- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
In which battle is (finally!) joined.
* * * * *

We did retire for the night following our evening meal. The latter consisted mostly of some of Lin Kuei's own store of tea and fishcakes, which he not only graciously shared with us. But, also, did he graciously cook it for us!

And, as I lay upon Skogul's mountainous chest, trying to let sleep overtake me, she did pick me up with her left hand and bring me before her azure-eyed countenance.

"Ilya; do you think Lin Kuei was being totally truthful with what he told us?"

I stood up in her palm and shrugged.

"I must concede that I have heard of the Bastarnae. Quite frequently opponents of the ancient Romans, they were."

"And, I have likewise heard of the Aspurgiants," replied Skogul: "Father often told me, when I was a little girl, how our Svear ancestors inter-married with that tribe, during the earliest days of Kiev's founding. Thereby endowing their children with the power that gave rise to the first Varangiants!"

"Then, what arouses so much suspicion, of the Cathayan, within you?" I asked.

"There was his sudden appearance on the lakeshore, this morning, for one thing," she replied: "Plus, his mutual acquaintance with the very man who first set you upon this journey. Two 'coincidences' too good to be true, I think!"

It was at this point that I was forced to cover my mouth, as it did succumb to a yawn I could no longer stifle.

"I think we should talk more of this, tomorrow night. So that we might get proper rest for tomorrow morning."

Skogul half-smiled and nodded. Yet, she did not immediately return me to whence I had been trying to sleep. Instead, it did look as if she were considering something more. Then, she half-smiled again, and nodded to herself. All before suddenly engulfing my entire form with a swift kiss!

"Sweet dreams, Little Warrior."

* * * * *

The next morn found us preparing for battle.

In addition to sharpening their seaxes, Skogul and Svyatogor did examine their round, brass-studded shields of fire-hardened-and-polished oak wood. While I not only sharpened both my falchion and my spiked buckler. I also did test the string upon my new horse bow. Reassured, after three resounding "twangs," that it was of sufficient stretchability.

I also did remove the iron arrowhead, from one of my shafts, in order to affix the golden one that had been fashioned from the blessed Ephesian coin. When all this had been accomplished, the three of us did have a light breakfast. Although, as I was still shrunken, my breakfast was lighter than even Skogul's. And, I did state as much aloud!

She and Svyatogor did laugh at my little quip. Whereupon, the former did perch me on her left shoulder and shoot once more upward to a hundred English feet tall. In perfect concert with her father, at that!

In this fashion, did we begin our advance upon the island of Avar-aral. The terminus of the second leg of our journey.

As Vulda the shamaness had foreseen, the island was located at the apex of the lake's archipelago. And, my companions did reach it by using all the islands before it as literal stepping stones. Much as Lin Kuei had advised.

The foreseen cabin occupied the exact center of the island. And, also as foreseen, it did stand on two great wooden pillars carved in the semblance of rooster legs. So, that the front door of this residence was at veritable eye-level to the two Varangiants!

It was at this point that Skogul's father stepped forward one pace.

"Baba Yaga? Baba Yaga, come forth!"

The door burst open.

"Who dares call my name in such imperious fashion?"

The face that did look upon us was most horrible to behold. Full round, it was. Like a puffball just prior to the bursting of its seams. So, too, her right eye. While her left was as white and featureless as a hen's egg. And, her hair! Like charcoal-blackened straws on a broom that had seen better days. While what teeth she had left had all been filed to dagger-points.

Truly, Vulda had been kind when she had called this troll hag "loathsome!"

"I, Svyatogor Tyrsson, demand that you let this man pass. For, he has urgent business with your mistress."

Whereupon, Skogul put me back upon the ground. As she did so, I did shudder at the gaze that Baba Yaga did cast upon me. And, even more discomforting was her grin upon seeing me.

"By all means, then. Let him pass beneath...if he can."

No sooner had I accepted this dare than her cabin's clawed right leg did raise itself and try to descend upon me! Only to encounter the timely shield of the comely Skogul!!
Whreupon, her father did swing his seax towards the roof of Baba Yaga's cabin. Seeking to cleave the residence in two.

But, the right leg did sidestep the blow. While the clawed left leg sought to rake itself cross both of Svyatogor's knees. He jumped backward, however. Following through upon this with an attempt to return the favor. A backward swing of his seax at the knee of that left leg.

And, thus, was battle finally joined.

tbc