- Text Size +

Lorraine followed Garth out of the city and onto St. Almo's Fields. Garth occasionally kept turning his head around to make sure that the blonde was still following her, but he knew he didn't have too. He could easily catch her if she decided to leave. And she knew that.

“Garth, what did I do wrong?” Lorraine asked. “I honestly don't have any idea.”

“I already told you,” Brokers replied. “I don't know. All I know is that Jennifer Stark told me to fetch you and I'm doing just that. Don't ask that question again.”

The two of them went on silently. Fortunately, the Giant Relations Person's office was close, so Lorraine didn't have to endure the awkwardness for too long. The Metal Man lead her inside and to the first room on the right. Jennifer Stark was sitting at her desk, apparently writing something. Garth flew over Ms. Pruess' head and went out to a different room. For a moment, the blonde stood there, silently, and then, sighed and sat down in the sole chair in front of the desk.

“Well, well,” Jennifer Stark said, without looking up from her work. “If it isn't Lorraine Pruess. Back in my office, yet again.”

“And a fine, 'how do you do' to you, too,” Lorraine said, bitterly.

“Don't give me sass,” Jennifer said, looking up at her very sternly. “Believe me, I'm not happy about this meeting either. I have quite a lot of things that I'd rather be doing than constantly having to bring you here in my office.”

“Then why do you insist on bringing me here?” The blonde asked.

“Because you refuse to behave yourself!” The Giant Relations Person snapped. “If you, for once in your life, actually listened to me, we wouldn't have these little 'meetings' of ours and everyone would be happy. Unfortunately, you seem to prefer to cause trouble.”

Lorraine only turned her nose up, indignantly.

“Honestly, Lorraine,” Jennifer continued. “You're the only one that has a problem with me. Valerie and Trent all do as I ask of them, and both of them seem to be quite happy with the way I operate things. I can't even begin to comprehend the amount of times you've been in here, but I could probably count the number of times that those two have been called here, combined at that, on one hand.”

“Your point being?” Lorraine asked.

“When they do what I ask, they don't get in trouble.” The Relations Person said. “I don't think I'm asking a lot of you. It's only a few simple things, and...”

“A few!?” Ms. Pruess protested. “You have restrictions on everything! Where we can go, when we can go, what we can look at, what we can't look at. You don't even let us go to events being held at Tectelphia! No New Year's Eve parties in downtown, no seeing parades. You keep separating us from the people and then you expect the relationships to just fix themselves.”

“Because it's dangerous!” Jennifer snapped, emphasizing 'dangerous' with a fist pound to her desk. “Do you have any idea how many people attend those things? Hundreds and thousands! Good grief, Lorraine, do you know how many of them might get hurt if you three were to accidentally slip up?”

“Well, I'm glad you have faith in us,” Lorraine sighed.

“Don't give me that.” Ms. Stark said. “You don't understand. I'm not going to put an untold amount of lives at risk just so you can watch a parade. You have a TV in your home, you can watch it there.”

“You're locking us up, Jennifer,” Lorraine replied. “A lot of us giants want to live WITH the normal people. But, thanks to you, we can't do that. We're separated from them and that enforces this notion that we HAVE to be separated.”

“Open you eyes, Lorraine!” Jennifer said, disbelievingly. “Do you know how tall you are?”

Lorraine was quiet.

“Answer me, that was a serious question.”

“Of course I do,” Ms. Pruess said, annoyed. “I'm a hundred and fifty feet. By their standards anyway. I'm five ten according to our scale.”

“That's correct,” Jennifer nodded. “Now, considering that the average person is around five ten feet, and the average size of a building in Tectelphia is about 135 feet, there's a problem. You're a giant, Lorraine! Just like I am, and just like Valerie is and just like Trent is. Like it or not, you are different than the general population. A wrong move can put hundreds of lives at risk. You might, heaven forbid, step on somebody, or knock over a building at your size. Therefore, there is good reason why I must do some 'separating', a word you love to use.”

“I get all of that, Jennifer,” Lorraine said. “But, the problem is keeping us away isn't going to change anything. We need exposure, we need interaction, we need people to know us. If you keep us at bay people won't know us PERSONALLY and they'll just think that we're some dangerous freaks. Once they get to actually know us they won't think that and things will change. I know it and you know it. You're way of doing things won't change anything!”

