- Text Size +
CALIFORNIA INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY,
BIOPHYSICS BUILDING,
MAY 20, 2009 (12:05 P.M./PST)

NED FOGARTY'S P.O.V.

* * * * *

"I will not ask a second time," Melissa growled: "Let her go, or I drop you. With a bullet right between the eyes."

The ninja in white squinted at my normie-bodyguard. And, he must have seen it, in her own eyes, that she meant it. So, he lifted both hands above his head.

"Get over here, doctor. Now!"

Dr. Hana Nozama did not need to be told twice. We had come here to question her because M.A.C.H.O. had suspected her of being a serial homunculist. Now, we were trying to save her life. Emphasis on "trying."

Because as soon as she was half-way to Mel's side, the ninja in white suddenly bent down on one knee...and lassoed Nozama's right ankle with the metallic ball-weighted end of a kusarigama! He then spun counter-clockwise one hundred and eighty degrees, so he could throw the sickle-weighted end with his left hand!!

The snub-nose Terminator revolver went flying from Mel's hands faster than I could've said "Oh, shit."

But, Mel wasn't my bodyguard for nothing. She was an ex-DEA agent who had been born and raised at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, long before training with Watanabe-sensei. So, without even pausing to blink, she whipped out her collapsible jutte and somesaulted towards that ninja with a "ki-ai" shout that was practically deafening to a shrinkie like me!

Her objective, you see, was to either knock him to the floor by striking him in the Achilles' tendon of his right foot. Or, make him dodge the blow by jumping upwards. And, then, catch him in the groin, with an upward-sweeping return strike, when he came back down!

This guy was good, though. Because, while he did jump upwards, he also leaped over her!!

Of course, to Mel's credit, she did spin around (while simultaneously springing back to her feet), to meet his counter-attack, faster than it takes to describe it. Yet, as fast as she was, this guy was faster. As, before I could even attempt to yell "Watch out!," he had entangled her jutte in the chain of his kusarigama. Following which, he used the blunt side of the sickle's handle to club her across the forehead.

She fell to the floor like a wet sack of manure.

The surprises didn't there, however. After making sure Mel wasn't playing 'possum, the ninja in white calmly-yet-quickly strode over to Nozama (whose fall to the floor, face-first, had knocked the wind out of her). He then flipped her over on to her back; clutched her throat in a right-handed grip; and shrank her!!!

A few seconds later, he had done the same thing to Mel, herself. I'm serious! Both women were now my size. Allowing this character to put them in a silken-white pouch as easily as I might have deposited a couple of my old childhood marbles in there.

He then shrank down to about an inch in height...just before the student receptionist in the outer office came barging in with two campus security guards.

They didn't find the ninja, or the two women, or me. Although, in my case, it's because I had taken the precaution of hiding inside Mel's purse. Which she had instinctively dropped to the floor, after drawing her revolver, with the lid still unfastened!

And, while I might not have a cyber-telepathy chip in my head, like Miles Stone, I do know how to press the buttons on a giant cellphone to call M.A.C.H.O. for back-up.

tbc