- Text Size +
* * * * *

NED FOGARTY'S P.O.V.

"Grab her," said the spokesman.

Immediately, his two followers move forward as one. But, if they expected a typical damsel-in-distress, easily paralyzed by fright, they didn't know Melissa Belmondo. She was the daughter of one of Uncle Sam's Misguided Children! And, she demonstrated this when she did a reverse sit-up with the lower half of her body. Thereby giving her the leverage necessary to spring to her feet, and land in a monkey-like crouch.

From this position, she spun about in a counter-clockwise circle. Using her outstretched left leg to sweep her first attacker off her feet, and flat on his ass!

Her second attacker dodged that leg sweep by leaping over it. But, while he was still in mid-air, Mel sprang upward herself. Consequently kicking him in the chest, with the sole of her right foot, and knocking _him_ flat on his ass!

But, while she was doing that, her first attacker had regained his feet. I needn't have worried, though. Mel saw this for herself, and moved her right leg backward like the pendulum of a grandfather clock. And, catching that guy, with the heel of her foot, right smack-dab in the cajones!

He collapsed--with a falsetto whimper--like the proverbial wet sack of organic fertilizer.

That was when the spokesman got into the act. Quicker than you can "Oh, shit!," he flicked open a Filipino balisong. As did the second attacker, who had now regained his own feet.

They rushed her from both sides. Yet, Mel wasn't exactly unarmed, herself. From the left inner pocket of her blazer, she whipped a telescoping jutte made of stainless steel! And, she slashed downward with it as the spokesman came at her from her left.

Consequently, he dropped his balisong, as the wrist of his right hand was promptly broken! Yet, he was barely able to utter one syllable in pain before Mel slashed upward with the jutte...and bruised his larynx.

As a result, he fell to his knees, gurgling in pain while clutching at his throat with his left hand!

While he was doing that, however, Mel leaped to her right. Dodging the third guy like a matador in a bull ring. As she did so, she lashed out with the edge of her left hand. Bringing it down on the nape of the third guy's neck in a shuto karate chop. Consequently, between that and his forward momentum, he now fell flat on his face!

Mel followed through, in subduing him, by leaping up and forward. So that she landed with one foot to either side of him. Straddling him like an auburn-haired Colossus of Rhodes! But, she didn't maintain that pose long.

Only as long as it took to bring the jutte down, across the back of his head, like an old-fashioned blackjack.

She then went over to the still-gurgling spokesman and knocked him out with a left-footed kick to the jaw. A blow she duplicated, a moment later, with Signor Falsetto.

"Holy Shit!" I exclaimed, as I came out of hiding.

In less time than it takes to tell, she had single-handedly brought down three attackers roughly half her age! I say "half her age," because when Mel unmasked them, she revealed her attackers as being Chinese-Americans in their late teens/early twenties. Each of their foreheads bearing the same tattoo. A white circle surrounded by what looked like eight capital "L's." Half of them upside-down, atop the circle.

I have to confess that I found the symbol to be strangely familiar to me. Then, it hit me.

"Uh-oh!"

Mel looked at me, just as she was about to call hotel security.

"You know these creeps?"

"Not by name," I replied: "But, I once crossed paths with some of their brethren, back during my investigative reporter days. They're Ghost Spiders! Chinatown street muscle for the local branch of the Earth Tiger Tong."

tbc
Chapter End Notes:
*Uncle Sam's Misguided Children: a term of endearment used by the Regular Navy in reference to the U.S. Marine Corps.

Balisong: a type of switchblade also known as a "butterfly knife" (as it supposedly makes a sound like the fluttering of a butterfly's wings when flicked open).

Jutte: a sword-parrying weapon orignally used by samurai-policemen in old Japan. With the left prong roughly twice as long as the right.