- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
"All The Single Ladies:" copyright Columbia Records, 2008.
* * * * *

HOTEL LILLIPUT, THE BAHAMAS
MAY 20, 2009 (3:12 P.M./EST)
MILES STONE'S P.O.V.

Suddenly, my surroundings got slightly darker. And, I knew right away what the source of it was: the shadow of a shoe about to descend on me.

Thank God for all that re-orientation training at "Kleinmann University!"

Despite the encumbrance of the bubblegum wad on my upper torso, my legs were still free enough that I could lunge to my right and avoid being stepped on. At least, on the first try. Unfortunately, I had difficulty using my momentum to spring back up from the ensuing somersault. Because, the gum caused me to lose a fraction of it.

On the plus side, I also got a good portion of that stuff (quite literaally) off my back. But, I had still been slowed down enough that I was vulnerable to a second attempt. And, what's worse?

Now, the other chorus girls were joining in!

I counted nine of them. All of them wearing black leotards with no tights, and only one sleeve. Four long-haired blondes (one with brown eyes, and three blue-eyed triplets); two brunettes (a petite one with long hair, and a tall one with a shoulder-length Goth cut); a long-haired redhead with blue eyes; a Bahamian girl with a top-knotted pageboy cut (the same shade of light brown as her complexion); and a pony-tailed African-American girl.

It was the last one who had started the impromptu flamenco dance. And, she was the one most determined to end it by ending me!

It was the redhead who finally noticed something.

"Hey, guys! Wait a minute. Look!!"

She went over to where I had come out of the somersault, and picked up a piece of red fabric from my cover-alls.

"That's no bug. It's one of the hotel animatrons!"

"Are you sure of that, Rhonda?"

"See for yourself, Myrna. Since when do bugs wear polyester?"

My pony-tailed persecutor did just that. I tried to use the opportunity to escape. I was still surrounded by the other seven, however. So, when Myrna nodded in confirmation of Rhonda's discovery, my doom was apparently sealed. Because, gone was the collective look of revulsion that had been on their faces.

It had been replaced by expressions of carnal interest.

And, before I could make one last desperate bid for escape, the brown-eyed blonde squatted down, and then sprang back up. With me, snatched up in a two-handed iron grip in between. The next thing I knew? She ahd handed me off to Myrna, who then stuffed me inside the upper half of Rhonda's leotard. After which, I heard the muffled voice of the hotel choreographer ordering the girls to get on stage "toot-sweet."

Five minutes later, I found myself enduring an earthquake to the tune of Beyonce's "All the Single Ladies."

* * * * *

NAOMI WATANABE'S P.O.V.

Eric and I had arrived too late to recover Captain Stone, as we'd been delayed by a stage hand with the soul of an extortionist. He wouldn't let us backstage, to get vidphone pictures of Juliet Merlinova's dressing room (our public excuse, if caught), until we had bribed him with a travelers' check for five thousand dollars!

"Now, what'll we do?" after we had lived up to our proffered excuse.

"You wait in here," Eric instructed: "Keep the door open a crack so you can see when those girls get through with rehearsal. In the meantime, I'll go back up to our room and get the microndos ready."

I nodded. The two of us had hoped we wouldn't have to deploy those guys. Their regular duties being hazardous enough, already! Yet, circumstances had left us little choice. So, Eric slipped out of Merlinova's dressing room. And, I turned off the light so nobody would notice a brightly lit slit in the hinged portion of the doorjamb.

tbc
Chapter End Notes:
Special note: see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgguEZCE3DK

;-)