeking out. “...and here I was, expecting you to be some wrinkly, aged ghast. I'm pleasantly surprised! Hermit or not, it's a pleasure to meet such a beautiful girl.” This got a weird reaction out of all four of them. Sei really didn't know when to stop the bravado. Even Ms. Hosoki winced and got a strange look on her face.

Trying to look past the bravado, she decided to start asking the three of them a question. “Uhh...sure. Now, just who was it that told you that I knew something about the sp-...the disappearances?” Hitoshi stepped forward again, trying to have another calm take at the conversation. “You don't know who it was? It was Old Man Houjou. I, personally, don't think that this cycle of mysterious events is common knowledge. You two are the only people around who seem to know anything about it.” The woman's face turned to a smile as she realized who clued them in on her knowledge of the disappearances.

It almost sounded like she was amused when she found out. “The nasty old man who lives in that cabin on the beach? Fufufu...this does not surprise me one bit. That old nut has no idea what he's getting himself into. I'll have to thank him for sending you my way.” Interrupting her little amusement with Houjo, Tarou spoke more about what they'd learned. “He told us that the Seiryuu Shrine might be connected to a string of disappearances that have taken place at our academy for quite a few years now. I take it you are well away of what we speak?”

The woman had a straight look on her face, not surprised nor shocked at what they had said. “So, he said all that? I suppose that he didn't know any specific details and sent you here to figure them out. Just who are you, hmm?” Her interest seemed to pique in who they were, other than people from the academy. Sei, continuing the conversation for introductions with a witty comment, spoke up. “You can just call me Sei. The fidgety one is Tarou and that spunky guy right there is Hitoshi.” Completely ignoring their names, she immediately went back to the idea of the Shrine being connected to the disappearances.

“Hmph, of course not! Don't you spread slander about our shrine!” Hitoshi winced at what she had said and was in a bit of disbelief. The maidens, or “Mikos” of the Shrine didn't look or dress anything like what she currently had on. He was a little skeptical to think that she was actually from the shrine, as was painfully apparent in his speech. “OUR shrine? No disrespect or anything, but you don't look much like a miko to me.” This made her wince a little as well, as if she didn't know what to say or she'd stumbled in her train of thoughts. “Err...um...I guess I'm just what you'd call a frequent visitor. I help them in the great mission of the shrine. Think of me as the Seiryuu Shrine's personal ambassador!”

Tarou took no time in hurrying along their discussion, trying to find out what he could. Then please...we've come a long way in search of any information you can give us pertaining to these mysterious disappearances. Just what is going on?” Hosoki stopped for a moment to think. “Well, I suppose I could tell you...” She stopped speaking, thinking further, and then suddenly bringing a huge smile to her face. “....no, no! I think it would be more appropriate at this point for you to see for yourselves. Don't you think so? Come to the Seiryuu Shrine. We will explain everything.”

Sei wasn't sure what to make of this situation. They climbed all the way up the mountain, just to get re-directed towards the Shrine? Was there some reason she couldn't just tell them now? “Are you really sure about that? We don't want to intrude or anything...not that your offer doesn't tempt me. Can you not just give us the low-down up here? You know...make the climb feel worth it?” This seemed to set off Ms. Hosoki, and she insisted on their trip to the academy. “Actions speak a lot louder than words!” she barked. “If you're not prepared to dive into a mystery, you should just head back to your academy and mind your business!”

Suddenly walking forward, she placed three small crystals in each of their hands. Wearing a smile and having a suddenly happy expression and tone of voice, she spoke out. “Here you go! One for each of you!” Hitoshi was the first to be shocked and inquire about what these small crystal-like objects were. “...and just what are these things for?” The woman wore a grin on her face and spoke of these as some sort of 'keys' for the people at the shrine. “I was actually going to deliver these to the shrine myself, but if you take them with you, they'll know why you're there. They shall be your keys to knowing the truth about this mystery of yours.”

Tarou stared down at the crystals, a strange look coming to his face. Of the three of them, he was the first to start questioning the objects, feeling and sensing for their true purpose. “These crystals...I can sense some sort of blank emptiness within them. May I ask what their purpose is?” Hosoki suddenly re-spoke a statement and spoke of a little information about these disappearances. “Like I said, they're your keys to learning the truth. Listen very carefully – only when the Red Queen is resurrected can the disappearances stop. These crystals will aid in that goal.”

She almost seemed to sigh at the mentioning of this “Red Queen” person. “The Red Queen is an ancient deity that no one outside the shrine seems to be able to remember. However, she has a difficult time being able to exist in this universe. It's the mission of the shrine to revive her, here, and we absolutely must succeed! She is our everything. Without her, your little chain of disappearances will keep continuing, on and on.”

Hitoshi questioned the meaning behind her words, not even bothering to second-guess the sudden talk about ancient deities. “...but what's the cause of the disappearances in the first place? How is reviving some ancient deity a solution? Just what is going on here?!” Ms. Hosoki, almost seeming to avoid his question, started running off, down the path towards the base of the mountain. On her way down, she spoke to them, saying that everything would become clear once they had reached the shrine. “Now get going! I have some errands to runs and then I'll meet you there. See you!”

This situation was far from normal, and far from comfortable. The three of them watched as Lady Hosoki left their area of the mountain and Tarou spoke up. “Hitoshi, this does not feel right.” Sei continued, expressing a concern that Houjo had given them. “Didn't that old dude at the beach say for us to stay away from the shrine?” Sighing again, Hitoshi tried to think of what he could say, and what they should do. “Well, yeah, but he also told us that the only way were going to get anywhere in this investigation was to listen to Lady Hosoki. So, I guess we're heading to the Seiryuu Shrine.”

The three of them thought long and hard on what had just happened and began to make their way down the path, heading back down the mountain...