- Text Size +

Like any city, Tectelphia had its streetside musicians that played for change. A few of them made a decent amount of money doing it, at least enough to pay the rent at their apartment and keep themselves fed, even if barely. There were saxophones, flutes, guitarists, banjoos, all kinds of instruments to fill the streets. Tectelphia also had a violinist, who got a few more dollars than most street musicians. And for good reason: he was blind.

Charles Anders was a peculiar young man. He didn't wear the greatest attire, clearly fitting the image of the lower class, and, where ever he went, he went bare foot. Whether or not he was too poor to own shoes or he just chose not to wear them was something the people of his apartment complex wondered. He didn't wear “blind” sunglasses, either, his useless eyes seeming to move on their own in all directions. He also had no guide stick, or dog to navigate with. Instead, he relied on the bow of his violin to feel around town. Indeed, he was quite the stranger to many people.

But...he played magnificently.

His works were moving and heartfelt. He sang occasionally during his playing, his voice matched his songs, and it gathered many to his spot. His visual condition garnered great sympathy, and people paid him a little extra (though that still was barely enough to get by). Not a lot of people knew much about him. Those who lived near him knew that he never had guests into his home, nor asking anyone to read to him a letter from a relative. Where he came from was even a mystery. He was an agreeable young man, that was for sure, but nobody really reached out for him. Nobody invited him into their home for dinner, nobody offered to assist him, though he never asked. For a blind person, he seemed incredibly independent and capable, being able to find his way around town with only the bow of his violin.

And, this day was no different. He came out of his apartment and guided himself around the city of Tectelphia, using his bow to feel his environment. People politely stepped out of his way as he went past, giving him a queer look as they went on their way, and occasionally watched to make sure that he wouldn't wander into a busy street. But, Charles was beyond such a simple mistake. He never strayed off the sidewalk when out and about. He knew it was important, of course, especially in Tectelphia, where some streets were occupied by the Giants. On those roads, he kept as close to the walls of the buildings as possible, not wanting to end up under a giant foot.

Charles had always wished he could see, of course, but, when he thought of the giants, his curiosity always grew. He had not always been blind, an accident had rendered him such, and he was aware of what the standard human being looked like. To see that same thing, but blown up to epic proportions...it had to be quite the sight to behold. He knew the troubles of living blind, but, living as a giant, to avoid destroying and stepping on things and people, not to mention convincing the legions of people that you had no intention to go and do such acts...it must be difficult for them.

As if on cue from this line of thinking, he felt the ground tremble. From earlier sounds, he knew that he had not wandered onto one of the giant's roads, but he must be near one. He heard some people begin to get nervous. He knew that people might begin to start running in fear and during that they would push him aside in their frenzy. So, Charles got against the wall and leaned against it to stay out of the way of panic.



Lorraine's eye was caught by a smaller building, which was a bank with a large front window, and eagerly stepped towards it. She was much too tall however, and had crouch down to get a better look. However, that still wasn't enough to really see inside. So, the giant blonde got down on all fours and brought her eyes down to the building, her hair draping across the street. She didn't notice it, but the hem of her skirt got caught on an electric sign. The weight of the cloth snapped the sign's support and it swung down the building, broke a window, and then finally fell onto a car, smashing it's front window. The bank was on the edge of a normal sized person's road, and her long blonde hair overturned cars, mailboxes, and a few people got caught in it, getting dragged for a few feet before freeing themselves.

The giant woman didn't really notice as she satisfied her curiosity. The people inside the bank immediately fled into bathroom as the massive brown eyes dropped into view. Some actually leaped over the teller counters. Some tried to use this moment of pandemonium to steal some greenbacks from behind the desks. Lorraine didn't really see this, for she had finally noticed that her skirt had been caught on something. Freeing herself, she stood back up, brushing herself off and continued on her way, the cars bouncing as they went.

A good bit of money was stolen from the bank, a hole in the wall of the building across the street was formed, and a few cars were now on their sides. Fortunately, her luck true, Lorraine's visit caused no injuries.

Of course, this didn't stop word of it from reaching the Giant Relations Person's ears.



