- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
MOTEL SIX,
VENICE, CAL.
MAY 20, 2009
(2:50 P.M./PST)
* * * * *

PARK KIM JUNG'S P.O.V.

"You can call me...Darth Brooks."

I knew not who this genin was. But, he was clearly mad. For, he was confronting both myself and my granddaughter brandishing nothing more than a bokken!*

Thus, I opted to put him out of my misery, first.

I swung my nagamaki at him in a clockwise semi-circle and easily cleaved the blade-like portion in two. But, it swiftly became evident that that had been his intention. Because, he hurriedly caught the chopped-off portion of the bokken in his left hand...and blew through it.

It is true! The top half of the bokken was a blowgun!! And, I subsequently wound up with a drug-tipped dart in my right foot. It must have been! Because, my right leg went numb, almost immediately. At the same time, this "mad" genin pressed a hidden stud on the blowgun. Causing a stainless steel billhook to pop outward from its underside, like an Occiental switchblade. Thereby turning the blowgun into a kama!  Whereupon, he used it to dislodge the bamboo covering the wakizashi hidden within the right half of the bokken. And all in less time than it takes to tell.

"You want some of me, too, beeyotch?"

Junyo-chen's reply was immediate and unequivocal.

"KIAIIIIIIIIIIII!"

She charged forward and the genin met her half-way. He used the wakizashi to block the simultaneous downward thrust of her ssang-tos, while trying to disembowel her with his kama. But, she evaded the blow by shrinking down to an inch tall!

I am certain it was only I who saw her somersault between his legs at ankle-height. Otherwise, her re-enlargement behind him would not have taken him by surprise. Although, he must have been expecting it to some degree. For he then pivoted, counter-clockwise, and used the kama to graze her just above the left knee!!

I heard my granddaughter instinctively gasp in pain. But, a second later, she rallied herself...and glared at the genin.

"First blood to you. Yet, it's last blood that wins a fight. KIAAAAAAAAI!"

Her counter-attack was a virtual whirlwind of steel as she quickly put the genin on the defensive. And, this impasse would most likely have been broken only when one of them tired out from the strenuous speed being employed. That is; if the sound of approaching police sirens had not been heard, first.

Junyo-chen re-sheathed her swords.

"We shall meet, again, meddler."

Whereupon, she threw a "flash-bang" egg upon the ground. Disappearing in a quite literal puff of smoke! The genin then looked at me.

"I'm gonna confiscate whoever you took prisoner back at Cal-Tech. Because, you've got enough to worry about, just hauling your own ass out of here."

Unfortunately, he was right. For it proved difficult enough, just for me to stand upright while leaning on my nagamaki.

"What, may I ask...?" I began, pointing to my leg.

I could not see his grin, of course. But, the mirth in his reply was unmistakable.

"Industrial-strength novocaine."

He then rushed into the bathroom, and rushed out again. His wakizashi and kama now sheathed at his belt. And, his right hand (now devoid of the shuko whose twin was still obvious on his left) clenched in a fist. Though, not tightly so.

With no other recourse on my part, I shrank down to one inch tall, and whistled for my hawk owl.

tbc
Chapter End Notes:
*Bokken: the bamboo sword used in kendo (Japanese sport fencing).

Kama: Japanese sickle.