- Text Size +

Raymond Bradson awoke that morning in a jungle of his wife's sandy blonde hair. It happened.

He woke up in a few different places every morning. Usually it was buried in his wife's hair, which was long during the night, when she slept, the only time it wasn't done in a ponytail. Other times, he would wake up half buried under her cheek, one foot caught in her lips, another time smushed up against a closed eye, and then, a few occasions, he would find his upper body lodged up her nose. The massive pillow was soft enough to keep him from being squished, thankfully, and he was usually able to crawl out from his position (except when he was up her nose, he needed help then). He wouldn't change his sleeping arrangement for the world. To wrap oneself in a beautiful woman's hair and sleep next to her charming face, it was one of the less discovered joys of life. Most people didn't like getting anywhere near this close to a giant. It made him an oddity in Tectelphia, that was for sure, not that that bothered him.

Once he was out of the jungle of hair, he looked at his wife's face. Valerie was still sleeping like a baby, breathing long and slow. Raymond smiled at her and made his way closer to her. He went up to her nose, being careful to avoid her nostrils, and ran a hand along the hard surface. Then, he reached the eyes and the two feet lashes. Raymond leaned forward and gently kissed the closed lid before him and then took hold of a handful of the lashes. He gave a small tug.

“Val...” He called. “Wake up sweet heart...”

No movement.

“Valerie...” He tried again. “You in there, hon? Wake up...”

The eyelid tightened a little. Valerie uttered a disturbed moan.

“Come on, Val!” Raymond called. He glanced at his watch (he never took it off). “It's almost ten! The baseball game starts in an hour and a half! Come on! Shake a leg!”

Movement down the bed. Raymond looked and saw his wife raising one of her legs through the blanket. It swung left and right rapidly for a moment and then rested down agan.

“There...” Valerie yawned. “Now go away...”

“Very cute, Valerie.” Raymond said, grinning, giving another tug on her eyelashes. “Come on! Don't you want to see the game too?”

“Maybe after ten more minutes...” Val replied, her eye peeking open finally.

“Denied!” Raymond cried. “Now get a move on! I can't reach the Little Guy Shelf from here!”

“Alright, alright, Mr. Bossy,” Valerie replied, a small smile on her face.

A hand appeared and Raymond held up one of his arms. Valerie gently took hold of her husband's arm and lifted him off the pillow and raised him to the Little Guy Shelf, where she dropped him. The Little Guy Shelf was an all encompassing shelving unit that went, nonstop, around the interior of the house. It had furniture on some stretches of it, such as a couch in the living room stretch, the toilet and bathtube in the restroom, a stove and kitchen table in the kitchen, etc. It was meant to give a place for the smaller visitors of the house to be more comfortable. They were up away from the feet and didn't have to use the giant's furniture.

Once her husband was deposited on the shelf, Valerie Bradson laid her head back down on the pillow. Raymond noticed this.

“Hey! Lazy bones! Get your butt up and moving!” He called, grinning.

“No thanks,” Valerie called back. “My butt is fine where it is.”

“Don't make me come back down there...” Raymond called.

“How are you going to do that?” Valerie asked, looking up at him. “It's a pretty far jump for you on that shelf...”

“I can make it,” Ray said. “You don't know it, but I practice day in and day out with rigorous tests of endurance. I leap off this shelf all the time to test my freefalling skills. You don't know because I do it when you're not around, so that I'll surprise you with my...”

“Alright, I'm getting up!” Valerie interrupted, rolling her eyes, a smile on her face. “Just stop feeding me bull...”

“Aw, come on! I was getting to the good part!” Raymond protested, teasingly.

Valerie got up and stretched. She reached for her glasses on the nightstand and slipped them on. She then took the band and tied up her hair into her trademark ponytail. Then, she changed out of her pajamas into a white blouse and jeans, along with a pair of low heel shoes. Raymond got into a flannel shirt and jeans. Valerie always poked fun at him for looking like a lumberjack with his flannel shirts and full beard. Raymond used to work as a cable guy, before marrying his wife. With her being a hundred and fifty feet tall, and being someone who had been remarkably lonely before their marriage, attending to her essentially was his job.

