- Text Size +

...



Mayor Terry Trayor of Tectelphia was just hanging up the phone when he thought he heard the ground shake again.

He had heard the giants singing in the park earlier. As surprised as he was to admit it to himself, one of them was especially good at singing. To think that some of the giants actually had an enjoyable talent that didn't include wrecking the city. Then, he had seen the trouble maker, the blonde giant, pass by his office window. A few minutes later, a new giant voice was booming as loud as it could about knock knock jokes, laughing loudly like a lunatic.

After that...he had heard Stark's voice.

For a moment, he had actually been glad that the Giant Relation Person had arrived. The Berlinger boy had been causing a huge ruckus down at the Tectelphia Park (his voice had actually rattled his windows to the verge of cracking and shattering), and he was relieved when he was finally silenced. But...then he realized that the Giant Relations Person was nearby and that might mean that she was coming for him. He did not want to see her right now. He was exhausted and not mentally prepared for looking up at that woman, seeing those massive eyes on him as he stood in a giant hand as she carried him around the city. The mayor seized the phone and made some quick calls that needed to be made, wrote some final notes, and then tried to bail out of the office. He wasn't sure where he was going to go, but as long as Ms. Stark didn't get here before he could leave, Terry could get out of having to deal with her.

And just as he hung up the phone, pictures on his office wall rattled. Quickly, he grabbed his belongings and leapt out of his chair, feeling the quakes get more powerful. As he began to cross to the doors, another massive tremor went through the room and he collapsed to his feet. His briefcase spilled open and the papers scattered on the ground. Shoving them back in, the man began to hobble towards the exit when another quake toppled him yet again. The light coming in from the big window to the left was blocked. Mayor Trayor gulped and looked.

He screamed when he saw the massive hazel eye, the pupil slightly dilated, peering in at him. The eyelashes gently brushed the glass as it blinked. The mayor, hardly aware of his doing it, got to his feet and scrambled back towards his desk and jumped over it, spilling everything that was on it, and quickly hide in the space beneath it.

Jennifer Stark sighed softly to herself as she witnessed this. Does he every stop to think about how that might make me feel, she thought to herself, it's not my fault that this is how I have to communicate. She raised a hand, dressed elegantly in a leather glove, and gently tapped her finger against the glass, aware of her strength.

“Mayor Trayor?” She asked, calmly and coaxingly. “It's me. Jennifer Stark. Can you please come out from there? I need to speak with you...”

The Mayor stayed where he was. This woman was going to ruin whatever was left of his reputation as the big man of the city. She was telling the world that Terry Trayor was cowering like a middle school student did from a bully and he hated it. But, he couldn't help it. That giant face, with its giant, moving features...it was just too much for him to comprehend. No living creature on land should be that big! Especially one that was a human being!

Jennifer sighed again.

“Mayor Trayor...” She said, sounding a little pleading. “I know you're there. Please, please come out.”

Trayor slowly raised his head from behind the desk. His face met Jennifer's eye. Trying desperately to regain some of his dignity, he went to the center of the room, wanting to stride over as big as life, like the mayor should be. But, unfortunately, Jennifer Stark was ten times bigger than life, and his stride turned into a shambling, cowering shuffle, and he stood before the eye, his legs wobbling like a gradeschooler who was about to be punished.

“I just need to go over some of the damages of the city with you,” Jennifer explained, patiently. “If you could please come to the roof, I'd be more than happy to escort you.”

Escort him, she says. More like carry him across the city in her hands like a little bitty doll. She didn't seem to fully understand just how demeaning it was to the average man to feel so small, so insignificant. It just didn't feel right. He was the mayor, for god's sake! She should be looking up to him, not the other way around! Ms. Stark unbent and suddenly Trayor was faced with the manhole cover sized buttons of the giant's jacket.

He made his way up to the roof, sulking nervously all the way. When he reached the top of the building, the Giant Relations Person was waiting for him. She was taller than the christing building, her bust (that is, a view from her shoulders up) was all that was visible. One hand was lightly planted on the ceiling, one of the fingers tapping patiently. It was, without a doubt, one of the creepiest sights he had seen. That massive hand, dressed in a black leather glove, draped over a large portion of the roof, the bus sized fingers spread out across. It looked like a fucking spider, another thing that Mayor Trayor was quietly afraid of.

Despite knowing that it would do nothing, Jennifer put a warm smile on her lips.

“Hello, Mr. Trayor,” She said, respectfully and politely. “How are you?”

