- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
JOSH BUCKLER'S P.O.V.
* * * * *

Bonnie Sue told me that, after graduating from Purdue, she had become one of the end-zone baton twirlers for the Detroit Lions. But, she soon grew bored with that, and came home to Cranston. Here, she went to work for the local cable television company, hosting an aerobic exercise program that she called... "Twirlercise."

The show quickly became popular throughout Lamont County. But, it now looked like it was in danger of being cancelled due to the financial trouble the company was in. It seems they needed fifteen million dollars to stay in the black for, at least, another year.

Guess who had that exact amount handy to invest?

Well, suffice it to say that the president of the company was so grateful, he hired me as his new Senior Executive VP. And, his whole board of directors was so grateful, they renamed the company "Jericho Cablevision!"

"Face it, Josh," said Bonnie: "It's only appropriate. Without you, this company would have fallen and never gotten back up."

By the turn of the millenium, I had become the new president of the company. And, using both the experience and the contacts I had made, while working for ESPN, I soon expanded Jericho Cablevision to the point where we came between ESPN and Fox Network Sports in the Nielsens!

Eventually, we also overtook the Big Three. Which brings me to how I wound up going to Los Angeles in November of 2004.

Officially, I was out there to bid on the telecast rights for one of the college bowl games that come on just before Christmas, and end just after New Year's. And, the night before I was to meet with the NCAA media relations representative, I went to a basketball game between the USC Trojans and the Golden Bears of UC-Berkley.

That's when and where I first noticed her. An attractive Sansei woman wearing an orange blouse beneath a white blazer and matching midi-skirt. The latter showing off her legs (complete with black, open-toed high heels), quite exquisitely.

Between all that, plus her black-rimmed eyeglasses and attractively bunned hair, she was a dead ringer for that research assistant in Thomas Dolby's classic music video, "She Blinded Me With Science!"

* * * * *

HANA NOZAMA'S P.O.V.

My background research on Joshua Buckler had paid off. He was, indeed, a leg man with a foot-fetish. Indeed, at the risk of sounding immodest, I diverted half his attention from the basketball court for the rest of the game. I attracted the rest of it when he found me blubbering away over finding that the tires of my car had been slashed!

Naturally, I blamed it on some over-zealous Trojan fan, retaliating for my cheering on the Golden Bears. And, naturally (again, as indicated by my background research), he chivalrously offered to drive me home.

We began seeing quite a bit of each other, after that. Yet, despite my best efforts,...

...I wound up falling in love with him.

A fact that "Manny Smith" had quickly come to suspect, when he insta-messaged me for a progress report, half way through December.

MANNY: "YOU'VE GOT LESS THAN TWO WEEKS LEFT. FINISH THE JOB WE PAID YOU FOR, OR SUFFER THE CONSEQUENCES!"

"What consequences?" I defiantly typed back.

He sent me a picture of a bank statement. The account number of which was alarmingly familiar. Yet, only half as alarming as the five-digit number listed on it.

"$10,001.00."

Before I could type in a demand as to how he had done that, and where he had put the considerably higher sum that had originally been there, he interrupted with this final warning.

"ELIMINATE BUCKLER BY XMAS, AND YOU'LL GET EVERY PENNY, BACK. FAIL US, AND BANKRUPTCY WILL BE THE LEAST OF YOUR PROBLEMS."

I shut off the computer screen, and began to cry.

tbc