“It will and it has,” Ms. Stark countered. “Only a few years ago, you couldn't even enter Tectelphia to go on your little 'strolls', because there was no path to 'stroll' down. Thanks to my efforts, there is such a thing, now, and, more over, people are actually okay with it. Not nearly as much as I'd like them to be, but at least every 'stroll' you take doesn't result in them calling the military. As used to be the case. Face it, no matter how much you don't like it, my way works. Your way will be counter productive when things start to get broken. I don't know how much damage you alone have caused.”

“Oh, please, I don't do that badly,” Lorraine pouted.

“Really?” Jennifer asked, bitterly. “Then perhaps you'd like to tell me why you decided to shear off a satellite dish from a rooftop today?”

“What in the world is a 'satellite dish'?” Lorraine asked. “I didn't touch any 'dishes' today,”

“Those appliances on the roof of the Tectelphia News Station, Lorriane,” Jennifer explained, impatiently.

“Ah, those.” Lorraine understood. “Oh, please, that was just an accident.”

“An accident costing a pretty penny.” The Giant Relations Person said.

“Penny?” The blonde asked. “Who's 'Penny'?”

“Nevermind,” Jennifer said, exasperated. “The point is that your little 'accident' cost a lot of money and could have hurt somebody. A satellite dish is quite large and one falling from the height that it did could have easily killed somebody.”

“Well, it didn't, did it?” Lorraine said.

“Whether it did, or didn't, is not the point and you know that!” Ms. Stark snapped. “The mere fact that it could is all that matters.”

“Well, it was just one of them,” Ms. Pruess said. “I doubt it matters THAT much. They have so many, I'm sure one of them will work.”

“Then,” Jennifer moved on. “We have an incident with a family van.”

“Van? What van?” Lorraine asked, confused.

“A family reported to the police that their new white van was completely destroyed,” The Relations Person explained. “An investigation revealed several witnesses claiming that a giant blonde in a black knee dress and white blouse had picked it up and threw it to the ground.”

“I most certainly did not!” Lorraine protested. “It slipped from my hand! It was an accident!”

“Oh? Had another one, have we?”

“I...I...” Ms. Pruess tried to make a come back.

“Why did you even pick it up?” Jennifer asked. “You know that you are not to touch something like a car.”

“But, it was on a Giant Only street!” Lorraine pointed out. “I just assumed it was empty!”

“Oh, so you didn't bother to check if anybody was in it, then?” Ms. Stark asked.

“I...I didn't say that...” Lorraine shifted in her seat, uncomfortable.

“Well...did you?” Jennifer pressed.

“I...well, no, but...”

“But what?”

“It...it was on one of our streets...”

“So that means that you can just pick random things up?” Ms. Stark asked. “If you see a police car there, would you just pick that up? What about a construction vehicle? Did that van being on one of 'our' streets mean that it belonged to you.”

“Well, why was it there then!?” Lorraine cried, frustrated. “The people know not to drive on our streets!”

“For your information,” Jennifer said. “The family was just visiting a relative. That means, they WERE NOT from Tectelphia and didn't know.”

Lorraine slumped in her chair.

“You see what I mean?” The Giant Relations Person said. “Do you see what you do? You just assume things. All the time you just 'assume', and every time you do it bites my in the butt! Because I'm the one that has to deal with the fallout! Every mistake you make makes me look bad, makes people more afraid, makes my job harder, which, obviously, makes me frustrated, and when I get frustrated, I get irritable. You 'accidents' cause me a lot of problems, and I have to clean up your messes, and you never show me any damn respect and that's why I'm so short with you all of the time! Because you never listen!”

Lorraine only continued to slump.

“How many times have I told you not to go peeking through window, hm?” Jennifer asked.

“I don't know,” Lorraine said.

“I don't either,” Ms. Stark replied. “But it's been a lot of times. Yet, you continue to do it. And, today, it just so happened to result in a bank being robbed.”

“What?”

“Yes, the bank you bothered was robbed,” The Giant Relations Person explained. “Thanks to your little diversion, a few citizens were able to steal from the cash drawers. Not to mention a building across the street now has a gaping hole in it thanks to your carelessness.”

