- Text Size +
Chapter 8

It wasn’t for some time that we realized how many blessings we had received that day.

I discovered the next one later that day.  I was looking up at Sarah as she wiped down the top of the hangar (it gave her something to do) when I realized that the skirt she was wearing came to the same place on her thigh as it had when she got dressed.  I glanced at the rest of her clothing.  The fit hadn’t changed on anything.

“Sarah,” I said, “Honey, I think you’ve quit growing.”

Sarah looked down at me.  “Don’t tease me,” she said.  “I’m only just able to hear you again and you --”

Then she made out the look on my face -- no easy thing at her height -- and realized I meant what I said.

Sarah ran around to the end of the hangar, her footfalls causing tremors through the ground.  She stood as I had seen her do since the days of the barn, gauging her height against the building.  It came to her midriff, along those impeccable abs.

Sarah’s face lit up, first with shock, then joy.  “Wesley!” she said, “You’re right!  You’re right!  I’m the same height I was this morning!  “I’ve stopped growing!”

Gingerly she scooped me up on a fingertip and pressed me to her cheek.  I had to watch out; the tears were starting to flow, and one could wash me away.

“Oh, thank you, God!” Sarah said.  “I’ve finally stopped growing!”

It was a few weeks later when Sarah realized that she had again stopped menstruating.  We both suspected what it was, but at one level didn’t dare to believe it.  Still, we had a doctor out to check.

“That is the most amazing thing,” the doctor said after the exam.  “Mr. Bell, your wife is pregnant.” He had to tell me; I was the only roughly normal-sized human Sarah could hear.

The doctor, who stood nearly six feet tall, looked up at me.  “How in the world did you manage it?”

I shrugged my now massive shoulders.  “The grace of God,” I said.

As Sarah’s pregnancy progressed, we both were gripped with fears.  How big would the baby be?  Would Sarah be the only one capable of dealing with it?  And, what if Sarah had stopped growing only because of the pregnancy?  What if the growing returned again after the baby was born?

Soon,  Sarah’s breasts began to fill, first with colustrum, then with milk.  As her nipples began to produce, she playfully encouraged me to drink -- I was far too small to truly suckle -- and I did drink.

To my astonishment, by the next morning I was 12 feet tall.  Sarah’s milk made me grow, and far faster than Sarah herself had been.

Sarah and I both knew what that could mean for us.  Despite the fact that it meant abandoning all pretense of  a normal life, I began to drink regularly from her breasts.  Soon, I was big enough to truly suckle from them.

Ultimately, there was a ceiling to how big I could get.  I stopped growing at 186 feet, a little more than half of Sarah’s titanic height.

The doctor told us Sarah was going to have a girl, and projected her birth length at 30 feet.  While that’s huge to a normal-sized person, it was only the equivalent of a foot long to me, and about 6 inches to Sarah.  I would be in charge of child care, at least until the baby was big enough for Sarah to take part.

Our little girl -- little to us, anyway -- was born Jan. 1.  We named her Faith Hope Bell.  She was 31 feet, 6 inches long at birth.

Sarah didn’t start growing after Faith was born.  We were thankful for that blessing, too.

Sarah’s milk did its job.  Faith grew rapidly.  In six months, she was 70 feet long, and becoming quite an armful for me.  Fortunately, she was now big enough for her mom to pick up the slack.

Meanwhile, after observing what had happened with me, and with Sarah producing far more milk than Faith needed, we sold temporary rights to Sarah’s milk to a pharmaceutical company.  They quickly realized that the nilk could be used to end some forms of midgetism, even in people who were fully grown.  The resulting hormones were used with great effect.

There were even a few folks who also brought some of Sarah’s milk because they wanted to be giants.  We agreed, seeing the advantages of building a small society -- a community, if you will -- of giants to work with.

Today there are 23 of us.  The tallest woman after Sarah is 252 feet.  The tallest man after me is 161 feet.

However, I think Faith may wind up being taller than her mom.  The girl is growing like a weed -- or a giant sequoia.  At age 10, she’s hit 200 feet tall.

The doctors also tell us our lifespans will likely be in the tens of thousands of years.  Each year, a few more people join our community.  By the time our lives are over, Sarah will have had the chance to build the world’s biggest community in several senses of the word.  It’s a role she was born for -- or, should I say, chosen for?

THE END