The two of them then headed off to the kitchen. Raymond got a ride on Valerie's shoulder, as he so often did to get around, holding on to a long strand of her hair to avoid falling off. She let Raymond off on the shelf in the kitchen and opened her fridge...the only appliance she had, because a giant person had no use for a stove or an oven, a microwave, or even a sink. What Valerie took out was a large, uninteresting plastic bottle. She looked at it for a second and then sighed, twisting the cap off. Raymond watched as this happened.

“Well...” She said. “Down the hatch.”

She drank the fluid quickly in three gulps. When she lowered her arm, a slight grimace was on her face and she shook her head as if a spasm of dislike coursed through her.

“Bleh,” She stuck out her tongue, making a face.

“That bad, huh?” Raymond asked.

“It's....not that bad.” Valerie said, disposing of the bottle. “It's...just not very good, either.”

“Well, at least it keeps you from having to grind bones to make bread. I hear that takes a long time!” Raymond teased.

“I hear it's impossible,” Valerie replied, smiling a little.

Raymond went on to cook his breakfast, some bacon and scrambled eggs. As he was making it, he turned around, after hearing a loud whoosh of wind, and saw Valerie looking down at his food with a look of deep longing. Raymond felt sorry for her and it made him wish that she didn't have to be subjected to watching him eat all the great amounts of food that normals sized people had while she was forced to drink liquid crap all her life. Never before had she been able to taste anything that he had. Once, just to favor her, he purchased tons and tons of Campbell's Tomato Soup and heated it over a fire outside just so she could have a sample of something new. But...for the most part, almost everything in the culinary world lay beyond her reach.

“You gonna save any of that for me?” She asked, a sad smile on her lips.

“I would if I could, sweetheart.” Raymond replied, sympathetically.

Val nodded sadly and sat down at her table. When Raymond was done cooking, he sat next to her...or next to her head, on his position on the Little Guy Shelf.

“So...who are the 'Terriers' playing, anyway?” Valerie asked, curiously.

“They'll be losing to the team known as the 'Baltimore Orioles'.” Raymond replied, swallowing some eggs.

“Are they any good?” Val asked. “The Orioles?”

“Nope, not really,” Ray shook his head. “Which makes this loss all the sadder.”

The Tectelphia Terriers had not had a good season for twenty years, according to Raymond. Valerie had no idea how the ratings and the ranks of the baseball world worked, but she understood the simple fact that they lost most of their games each baseball season. She didn't consider herself a fan of the Terriers, but Raymond was a loyal follower, one of the people who stayed with the team, remembering the times when they had actual been a challenge on the field. They had never really been the most amazing team. A team from a city called 'Tectelphia', they really weren't supposed to be.

“Do you think we should pay for me?” Valerie asked. “I feel a little like a cheat if I just watch by peering over the top of the stadium. All those other people had to pay to watch the game. I should too.”

“Ah, don't worry about it,” Raymond replied. “I've got tickets. Got 'em from my old man. Besides, you've never had a problem with just looking over the top before. It's not your fault that you were born with that advantage. You know how many loyal baseball fans would kill for that?”

“I guess...” Valerie smiled a little. “It is kind of convenient, isn't it? I just wish it was a little easier for me to actually see the ball. I usually have to watch that big screen to even know what's happening.”

“Well, we deal with what we're given,” Ray said, simply, picking up his now empty plate. He rinsed it off and placed it in the sink. “You ready?”

Valerie held out a hand. “Ready,” She said, brightening.

Raymond Bradson jumped onto his wife's hand and was placed onto her shoulder. He wrapped himself in the longer strands of her hair.

“Very well then!” He cried mightily. “Then...ONWARD! To Tectelphia, and beyooond! Go!”

Valerie rolled her eyes, smiling.

“I'm going, Raymond,” She said. “Keep you pants on.”

“Pants are for the weak!” Raymond cried.

“Oh, boy...” Valerie rolled her eyes again. Her smile never faded.