Lorraine was silent.

“Why?” Jennifer asked. “At least tell me why you insist on blatantly disregarding me. I deserve that much.”

“I just wanted to know what was in it,” Ms. Pruess said. “There's so much about their lives that fascinate me, Jennifer. All of those sights. There's a beautiful theater in Tectelphia and I'm simply dying to know what the inside of it looks. Each building is different and something new to behold. Their lives are so much different from ours, their homes so much different from ours. I just want to know what their world is like. Is that so bad?”

“Raymond, to my knowledge, has offered to take pictures for you,” Jennifer said.

“But that's not enough!” Lorraine said. “It's one thing to see a picture, but quite another to see it for yourself! What would you say to somebody who's never seen a sunset? Would you just some them some measly picture or would you show them the real thing?”

“Look, I'm sorry,” Ms. Stark said. “But that will have to do. I can't have you continue peeking into buildings. Especially when it results in robberies and damages to buildings. You have to be very careful in Tectelphia, and it's not a place for you to get down on your hands and knees to peer into a window. Your hair alone caused damage to several cars when it turned them all on their sides.”

Lorraine slumped again.

“Now, I'm running out of patience,” Jennifer continued. “In fact, I think it's safe to say I have lost my patience. I'm done with all of these meetings we keep having. You get your act together or I'm putting you under house arrest.”

Ms. Pruess mumbled bitterly to herself at this. There was one special function with every house of a giant person. They were all linked back to a special software on Jennifer Stark's terminal in her office. If you acted up, Garth would arrive and put you in your house. Then, the Giant Relations Person would activate the lock down of the house, sealing the doors and windows, trapping the giant person in their house. The giant person was also forced to wear ankle bracelet on their leg. If they broke out of the perimeter (if they could break out, the windows were reinforced and the doors strong) a shock would go through them. In addition to shutting down the muscles in their legs, it hurt plenty. Not only that, but breaching the house set off an alarm built into Garth's internal system, causing him to arrive shortly after. If you were good, you could still have visitors. If you caused trouble, no one was allowed to see you. Such measures had rarely been implemented, fortunately. Lorraine Pruess had, in fact, been placed under house arrest for a week once. It had been utterly boring and dreadful. Visits from Valerie and Raymond had helped, but had still been horrible. During the episode, Lorraine couldn't help but wonder who would put Jennifer under house arrest if she were to act up? Valerie had suggested that, in that case, Garth would probably implement it on her.

“I'm giving you one more chance.” Jennifer said. “I suggest you take it. No more peeking in buildings, no more picking up things that aren't yours, no more touching things that aren't yours.”

Lorraine sighed. What's the point of going to the city then, she thought, incredulously.

“Now, we're done. If you don't mind, I have work to do,” Jennifer finished.

Without a word, Lorraine Pruess stood up and sulked out of the room. Garth escorted her to the door.

“This goes without saying,” He said to her. “But I'll be watching you to make sure that you behave. Don't let me catch you causing trouble, or there'll be trouble. Understand?”

“Y...yes, of course, Garth,” Lorraine said, nervously.

“I don't like having to be the 'bad guy',” Garth continued. “But, Ms. Stark's rules are there for a reason, and I, as well as many of the giants, think they're necessary and as long as that's the case, I WILL enforce them. So, just do what she asks and there won't be any issue, comprende?”

“Uh huh,” Lorraine nodded, timidly.

“Good,” Garth said. “Then have a good day.”

The Metal Man again flew over her head and over towards the city. Lorraine watched him leave and then sighed deeply as if all of the hope in life had been drained out of her. What was the whole point in going to the city if you couldn't look at things or touch things? Where was the experience? Jennifer may as well just ban her from Tectelphia all together, though she'd be damned if she was going to slip her the idea.

Then, she remembered Trent and Valerie. They had agreed to accompany her for the night. With that thought, Lorraine's spirits lifted again. She was going to have fun with them, no matter what. She wasn't going to let Jennifer Stark ruin her good evening, oh no.

So, the blonde walked back towards Tectelphia, wondering where her two friends had gone off to.