- Text Size +

“Fourth of an inch taller and a few pounds heavier, Mrs. Peterson.  Same goes for you too Mr. Harrison.  Looks like you two are even lifting a little more and running further,” the tech said as he looked at the charts.  He didn’t even make an effort to look at us.  Ben frowned when the tech dismissed us.

“We’re growing again,” Ben said as we walked toward our dorms.  “I thought I was just sore from the workouts.  Damn I hate myself.”

“I don’t know I’m a few inches shy of being runway ready.  This keeps up, my supermodel fantasies will come true,” I said sarcastically and Ben rolls his eyes.  I give Ben credit, he wasn’t exactly on the short side like I was when he first got here but now he towers over the majority of the white coats.

“Yeah and my NBA fantasies could come true now if I actually played basketball.  This keeps up; I won’t have to jump to make a slam dunk.  Eat your heart out Michael Jordon,” Ben said in an equally sarcastic tone that caused a laugh to escape my lips.  “Seriously Sarah, do you have pains in your joints?  I don’t remember growing pains much but I think that’s what it is,” Ben then said as we walked the generic white halls.

“As a matter of fact, I do,” I answered him honestly.  Ben is right, there was been a lot of joint pain before the small spurts but lately the pain has worsen.  The techs never ask us how we’re feeling; all they care about is blood work and measurements.   God I hate this place!

Before we got to the dorm, a man dressed in a military uniform approached us.  He had an envelope in his hand.  He was highly decorated to be dealing with peons like me and Ben that’s for sure.

“Benjamin Harrison and Sarah Peterson,” the man in the fancy smancy military uniform addressed us.  I don’t know if it’s just me but lately I noticed a certain confidence in Ben that he never had when he first came here.  Ben stood taller than most of the men in this place including Mr. Military Man who I guess has to be a little north of six feet himself but still not as big and tall as Ben.

“It’s Ben Harrison but since I don’t care too much for you people it is Mr. Harrison to you sir,” Ben said as I bit back a laugh.  Mr. Military didn’t know what to say except that his demeanor slightly cracked into a smile.

“Mr. Harrison, I’m here to give you and Mrs. Peterson some good news.  Seems you two have been granted visitations with your spouses,” Mr. Military tells us who we later find out is General Jonathon Hawks.

“Just our spouses?  What about our kids?  I have two boys and Ben has a son?”  I tell the uniform.

“That’s all the President is allowing.  The CDC is not sure if this is a contagion and since all the workers here seem unaffected we feel that it is time you get to see your spouses,” General Hawks explains.

“It’s not airborne whatever it is,” I said.

“Mrs. Peterson, you know we can’t be too careful.  Your spouses are waiting in the cafeteria,” General Hawks said as he handed us the envelope and walked away.  Ben opens the envelope to find two smaller envelopes, one addressed to each of us.  I open mine to find Zack and Harry’s school pictures.  It’s amazing how much kids can change in three months.  Next thing I know a strong long arm pulls me close to an equally tall strong frame.  Tears escaped my eyes while Ben held me in a half hug.  He had been crying too when he saw the picture of his ten year old autistic son, Ryan.  This reunion is going to be a bitter sweet one.

Ben and I walk into the cafeteria.  A small rotund woman approaches Ben.  She has red curly hair and a kind face.  Immediately green eyes lights up with joy at the sight of my new friend.

“Benny!  Oh my God it’s so great to see you!” she squealed as she jumped up into Ben’s arms.  Ben’s eyes lit up as she took her into his very strong and very muscular arms.  The woman appeared to be about late thirties to mid-forties.  This must be the infamous Judith I have been hearing so much about.  Looks wise she might have suited the old Ben to a T but new Ben and her made an odd pair despite the love they showed to one another.

“Judy, I miss you so much.  I‘m just happy to see that you recognize me.  I wasn’t sure if you would know it was me.  I’ve changed so much,” Ben said as he looked down at his wife.

“Oh Benny!  You know that I can pick you out from any crowd no matter how good you look,” Judith said as she gave Ben a wink.  “You do look great!  Guess I don’t have sneak glances at the pool boy anymore,” Judith said and Ben laughed.  This was the happiest I have ever seen him.  Ben bends over and gives her a hug.  I wish I had this with Richard.

“I want you to meet my friend honey.  This is Sarah Peterson,” Ben introduces me to his loving wife.  For the first time in a long time I had to get used to looking down at people.  Being petite I rarely had that luxury but here I was looking down slightly at a woman I would’ve normally had to look slightly up at.

“Please to meet you,” Judith said as she took my hand and gave me a kind smile.  I could tell that no matter how much Ben changes, Judith will always have a place in his heart. 

“Call me Judy,” she tells me with a sincere smile.

I spotted Richard across the room but he didn’t recognize me like Judith did with Ben.  Richard just stared at my much longer legs and curvy new frame.  Even the track suit couldn’t completely hide what was underneath, a body I used to only dream about having.  Ben and I both have minimal body fat although I think mine went to my chest.  My face even slightly changed.  I didn’t have that adorable girl next door face.  I actually have cheekbones now.  I looked and felt like a siren.

“Couldn’t stare, could you,” I said and Richard’s jaw dropped as I approach the table.  “It’s your new and improved wife complete with a killer bod.”

“Sarah?  Oh my God, you’re taller,” was all my husband could say.  Richard was never one for tall women.  He liked his women a little on the petite side which is why I think that’s what his attraction was to me.  Don’t get me wrong, Richard is a great guy but he was all about the physical aspects of a relationship more than the loving aspects of it.  The look in his eyes told me that he didn’t like this one bit.  When he stood up, I could really notice his slight disgust lingering below the skin.  I wasn’t looking up at him much.  Richard maintained his façade of a happy and loving husband but I could just visualize the divorce papers in his hand.  This is probably going to be the last time I see my husband. 

Richard looked even more disgusted when he watched me eat the nasty slop I had been served.  I could tell there was a snide comment just begging to escape his lips but I didn’t care, I was hungry.  I began to miss Ben’s companionship.  I envied the way Judith smiled at her husband as he shoveled the slop into his mouth.  They both laughed when Ben got some on his chin.  Then I saw something I’d never see Richard do in a million years, Ben reached over and took his wife’s hand, planting a loving kiss on her knuckles.  Watching Ben and Judith made my time with Richard tolerable to say the least.  I was more than happy to see Richard go but I didn’t like the heartbreak in Ben’s eyes when he had to say good-bye to his wonderful loving wife.

 

The following day Ben and I fell into our usual routine.  There are no days off for freaks of nature.  We did our usual gym workouts despite the growing soreness in our joints.  Ben is right about one thing, the soreness seems to be hitting around the growth plates.  It’s also hard to gauge our growth with the type of elastic stretchy clothes they gave us to wear but today seemed unusual for some reason.  Everything seemed lower than normal, it wasn’t until Ben hit his head on the doorjam did we realize why we felt so off.  The tech urged us to bypass the treadmill and go straight to the scale.  Ben now stood six foot eight inches tall and I was five foot ten.  We have grown nearly three inches during our eight hours of sleep!