Those eyes. That smile. He didn't like her face. She looked like an eager young child, who was thinking of what to do with her new toy. His mind kept flashing images of her reaching out and plucking him up with the fingers of her spider hand and begin throwing him up and down into the air for fun. The thought made his legs wobble again.

“Ms. Stark....” He finally found his voice. It sounded rusty and unlike him. “It's....it's...” He wanted to say 'It's good to see you,' but that was patently false. “What...can....whatdoyouwant?” He rushed the words out.

“Lorraine Pruess caused more damage to the city again,” She said, apologetically. “But, you don't need to worry about that. I have spoken with her, and if she does anything else to the city, she'll be under lock down in her home for awhile. In the meantime, I'd like to go over the damages with you. Just so you can be aware of what's going on.”

“Oh...” Mayor Trayor said. And, tragically, that was all he could say.

Jennifer waited for a moment, waiting to see if the Mayor would be able to continue. When it became apparent that he would (and couldn't).

“So, I'd like to get started,” She said. “It's late and I'm sure you'd like to go home. If we go now, it shouldn't take long.”

Then, she did what he knew she would eventually do. The hand that had been laying on top of the roof flipped over on its back and was extended towards him, the fingers flattening, and the tips of them stopping in front of his feet. Mayor Trayor looked at this for a moment and then slowly looked up towards the giant face.

“Ms. Stark...” He began. “Is...is it really necessary for you to........carry me? I...It would be...no trouble for me to drive...or...anything...”

“Mr. Trayor,” Jennifer replied patiently. “I know that you're not completely comfortable with my carrying you, but it is the fastest way around the city. That...and, well, if you were to drive you'd be on the ground at my feet...”

Terry grimaced at that. The only thing worse than being carried would be being squashed like he was nothing but a little bug. Christ, why do she have to be so goddam tall!?

“Please...” The Giant Relations Person coaxed. “You've rode on my hand before. It's a lot safer than it looks. You know that Raymond Bradson has been riding on his wife's shoulder for the past three years and they've yet to have an accident. Giants have become quite accustomed to handling people smaller than they are. So, there really is no reason to be worried...”

Mayor Trayor was barely listening to this. He didn't really care. That Bradson man was a lunatic, plain and simple. He had no idea who in the right mind would marry a person who was a hundred times his size? What kind of relationship did the two of them have? Arguing with a wife was already on a “pick your battles” basis. Terry couldn't imagine how much more difficult it would be if the woman in question was the size of the Empire State Building. Even more, what kind of sex life did they have? Did they even have one? How was Raymond Bradson supposed to live in a house that was owned by a giant person that was furnished with a giant's things? How did he get around?

“Mayor Trayor...” Jennifer Stark coaxed further. “If you would...”

Terry Trayor took a deep breath. He lifted a foot and guided it forward until it was lowered onto the leathery surface of the glove, his shoe sinking into the material as he added his weight. Pretty soon, he stood on the tips of the middle and ring fingers of Jennifer's right hand. He began to make his way towards the palm, walking across the fingers. One of them twitched a little as he walked across it, causing him to almost lose his balance and fall.

“Sorry,” Jennifer apologized, trying to keep her fingers still.

The mayor finally made it to the palm of her hand, which was near the size of a baseball field. He felt incredibly small and he refused to look up into the looming face. When he was in position, Jennifer carefully lifted her hand off the roof. Her left hand up and ready in case the man should fall, The Giant Relations Person stepped away from the Mayor's Office.

“Alright,” The woman said calmly. “Let's get going then, shall we?”

The Mayor groaned. Jennifer began to walk. The Mayor's office was near a road that was used by the normal population and she had to step over it to get back onto the streets she could use. The citizens got scared as she did this and, naturally, some ran away screaming for their lives. Jennifer was used to this by now, to the point where she tried to tune it out. Despite her frequent exposure to the screams of the smaller folks, she still sighed inwardly whenever she heard it. The sound was a depressing reminder that the normal people were still needlessly afraid of the giants, something that she, Jennifer, had strove to fix when she began her work as the Giant Relations Person.

Terry Trayor wanted to try and glance down to see what kind of reaction his citizens were having to this behemoth walking in their midst, but didn't dare approach the edges of Ms. Stark's hand. He was on an unstable surface as it was. All it took was for the giant's mind to wander and forget he was there and she would accidentally drop him. But, with nothing he could do about that, he sat down and tried to grab as much of the leather material of the glove as he could. It was something to hold onto.

The two of them went deeper into town as they began their “work” together.