- Text Size +
* * * * *

NED FOGARTY'S P.O.V.

The first thing Melissa did was contact M.A.C.H.O. on her cellular scramblephone. Then, she gave a terse report, to Director Meriwether, on what happened. Including her call to hotel security!

"There was no way to get around that without blowing our cover. And, they're bound to be here, any second."

"Put the phone on speaker mode," she was advised: "So we can listen in, and plan our cover story, accordingly."

"Affirmative."

No sooner had she said that than security arrived, just as predicted. They were followed by the arrival of two LAPD Robbery/Homicide detectives: Sergeant Lori Dillinger; and Detective Francisco Fernandez.

As it turns out, they were also old acquaintances of mine from my days as an investigative reporter. Dillinger (no relation to the famous gangster) was a blue-eyed blonde who could have passed for the younger sister of actress Sheri Wilson (Chuck Norris' D.A.-girlfriend on WALKER, TEXAS RANGER). While her partner had once boxed Golden Gloves as "Paco Wallop" Fernandez.

Melissa gave them a slightly edited version of the truth. Basically claiming that they--the three Ghost Spiders--had burst in to try and mug her.

"But, I've verified enough medical insurance claims, of aggravated assault, to know they'd probably have done worse than that!" she added: "So, I fought back."

"That was very brave you, Ms. Belmondo. But, it could also have been very foolhardy," replied Dillinger: "What if they'd been packing small-caliber guns in their pockets? Like Beretta .380's, for instance!"

"Believe me, Sergeant. If I'd been calm and collected enough to think along those lines, I would've probably been too scared to act!"

"Well, we'll run these three into custody," Fernandez declared: "...and let you get some sleep. But, we _will_ expect you to come by headquarters, first thing tomorrow morning, for a much fuller statement."

"Thank you, Detective. I deeply appreciate that."

After that, the night manager of the LAX Hilton personally escorted us (or, rather Mel) to another room. The Honeymoon Suite, as it turned out! She'd only be charged the same rate as our original room, however, as compensation for being so rudely distubed.

Thank God for hotels that are addicted to good publicity!

When we were alone, again, Mel took her cellphone out of her left blazer pocket, while withdrawing me from her right. And, placing it next to me on the nightstand of the master bedroom.

"Did you get all that?" she asked.

"Affirmative," said Meriwether: "And, frankly, I don't think it's coincidence that they work for a crime syndicate we've had trouble with, in the past."

"Do you think Nozama might have hired them to discourage us from questioning her, tomorrow?"

"Possibly. Although, that implies that she already knows you're more than an insurance investigator."

"That doesn't necessarily mean she knows about M.A.C.H.O.," I interjected (at the top of my lungs): "She might simply think Mel is secretly working for the Yakuza. Because, I can tell you for a fact; the Yakuza and the Earth Tigers do not play well together! So, it's possible the tong _paid_ to have Okada shrink-napped."

"Enough conjecturing," ordered Meriwether: "The two of you get some sleep. So you can have fresh minds on just _how_ you're going to interrogate Nozama."

And, with that, he signed off.

tbc