- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
EASTERN NORTH PACIFIC,
MAY 20, 2009
(6:00 A.M./PST)
* * * * *

The aircraft was a Fairchild C-123-J Provider, with turboprop-driven engines and turbojet-assisted take off. Normally, it was used by the Alaskan Air National Guard to transport equipment and supplies. And, once in a while, it was also used for the airborne insertion of forest fire-fighting "smoke jumpers!"

But, today, its pilot and co-pilot were bound for Coronado, California, and the U.S. Navy's Special Amphibious Warfare School.

Twelve hours earlier, they had picked up a contigent of South Korean marines, at the jointly operated Atsugi Naval Airbase, in Japan. Then, while refueling in Honolulu, they had been joined by an American SEAL team.* Yet, unbeknownst to either military unit, they were being accompanied by a most unusual stow-away.

Junyo-chen ("The She-Falcon"): newly initiated kunoichi of the Heikegani-ryu!

She had spent most of the trip in deep meditation. She snapped out of it, however, when the captain of the SEAL team activated the public address system.

"Good morning, gentlemen!" he began (pausing while the South Koreans' C.O. translated): "We will soon be passing the three-mile limit. Which means we'll be in American airspace. And, I can think of no better way to commence our counter-terrorist cross-training with the U.S. Army Green Berets of Delta Force, than a good old HALO/SCUBA insertion!"

"As you know, that's an amphibious variant of the standard High Altitude/Low Opening skydive. But, this morning, we'll be performing it with a high-tech twist. We'll be doing it while wearing...squirrel-suits!"

He explained (for the benefit of the South Koreans) how these were jumpsuits with glider wing membranes between the armpits and hips. Membranes that supposedly made a human skydiver look more like an overgrown "flying" squirrel.

"And, once we swim ashore, we'll be taken by deuce-and-a-halves to Fort Irwin, for the next phase of the cross-training."

Almost on cue, the steady red light above the cockpit door switched to an equally steady amber. Whereupon, the good captain instructed everyone to start donning the squirrel-suits. When this had been accomplished, the co-pilot came out of the cockpit and joined them.

"Two minutes to jump-point, Skipper!"

The SEAL team captain nodded. Following which, he ordered both units to line up, single-file. And, no sooner had that been accomplished than the amber light switched to a rapidly blinking green!

The co-pilot promptly opened the rear hatch, and a great wind filled the interior.

"Go-go-go!" shouted the captain over his helmet's built-in microphone. Ninety seconds later, he was all by himself. But, by no means, was he the last one to leave the plane!

As soon as both the SEALS and the South Koreans were sufficiently both ahead of and below her, Junyo-chen re-enlarged herself! She then withdrew her pet kestrel, and re-enlarged that, as well, before taking off its blinding leather hood.

Two seconds later, she had shrunk back down to one inch in size, so she could ride on the back of the kestrel's neck. And, ten seconds after that, the pair of them were flying over the main gate of the S.A.W.S., while the SEALS and the South Koreans were still a good mile out at sea, swimming towards the beach.

* * * * *

HOTEL LILLIPUT, PARADISE ISLAND,
THE BAHAMAS (11 HOURS EARLIER)

MILES STONE'S P.O.V.

From my hiding place, backstage, I entered my auto-hypnotic trance. And, in that state, my cyber-telepathy chip helped me give Meriwether the whole story about Gladys' capture (and Okada Takeo's recapture) by Juliet Merlinova.

"I need some back-up," I concluded: "ASAP! Before she stuffs GC in a match box and saws in her half with a nail file!"

"Relax," he texted back (the letters appearing in my mind's eye like a Times Square billboard): "Marco Polo is headed 4U, even as we speak. He and his partner will have enough re-N4-cements to extract both parties."

"I hope so," I replied: "This is Maj. Minor. Over and out."

* * * * *

CAL-TECH BIOPHYSICS BUILDING
(17 HOURS LATER)

NED FOGARTY'S P.O.V.

I couldn't believe it! One minute, that white ninja was my size. The next minute? He was towering over Melissa by at least half a foot!

Something that became obvious when she sprang to her feet. Her snub-nose .44 magnum Terminator already in a steady two-handed grip as that white ninja lunged...towards Hana Nozama!!

"Muhon-nin!" he growled: "What have you done with Okada Takeo? Talk! Or, I will..."

"Let her go," replied Mel: "Slowly, and gently."

And, she cocked the revolver's hammer back, for emphasis.

"Oh, great!" I muttered: "All we need now are the Sergio Leone Singers."

tbc
Chapter End Notes:
*SEAL: SEa/Air/Land team


C.O. (commanding officer)


Flying squirrel: North American rodent, of the genus Glaucomya, that can glide from tree to tree like the marsupial phalangers of Australia.


Deuce-and-halves: generic slang term for any U.S. Army truck that weighs 2.5 tons.


ASAP: As Soon As Possible.


Muhon-nin: Japanese for "traitor."


Sergio Leone: Italian movie director best known for the "spaghetti Westerns" of the 1960's that helped make Clint Eastwood an international superstar (and which usually had an out-of-tune chorus singing during the show-downs).