Charles Anders felt the fading quakes as the giant person left. Judging by a sweet fragrance in the air, picked up by his heightened sense of smell, the blind violinist could only surmise that the passive giant was a woman. What she had just done, he would never know, but it had made quite a ruckus down the street. Not wanting to get in the way of the police department, no doubt on their way, Charles made an about face, and headed the other direction.

He went on till he eventually found the Park. There, he took a seat on one of the benches, and began to play his trusty violin, and singing about rainy days in the city.



Another hour passed, and the Terriers had, as predicted, lost to the Baltimore Orioles. They had put up a good fight, though, and Raymond was at least happy with that, though he pouted on Valerie's shoulder after she stood up from the game. Mrs. Bradson and Trent, having sat in awkward positions the whole time, hung around the stadium for a little bit, stretching their legs.

“So...did we win?” Trent asked, curiously.

“No...” Raymond pouted.

“Well, they did give it the old college try,” Valerie said.

Raymond didn't reply. He only stood with his arms crossed, staring at the stadium with a hot look.

“Well, thanks again for taking me,” Trent said, bowing a little toward Valerie. “I had a lot of fun.”

“Oh, it was no problem,” Valerie smiled. “You know you're always welcome at our home.”

“Stupid...Orioles,” Ray grouched.

“Oh, Raymond, let it go,” Val said. “It's just a game.”

“It's not just a game, Val,” Raymond replied. “The Terriers have let us down for ages. We can't even beat the Orioles and they're one of the worst teams in the entire league!”

“Well...there's always next time?” Valerie offered.

“No better time than now...” Raymond groaned.

Valerie only shrugged.

“So, are you guys doing anything else?” Trent asked, hopefully. He liked being with the Bradsons. They were an interesting pair and it was fun to be with them.

“Um...I don't really know,” Valerie replied. “I don't really have anything else planned so...”

“Valerie! Trent!” A voice from behind sounded.

The two of them turned and beheld Lorraine Pruess standing on the other side of the stadium. As she came around to them, Trent immediately blushed. He hoped the blone wouldn't notice.

“Oh, hello Lorraine,” Valerie greeted, smiling at her friend. “I didn't know you were in the city.”

“Nor I about you,” Ms. Pruess replied, hugging her. “And good afternoon to you too, Mr. Berlinger.” She gave Trent a friendly wink. Trent blushed more, and bowed a little, still hiding his face. “So, what are you two up to?”

“Us, three, actually.” Valerie corrected her.

“Hi Lorraine!” Raymond waved to her.

“Oh, hi there, Raymond. I didn't see you there,” Ms. Pruess said teasingly.

“Yeah, I get that a lot,” Ray winked at her.

“We were just watching the Terriers play,” Valerie told the blonde.

“The Terriers?” Lorraine asked, puzzled. Valerie pointed at the stadium. “Oh, right, THOSE Terriers!”

“What other terriers do you know?” Raymond asked under his breath.

“Well, how'd they do?” Lorraine asked.

“They lost,” Val replied simply.

“Oh, well, that's to bad,” Ms. Pruess said, clearly not caring. She looked up. “On the bright side, I can't think of a more lovely day to lose a baseball game than today. It's just simply gorgeous out, don't you think?”

“Sure is,” Trent opined, just wanting to say something instead of being dead weight.

“You know,” Lorraine continued. “I was thinking of taking a stroll to the beach and look out at the ocean. Do you two want to accompany me?”

“Raymond?” Valerie asked.

“Sure, sure,” Raymond replied, grinning. “I guess, we could all use the beach...especially after a loss at a game to one of the worst teams in baseball...”

“Oh, you'll live,” Val said. She turned back to the blonde. “Okay, Lorraine, I guess we're coming with you.”

“Et u, Trent?” Lorraine asked, smiling at the boy. “Do you care to join us?”

“Huh? Oh! Uh...” Trent stumbled. “I...yeah, of...of course!”

“Fabulous!” Lorraine brightened. “Well, then, I guess we should get going. Don't want to waste any daylight!”

The blonde turned and set off, her swinging purse coming dangerously close to smashing a building nearby like a wrecking ball, causing Valerie's heart to stop for a second. Fortunately, it missed and Lorraine continued on without causing a problem. Sighing in relief, Mrs. Bradson went after her, Trent Berlinger following behind.